Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Cox_ba12

ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Mark Boesen Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 8:59 pm

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 7:46 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:29 am

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Yesterday at 9:49 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Yesterday at 6:32 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Sun May 12, 2024 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Sun May 12, 2024 8:55 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking..

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Empty Re: ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking..

Post  getback Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:48 am

I love the way you use what you have on hand and still Looks Great , I have a couple of the tanks but we are soooo far away Sad Nice jog on getting the rotors figures out and they also look good to go . I think it will fly ! ! Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Empty Re: ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking..

Post  MauricioB Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:51 am

Thank you very much dear friend rdw777 for your comment!!...sorry sometimes I don't know whether to use the name or the nick to address you!...out of respect I say it.

Eric, thank you very much for your intention, don't worry, I think this deposit will work well!!...you'll see when you see the ZOOM Copter MB land in your backyard! ha ha ha

Meanwhile I assembled the engine and placed it alone stacked to the assembly...looks good....

ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Img-2323
ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Img-2324
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:35 pm

Thank you for your respectfulness Mauricio Very Happy …. I am informal on proper names…. My esposa is Hispanic so I answer to Robert, Roberto, Beto….Watching with interest on your helicopter project…. I admire your re-engineering and using as many of the heli’s existing parts as possible to convert it to a motorized flying machine…. Best wishes with test flights Very Happy

Roberto
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:05 am

Hi MauricioB,
Thanks for sharing this project... Cool
I like the part,
That the bicycle spokes are used to going, round and round ! Smile
Keep going my friend,
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:26 am

Thank you Roberto!!...it really is a pleasure to be able to share here!...I appreciate your message, you are a person who puts a lot of dedication to your projects, admirable!
Thanks Dave, I hope we are having fun together!!!...
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:42 am

good friends!...I'm very happy with the final result, I'm sorry I did a good job, I'm happy. I don't know if it will work, but at least everything was done judiciously, respecting and copying the original Cox system. I hope Leroy Cox doesn't get mad for copying his work, I hope he is enjoying it like I am!...so I ask him to help me make my little helicopter fly.

So, I made a hub in grilon, since the axle originally only had a simple support.
Put ballast by copying Cox.
Position the shaft and apply grease to reduce friction.
Mount the .020 Pee Wee motor with shackle washers to allow better air intake into the motor.
I think everything is in place.
ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Img-2325
ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Img-2326
ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Img-2327
ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Img-2328
ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Img-2329
ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Img-2330
ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Img-2331
ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Img-2332
ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Img-2333
ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Img-2334
ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Img-2335
ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Img-2336
ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Img-2337
ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Img-2338
ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Img-2339
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:44 am

Here is the end result:
ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Img-2340
ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Img-2341
ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Img-2342

MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:46 am

Here with his big brother, Cox Sky Ranger .049 and COX MB Sky Ranger .020. United States Argentina
ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Img-2343
ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Img-2344
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:32 pm

WOW you have put the pedal to the metal and got a fine looking result / you have put alot more precis work into than I thought you would and I am sure it will make a big difference when she is fling ! The bearing made for it help and all greased up too .... I bet ur in the field chasing down the wild one right now LOL This Site Rocks! Popcorn Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:33 pm

I have been following this thread Mauricio and marvel at your ingenuity. I notice that the picture in your initial post does not match the Zoom Copter that you actually got. I checked ebay and found that the same Copter is offered in a few different styles.

After looking for awhile I found one like the Copter pictured in your first post and bought it, my grandson has a birthday coming up and I think that he would enjoy it. I'm just wondering if the seller will send that particular Copter or one like it.

ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Maur_c10

But, I have a spare Cox .020 SkyCopter engine and mount around here someplace...............
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:13 am

Mauricio, ¡tu helicóptero es verdaderamente fantástico!
Your helicopter is truly fantastic! Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:43 pm

Thanks guys!!, Your words are greatly appreciated!
Roberto, dear friend! It's good that you bought a Zoom Copter, because you're going to have fun with your grandson!!
What you see online doesn't always arrive, the color may vary, but in this case, it doesn't affect me, since I like the one I'm working with, and I'm already fond of it!, hahaha
Here I share a video of the initial march, everything is balanced and in its place! It seems to work!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:21 pm

Looks and runs great Mauricio, the rotor is well balanced, no wobble at all.

