Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 7 Cox_ba12

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 7 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 7 Empty
Live on Patrol

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited)

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 7 Empty Re: Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited)

Post  John Goddard Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:56 am

I forgot to ask what prop it has Matt?
If you've got some of Bernies yellow 5x3's
Find the straightest one with the most centred
Hole. Again my most recent (yesterday morning)
Experience shows it loads the engine less than
Any other prop/ it will really wake the motor up.
There's also the remove the head gasket option
And hope it still seals to take up some of the
Worn ball slack but....
Really that motor should come off.
I know staring at it at the moment you're dreading it
But once you've done and that sucker's running
Properly you'll be glad you did.
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 7 Empty What I would do...........

Post  Jaspur_x Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:47 pm

GET GRUMPY Computer Issues then put it on the shelf for a while Rolling Eyes then figure out how to get the engine off as simply as possible.........swap the p/c set and try again.

Recently I had a throttled peewee 020 that was being cranky just like your engine is..........soooooooooo I decided to teach the PeeWee a lesson, swap out the throttled p/c set onto My TeeDee 020 and mount that little screamer onto my "ugly bug" plane.
I suspect the needle is leaky o my peewee,or the intake gasket inside the tank/backplate, or since I bought the engine used it could be the needle cavity needs cleaned but I was just plain tired of that particular reedie and decided to put it in a time-out for misbehaving Rolling Eyes

p.s. stay tuned for the thread on the ugly bug,should be an interesting maiden flight video with the throttled TeeDee020 on the nose of a plane that the throttled PeeWee 020 was a bit of power overkill lol!
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 7 Empty Re: Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited)

Post  John Goddard Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:21 pm

Halllllleeeeeeeeeluuuuuuya
Tell it like it is Brother Jared
The PeeWee in the Bacaruda's got this weekend to shape up or ship out too

This is a'waitin in the wings.......

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 7 Pictur19

Plane designed for td010 power as well
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:42 pm

I've got a standard Cox 6x3 on it now, as I need power over speed to haul the heavy thing into the air. (too much speed as it is lol)

I switch back and forth between electric and glow. I just lost patience with electric (crash, see S.A.D. soon) so this will get a little more attention soon.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:47 pm

Honestly electric is the way to go.... Cox engines are just FUN Smile
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 7 Empty OH yeah

Post  Jaspur_x Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:24 pm

John Goddard wrote:Halllllleeeeeeeeeluuuuuuya
Tell it like it is Brother Jared
The PeeWee in the Bacaruda's got this weekend to shape up or ship out too

This is a'waitin in the wings.......

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 7 Pictur19

Plane designed for td010 power as well

I love my COX PeeWee 020`s but they are often referred to as TD020 parts donors when they misbehave beyond my patients limits for a reedie lol

And MFD, dude if the reedie 049 engine is such a big problem pm me man
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:31 pm

WingingIt74 wrote:Honestly electric is the way to go.... Cox engines are just FUN Smile

Ouch!!!!!!! Wink

Matt, if you take it off, you can fix the engine and design a way to make it more accessable at the same time.

Don't throw in the towel, it's worth the hassle.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ahrma_581 Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:12 pm

Weird thing I recently found, that may/may not be relevant. Oldish (metal backplate) BW, exhaust throttle, running Sig Champion 25%. Would start easily at first, needle, but after about 25 seconds (long enough to turn on tx/rcvr and get ready to handlaunch) it would just wheeze and die. Starting was a bit reluctant then, and would again die after 25 seconds or so.

Swapped out the glow plug and it ran fine for a short flight or two. Next day it started doing the same thing.

Remembered reading something here about one of the old Cox people periodically cleaning glowplugs with muriatic acid. Took both plugs and siphoned a bit of sulfuric acid out of a mc battery, let it soak the element for a couple minutes, then rinsed them up. After that it ran without a problem.

First plug was newish, came with the BW when I got it off ebay. Second was a fairly old used TD plug. Go figure.
ahrma_581
ahrma_581
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:11 pm

A year or so ago I had a rash of glowplugs failing, after never even having them go bad since I was a kid. I had just started using Sig 25 and 35 and finally blamed it for my problems. They were turning white and frosty too. I could wash them with alcohol and get another bur or two, but they were basically shot. I quit using Sig fuel and the problem went away. I finally gave the rest of it to Microflitedude. I don't know if he had any trouble or not. I started using the 35% again last month and so far no problems.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:22 pm

The engine will run through the whole tank on the ground without a problem.

