Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Gnat rc plane Cox_ba12

Gnat rc plane Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 9:18 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Gnat rc plane Empty
Live on Patrol

Gnat rc plane

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Gnat rc plane Empty Gnat rc plane

Post  mitchg95 Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:06 pm

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1336
this looks like a great model for teedee .010 power Smile i would trade a parts .049 engine if someone could build it for me...
on the other note, has any one here have previous experiance with a single channel model airplane?
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Gnat rc plane Empty Re: Gnat rc plane

Post  mitchg95 Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:18 pm

or a red tank peewee
i would build it myself but i tend to start a project, get board after a few hours and move on to a new one. Its a mean cycle :'(
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Gnat rc plane Empty re: building project

Post  happydad Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:49 pm

mitchg95 wrote:or a red tank peewee
i would build it myself but i tend to start a project, get board after a few hours and move on to a new one. Its a mean cycle :'(

mitchg95: what part of the country is "lakewood" in. how would you want to handle shipping or would you want someone to build at your place? or maybe a partial build, then you assemble??

edit: 6:15p.m. after looking at the plan maybe you should think of a superlight or micro radio. like receiver and 2 servos at less than 2ounces. i have a micro receiver and 2 - 3.7gram servos at about 1ounce. it is for 2.4GHz.

happydad

SW california

Futaba Radio

Last edited by happydad on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added note about micro radio)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:51 pm

happydad wrote:

mitchg95: what part of the country is "lakewood" in. how would you want to handle shipping or would you want someone to build at your place? or maybe a partial build, then you assemble??

happydad

SW california

Futaba Radio

in colorado, id pay shipping and built to the point of final assembly and i would like to cover the model as that is my favorite part

p.s. the engine in my profile pic would be sitting in the plane
i have the radio gear
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:58 pm

Mitch!

C'mon man! That Gnat is an all sheet build with some Ply and balsa stock you could knock that thing out in an evening. Don't sell yourself short!

You can do it Mitch!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:00 pm

[quote="cribbs74"]

Mitch!

C'mon man! That Gnat is an all sheet build with some Ply and balsa stock you could knock that thing out in an evening. Don't sell yourself short!

You can do it Mitch![/quote

lol, ill have to try it. jus hope it does not end up in the skeleton pile lol
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  happydad Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:03 pm

mitchg95 wrote:
happydad wrote:

happydad

SW california

Futaba Radio

in colorado, id pay shipping and built to the point of final assembly and i would like to cover the model as that is my favorite part

i have the radio gear

i'm willing. let me look at the list of materials and get back to you. sunday is fathers day so maybe monday. i have a lot of wood and plywood of all thicknesses so i may have everything except thin hinges or maybe you would use monokote hinges. i do. cheap and easy to make and put on.
what kind of radio do you have? just curious. i downloaded the plan, but i will have to blowup, cut and paste to get fullsize, and i didn't see any ruler or lengths on the plan in my quick look.

p.s. covering all balsa is tricky. warping is common.

HD
Futaba Radio
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Gnat rc plane Empty re: single channel

Post  happydad Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:06 pm

mitchg95 wrote:http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1336
this looks like a great model for teedee .010 power Smile i would trade a parts .049 engine if someone could build it for me...
on the other note, has any one here have previous experiance with a single channel model airplane?

forgot to mention a key word to single channel control: FLYAWAY. no control for engine speed and elevator so...

HD

Futaba Radio
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Gnat rc plane Empty re: just do it!

Post  happydad Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:08 pm

[quote="mitchg95"]
cribbs74 wrote:

Mitch!

cribbs74: i agree with you, but just offering help if he wants it.

edit: 8:11p.m. looks like i have all the wood both balsa and ply. wood you want soft or hard or appropriate for where it is used? btw i also have a large supply of small light weight batteries, 4, 5 and 6cell 2/3AAA 200mAhr 4.8volt, 6volt and 7.2volt batteries. cheap.

HD

Futaba Radio

Last edited by happydad on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:16 pm

happydad wrote:
mitchg95 wrote:
happydad wrote:

happydad

SW california

Futaba Radio

i have the radio gear

i'm willing. let me look at the list of materials and get back to you. sunday is fathers day so maybe monday. i have a lot of wood and plywood of all thicknesses so i may have everything except thin hinges or maybe you would use monokote hinges. i do. cheap and easy to make and put on.
what kind of radio do you have? just curious. i downloaded the plan, but i will have to blowup, cut and paste to get fullsize, and i didn't see any ruler or lengths on the plan in my quick look.

HD
Futaba Radio

cool thanks HD, i have a couple 8g servos and im thinking a reciever like the ar600 or something smaller
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Gnat rc plane Empty re: micro receivers

Post  happydad Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:21 pm

mitchg95 wrote:
happydad wrote:
mitchg95 wrote:
happydad wrote:

happydad

SW california

Futaba Radio

i have the radio gear

HD
Futaba Radio

cool thanks HD, i have a couple 8g servos and im thinking a reciever like the ar600 or something smaller

i just got 2 - ar6100e off ebay for $7.xx each. 2.4GHz DSM2 only. 6 channel weigh 40grams i think.
anyway rx + 2 - 3.7gm. servos=.5ox. 4cell 4.8volt 200mAhr battery is 1ounce.

HD

Futaba Radio
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:21 pm

happydad wrote:
mitchg95 wrote:
happydad wrote:
mitchg95 wrote:
happydad wrote:

happydad

SW california

Futaba Radio

i have the radio gear

HD
Futaba Radio

i just got 2 - ar6100e off ebay for $7.xx each. 2.4GHz DSM2 only. 6 channel weigh 40grams i think.
anyway rx + 2 - 3.7gm. servos=.5ox. 4cell 4.8volt 200mAhr battery is 1ounce.

HD

Futaba Radio

would that be to heavy?
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:35 pm

happydad: which would you want if you are building this plane? Redtank peewee, good compression rtr (ready to run) or a .049 parts engine with a white backplate for an external fuel tank
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:39 pm

[quote="happydad"]
mitchg95 wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:

Mitch!

edit: 8:11p.m. looks like i have all the wood both balsa and ply. wood you want soft or hard or appropriate for where it is used? btw i also have a large supply of small light weight batteries, 4, 5 and 6cell 2/3AAA 200mAhr 4.8volt, 6volt and 7.2volt batteries. cheap.

HD

Futaba Radio

as long as the model is built strong, go ahead use either soft or hard or medium or what ever the plans call for , also can you add elevator to this?
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Gnat rc plane Empty re: add elevator??

Post  happydad Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:13 am

[quote="mitchg95"]
happydad wrote:
mitchg95 wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:

Mitch!

HD

Futaba Radio

as long as the model is built strong, go ahead use either soft or hard or medium or what ever the plans call for , also can you add elevator to this?

mitchg95: when i get to that point we can discuss size of rudder and elevator surfaces. when i downsized a 2meter sailplane to 1meter wingspan i found i had way too much control surface and had to reduce the moveable area. it was nice to have dual-rate controls in those days.

happydad Biplane

Futaba Radio
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:27 am

[quote="happydad"]
mitchg95 wrote:
happydad wrote:
mitchg95 wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:

Mitch!

HD

Futaba Radio

mitchg95: when i get to that point we can discuss size of rudder and elevator surfaces. when i downsized a 2meter sailplane to 1meter wingspan i found i had way too much control surface and had to reduce the moveable area. it was nice to have dual-rate controls in those days.

happydad Biplane

Futaba Radio

thanks so much, i cant wait bounce this looks like a neat plane for sure
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:02 pm

will a Hitec HS-55 servo work?
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Gnat rc plane Empty re: Gnat .010 plane progress

Post  happydad Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:43 pm

mitchg95 wrote:will a Hitec HS-55 servo work?

mitchg95: here is the progress so far. all wood parts including a little extra 1/16in. balsa for fuselage sheeting.

Gnat rc plane Gnatfu10
note weight: 1.5ounces

Gnat rc plane Gnatfu11

and a look at the fuselage with a couple of the bulkheads loose until we decide where they go to fit and balance the radio. NOTE: no landing gear discussed yet.

happydad Small Cox Logo

Futaba Radio
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:05 pm

Good work HD,

And quick too!! Surely with 2ch micro gear a .010 will pull it around. The wingspan on that plan is scary!!!!!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Gnat rc plane Empty re: Gnat update

Post  happydad Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:35 pm

cribbs74 wrote:Good work HD,

And quick too!! Surely with 2ch micro gear a .010 will pull it around. The wingspan on that plan is scary!!!!!

the designer of the Gnat says to "start" with an 8inch wingspan and trim as necessay for stability, but not less than 7 1/2inches. here is the latest update with part of the bottom side sheeted and my 6 channel 2.4GHz RX, 4.4gram and 2 - 9gram servos and my 4.8volt 220mAhr 1ounce battery. total weight so far without landing gear is 3.4ounces. allowing .5ounce for the .010, (i think mitchg95 said .5ounce), will be 3.9ounces.

Gnat rc plane Gnatfu12

edit: 9:40p.m. p.s. i am making templates of all the Gnat parts on 1/8inch basswood. ply is getting too expensive. after i clean up and sand smooth the templates they will be available for forum members to borrow. as long as they trace parts and do not cut parts with the templates.

happydad Small Cox Logo

Futaba Radio

Last edited by happydad on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added p.s. about borrowing templates)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:19 pm

thanks HD, the plane is looking great Smile the landing gear would be a good idea Smile
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:14 am

i recieved the Gnat from Happy Dad on the 16th, i love this thing it is absolutly awesome
i covered in monokote and econokote in with white wings and elevator, with a black fuselage
it has 1'' rubber tires up front, and a 1/2'' rubber tire in the back for a tail wheel
2, 3.7g micro servos, cox battery pack, and a micro 6 channel receiver
i do not know what the auw is yet as i am still looking for my digital scale
here are some pics
Gnat rc plane Sam_2015
Gnat rc plane Sam_2016
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:20 am

Nice, I hope your eyes are better than mine!
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:23 am

lol, thanks Indra. I might maiden this next monday Smile
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member