Congratulations and looking forward to your video about the maiden flight!
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:22 am

Very nice work Mauricio!…. Much thought and engineering went into converting the heli to be engine powered….. The video is a good tool to observe the tracking and balance of the rotor …. Rotates very smoothly…. Good job!
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:59 am

Clapping Clapping Clapping Beer Cheers That looks good and you have about 2 minutes of flight time should get it up hi enough to start autorotate for the decent Popcorn I think its ready !! Good Luck my friend ! Thumbs Up
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:36 pm

Hi Maurico,
Thanks for the great project,
You share with us... Cool
The Cox heli I saw go,
Had + diahedral on the blades...
Yours has negative ?
I am not a heli expert,
Good luck on the test flight, Smile
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:02 am

Great work Mauricio Very Happy

Engine propeller wobble can be seen in video. One tip of propeller is down. Perhaps there is a plastic flash on one side of propeller hub? Hub sides are not parallel?
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:00 pm

Hi guys, thanks, thanks for all the comments... I'm with the final adjustments.
I have managed to balance the rotor as it rotates using a counterweight, but in the video each beams on the bike was not precisely controlled, ie now they are all virtually identical (same angle).
The angles of each ray with respect to the inclination that each blade has left, is a copy of Cox's original helicopter, that is, the dihedral of the original blades is negative, "like an umbrella, let's say", I guess that does that form a parachute effect.
It is also true that the original Cox helicopter comes with a template to correct the angle of the beams as the helicopter flies, it happens that in each landing of the helicopter, depending on the landing, these angles can vary, so it is necessary to be checking that are always close to the beginning and equal to each other.
Regarding the fuel tank, I did several to achieve a safe trip.
This tank allows a march of almost two minutes, but in reality it is so that there is time to adjust the engine needle, then the helicopter is held for a few seconds that consumes fuel and then it launches. Engine runtime is something to evaluate as it can get lost, so I'll start with some minimal run tests until I have data.
Friends, also I don't know if it flies hahaha, so it's all in theory... I'm careful, but from what I can see when I hold it in my hands, it wants to leave! I Love This Forum! I Love This Forum! I Love This Forum! I Love This Forum!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:57 pm

Hi Mauricio,  I meant this:

ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Screen94
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:14 pm

Levent Suberk wrote:Hi Mauricio,  I meant this:

ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Screen94

ahhh ok ok, it happens that originally the line of the fuselage is not perfectly parallel to the rotor and that is what makes that difference.
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:43 pm

Mauricio, tu obra muestra una artesanía muy fina. Yo creo que tu helícoptero vuelara muy bien. 👍

Mauricio, your work shows a very fine craftsmanship. I believe that your helicopter will fly well. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:28 pm

Friends, the Sky Ranger .020 is a success!...after several flights, I can say that all the work done gave good results.
I understand that one more blade in the rotor would generate more support surface when autorotating for the descent, however, the plastic of the ski is not flexible and therefore when taking so much height and landing on the ski it broke, it could replace it with something more elastic, I'll see what I do.
In the meantime, I am very happy with the result and I recommend to those who dare to make one, since it really flies very well!
You can do it too!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:27 pm

Your just having way to much fun Mauricio (giggles) Smile with that little copter mod..

Looks like you have horizontal traveler rather that straight up and down. Makes you hike a bit to find it. Got mine yesterday, intact but the packaging is pretty much bent up, may not make a good present for my grandson. I will have to find another use for it, just wish I had your vision, ability and skill.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:37 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Looks like you have horizontal traveler rather that straight up and down.  Makes you hike a bit to find it.
Or, perhaps where Mauricio lives, they have a decent breeze most of the time like both Robert and I have in the desert like high plains of Texas and New Mexico with much open land without sufficient forests? Flying
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:21 pm

Roberto, you can surely do it too!!
Yes friends, regarding the wind, yes, today there was a breeze or wind. Approximately 17 km/h at the time it was launched, that's why the helicopter moves.
here a graph indicated with circle and blue arrow.
ZOOM Copter ...my crazy head is thinking.. - Page 2 Viento11
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next