Nothing odd about the glow plug. The engine is an easy starter, and will start right back up if stopped. (I usually hold the vents) I have used GPB and spiked Traxxas fuels.

Yes, electric is fun, quiet, clean, and convenient. Glow has the extra power, sound, smell, and pain we have all come to love despite everything. Smile
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:23 pm

Could a mildly imbalanced prop cause this? Or too large a prop?

(see previous post)
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:13 am

microflitedude wrote: Nothing odd about the glow plug. The engine is an easy starter, and will start right back up if stopped. (I usually hold the vents) I have used GPB and spiked Traxxas fuels.

Yes, electric is fun, quiet, clean, and convenient. Glow has the extra power, sound, smell, and pain we have all come to love despite everything. Smile

I don't know about gas having extra power....

oh, I picked up a used Habu last night Smile
Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 7 Attachment
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:27 am

microflitedude wrote:Could a mildly imbalanced prop cause this? Or too large a prop?

(see previous post)
I don't think so.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:42 am

Nice throttling you have there.

I'm only guessing here, but I think you may have it set too lean i.e. the mixture is set to an optimum on the ground. It will then run fine on the ground but a soon as the plane moves forward the load on the prop gets lower and the engine will, or should, rev up. The higher revs then have a higher need for fuel and thereby it needs a richer setting on the needle. So set it rich enough to stumble a bit on the ground and it may well then be fine in the air as the engine unloads.

You could possibly mimic the unloading in the air by blowing into the prop arc with compressed air. I haven't tried it myself, but someone has to be the first...
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:29 am

Haha, yeah hit it with 200mph air and see what it does. Might back off a bit to get a good test, that should work pretty well. I wish I didn't have to go to the tire store to fill my air tank or I would forge through the sleet and rain and try it now.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:56 pm

I ran it a little rich on the ground, and I think it ran a little better in the air. I'm not sure how hot these are supposed to get, but a drop of fuel on the head will instantly boil off after a 2 minute flight. If the mixture doesn't work, its off with the engine! Shocked

I've got a gas leaf blower...

"Funnyfarm? Yes, my young neighbor is blasting a leafblower into an airplane with a tiny screeching engine..." lol!

Ha! Snow! I didn't believe it could happen. I'm glad it did though. Smile
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:57 pm

If you are flying in the snow you might be over cooling the engine and the glow plug is going out. For my snow flight experience I have wrapped some yard deep in the cooling fin grooves so the head stays lit since I was having no problem on the ground but the plane would die in the air.

This was control line with no throttle. The risk is overheating the glow head and burning it out. Little or no risk to the engine otherwise.

Phil

PS was the boiling fuel after the engine quit in the air?
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:48 pm

Not flying in snow - was in the 60's and sunny.

Yes, after I ran the tank out and landed, I dropped some fuel on the head.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:28 pm

I think your Norvel is going on my FF5 next
Week Matt.
I could always send it back Stateside....
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:26 am

That would bring a whole new meaning to the word "rocket". Very Happy

Have fun with it! Flying
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:58 am

WingingIt74 wrote:
microflitedude wrote: Nothing odd about the glow plug. The engine is an easy starter, and will start right back up if stopped. (I usually hold the vents) I have used GPB and spiked Traxxas fuels.

I don't know about gas having extra power....

oh, I picked up a used Habu last night Smile
Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 7 Attachment

4 hours, two planes, a swap meet, and $95 later...

New UMX GeeBee and a used Flyzone Select Scale Cessna Corvalis 400.

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 7 Hpim0310

microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 7 Empty I second that motion

Post  Jaspur_x Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:27 pm

[quote="Surfer_kris"]Nice throttling you have there.

I'm only guessing here, but I think you may have it set too lean i.e. the mixture is set to an optimum on the ground. It will then run fine on the ground but a soon as the plane moves forward the load on the prop gets lower and the engine will, or should, rev up. The higher revs then have a higher need for fuel and thereby it needs a richer setting on the needle. So set it rich enough to stumble a bit on the ground and it may well then be fine in the air as the engine unloads.

I do believe I had this once or twice myself now that he mentioned it.
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum