Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cox_ba12

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 10:20 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by 1/2A Nut Today at 10:17 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Empty
Live on Patrol

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Empty Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post  Kim Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:17 am

Down through the decades I've often used this term to very accurately describe some of our little creations as fate and weight took their tole on their airframes.

Finally deciding that such a colorful descriptor deserved it's own Official Airframe...I hereby christen and present this latest aerial debacle:  "The Epoxy Bomb" !

Finished in 5 and 15 minute epoxy, with a dash of Ambroid and CA thrown in for good measure, this overgrown 'Lil Bat shall hopefully take to the front yard skys later this week.  It's finish was accomplished by trowing on epoxy with a straight-edged piece of balsa, then sandwiching it between sheets of wax paper and two panes of glass, with scrap 12 volts batteries stacked on top to provide squish factor.

Initially powered by assorted tank engines, it will probably have a cavity hacked into the area behind the mount to receive a wedge tank to feed some of the beemers that lurk in yonder engine box.

I know it looks big for an .049 Packer, but this IS by design, as I want a friendly looper to share with bud Patrick as he explores the regions beyond "straight-and-level-with-an-occasional-bump" flying.

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1_26

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2_25

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3_20

Last edited by Kim on Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:25 am; edited 5 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post  PV Pilot Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:16 am

LOL!,,That's a big ole hunka lumber!
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post  Kim Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:25 am

I'm trying to insure that Sig always keeps FRESH Balsa Stock for my buds !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:50 am

Kim wrote:I'm trying to insure that Sig always keeps FRESH Balsa Stock for my buds !!!!

You have succeeded!

Bob Smith Industries is your buddy also. lol!
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:54 am

Kim, I'm curious as to what's holding the tail booms to the wing. Is there a small piece of ply cut into those booms? Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:02 am

The rudders.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:37 am

I see that. I guess I was seeing the epoxy that oozed out.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:10 am

Ken Cook wrote: I see that. I guess I was seeing the epoxy that oozed out.

Yep...there was plenty OOZING going on! The rudders lock everything together on the topside, but I also embedded some light fibreglass strips across the wing/pylons on the underside. The glass is invisible from being soaked with epoxy.

I may make some gussets for the pylons...but it ain't likely. 'Bout all I got left to do is figure the leadout locations, dab a little more epoxy here and there, and we're set to go !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:25 pm

After swapping out a cranky Black Widow that ran great on the stand but got scared when I bolted it up to the Epoxy Bomb, for a faithful Golden Bee, I got this thing in the air tonight. Amid assorted showers and evil clouds, the E.B. launched from it's elevated stooge with anemic success.

It's got some nasty quirks, like trying to tuck under when I bring it down to shoulder height (probably because of an aft C.G. and a too-springy pushrod). I think it also needs another penny glued to it's starboard wingtip, as it turned in on me during the few hard pulls I gave it.

All-in-all, not too bad a project. It DOES fly, and so there's hope! It's engine-out glide is the same ole plummet I expect from these flat plate airfoils, though I DID get what resembled an actual flair on one touch-down! Makes my Cox PT-19 look like a Grob 103 !

I intend to extend the snout a ways to move the C.G. forward, and replace the two truck wheels with a single light-weight unit.

\Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2_26

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1_27
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:17 pm

That's a great plane and I love the name, Epoxy Bomb. Next time I make an elevator I'm going to try my hand at stitching it on. It looks so much better than glue and cloth strips. Did you take that picture while you were flying it?
My small kit Kom-Bat is a squirrely little sucker. Launching from my elevated stooge is always a comedy of errors, I just never can guess where it might go when I set it free.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:41 am

RknRusty wrote:That's a great plane and I love the name, Epoxy Bomb. Next time I make an elevator I'm going to try my hand at stitching it on. It looks so much better than glue and cloth strips. Did you take that picture while you were flying it?
My small kit Kom-Bat is a squirrely little sucker. Launching from my elevated stooge is always a comedy of errors, I just never can guess where it might go when I set it free.

Thanks Rusty! Once I get a good engine running up front (Lucky 13 is up next!), I think it won't be a bad circle-turner! I really like the stitched elevators, and have yet to wear out a set of them. They do take a few flights to get totally loosened up, but they're getting there!

I tried taking photos as I flew--sometimes, I get really lucky and catch a great shot--but it wasn't happening yesterday. So, used my "Flip" video cam, just holding it up and letting it run through a couple flights, and captured a still frame from that footage.

Other than it's aggravating "tucking" problem, Epoxy Bomb flys a lot like my PT...just a tad more buoyant. It COULD use a few more feet of runway on takeoff, resembling one of Doolittle's B-25's launching from it's carrier, but I must admit that I somewhat enjoyed it's low swoop to the grass as the old Golden Bee did it's best to give the thing some flying speed.

My plan is to unceremoniously saw the top and bottom off the engine block, epoxy a hardwood extension to the stub, and move the engine out a ways. With the C.G. a little farther forward, perhaps this Balsa Overcast will be a bit more accommodating! And then...there's always one of them Tee Dees !!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:49 am

Rusty, if you do decide to stitch the stab unwaxed dental floss in m opinion works better than anything I ever used. I've used thread but it's failed me a few times. I'm using a Kevlar thread which is readily available and so far is working. I've used the waxed dental floss, but it's somewhat harder to keep tight. I do use a drop of CA on the finishing knot. I've pre finished many models in Monokote predrilling the holes in the stab and elevator then covered. I use the stitching needle to pop the holes through and begin my stitching. I made a template from aluminum with the desired hole spacing and I use this to prick the wood. It's important to keep the sets of holes properly lined up as it retains the stab from side to side. Many of my models utilize this so I therefore trim 1/4" off the elevator and stab and glue a 1/4" basswood strip back onto the halves as this is very strong and prevents tear out not to mention provides resistance against warping. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:58 am

Nice plane Kim,

Glad it worked for you. You need to rig your camera setup on a CL. It would make for an interesting video.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:05 am

cribbs74 wrote:Nice plane Kim,

Glad it worked for you. You need to rig your camera setup on a CL. It would make for an interesting video.

Ron

Am Gonna! The main problem with my plans is that I have so many, I tend to get into "Plan Pile-Ups"! Here's a video frame from my PT as it goes to combat with my all-time favorite vehicle !!!

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pt-1910
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddicted Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:15 am

Smile That's a good one!
coxaddicted
coxaddicted
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:29 am

Ha! Don't shoot the UPS guy!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:05 am

The big landing gear might be adding to the "tucking" problem. A bit draggy I am sure.

Congrats on the first flight of EB1!
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:16 pm

Kim:

Those HUGE wheels make the "Bomb" look like it's ready to fly in the Alaskan bush. Wink Wink Wink
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:24 pm

SuperDave wrote:Kim:

Those HUGE wheels make the "Bomb" look like it's ready to fly in the Alaskan bush. Wink Wink Wink

Yeah Dave! AND...they're Old-School "Perfect" wheels...so they are HEAVY !!!! The next time E.B 1 shows it's face, it's gonna have a longer snoot and a lighter landing gear !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:39 am

Kim wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:Nice plane Kim,

Ron

Am Gonna! The main problem with my plans is that I have so many, I tend to get into "Plan Pile-Ups"! Here's a video frame from my PT as it goes to combat with my all-time favorite vehicle !!!

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pt-1910

Is that a camera quirk, or is the fin REALLY that shape? lol!
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:23 am

That's the image "Snaking" from the engine's vibration. I tried to isolate the little camera as much as possible with foam and bubble wrap, and this was about the best I could do at the time. I'm gonna try a three-bladed prop next to see if I can cut down on the harmonics a bit !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:13 am

Kim wrote:
That's the image "Snaking" from the engine's vibration. I tried to isolate the little camera as much as possible with foam and bubble wrap, and this was about the best I could do at the time. I'm gonna try a three-bladed prop next to see if I can cut down on the harmonics a bit !!!

I was hoping that was the case! lol!
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:35 am

Hmmm..........................

Flying "tail feathers". What's nexT????? lol! lol! lol!

SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:18 am

SuperDave wrote:Hmmm..........................

Flying "tail feathers". What's nexT????? lol! lol! lol!

quad enigne 45" EB2 with flower bombs on a 3rd string release. Jack Northrop would be proud Kim.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:25 pm

Yes...the Union that should have been from the beginning...with Ron's Contest finally making it happen!

With a few chunks of hardwood and new bottles of 5-minute epoxy on hand, I deftly extended Epoxy Bomb's snout in hopes of bringing the C.G. a bit forward (Sure...just HAD to put THREE fins on the backside of the thing!), and just as deftly bolted the bedraggled mongrel to the new firewall.

Flight reports later in the day...

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1_19

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2_23

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3_19

Last edited by Kim on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next