Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

prop balancer - my magnetic prop balancer Cox_ba12

prop balancer - my magnetic prop balancer Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 5:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 5:27 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by rsv1cox Today at 5:07 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by getback Today at 3:25 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Today at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

prop balancer - my magnetic prop balancer Empty
Live on Patrol

my magnetic prop balancer

Go down

prop balancer - my magnetic prop balancer Empty my magnetic prop balancer

Post  roddie Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:35 pm

Here's a twist on a Great Planes "finger-tip" balance-shaft and the use of "rare-earth" magnets I got from Radio Shack. You've all seen the various magnetic balancers out there... Here's one you can build, if you like "building things"... (requests "smiley" with a hammer)

You will need a Great Planes "finger-tip" balance-shaft or equivalent, and "rare-earth" magnets similar to the one's "Radio Shack" sells in a 2-pack; which are approx. 3/16" in dia. x 1/16" thick. (see links below)

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Planes-Fingertip-Balancer-GPMQ5000/dp/B001BHK54W

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102642

My balancer has a prop capacity of 16.5" dia. (only because that's the size I decided to make)
Note: the largest prop I checked the balance on... was the largest I had; an APC 11 x 6

Here's a couple pics... Note: "Kavan" fingertip balancer shown... substitute w/"Great Planes"
prop balancer - my magnetic prop balancer Prop_b17
prop balancer - my magnetic prop balancer Prop_b18

I made a wood frame; consisting of a 6" sq. plywood base and top, with 2 uprights that were 1/4" thick x 1 1/2" wide (fir "lattice" would work fine) placed wide enough to accommodate the balance-shaft plus the magnets... plus a pair of 1/4-20 x 1"L. hex-head bolts; allowing for fine adjustment and expansion/contraction of the wooden frame. I CA glued the magnets to the two 1/4-20 hex-head bolts ends... and drilled/tapped the 2 wooden "vertical" pcs. to receive them... (tapping was a little excessive... but that's me...) My fixture is held together with 4 metal corner braces, but what's important is having the 2 adjustment points level... and "adjustable". The frame/base and top, could be however you choose to build it.

As with most magnetic balancers; the "needle-point" of the balance-shaft only contacts "one" of the magnets. The other end of the balance-shaft "floats" in the opposite magnets' "magnetic field". I personally think that this "concept" is as close as you're gonna get... to "accurately" balancing your props... which is very important for a number of reasons... less vibration... which equals; less wear on your engine, airframe, radio equipment and less fuel foaming.

What "my" design allows for; is the adjustability of the magnetic field that suspends the balance-shaft. I.E. you would "begin" balancing; with "both ends" of the shaft; in contact with "both" of the magnets... then "back-off" the adjustment-bolts; to where one side "falls off" because of gravity. Screw "either" of one side back "in" slightly until the shaft "floats" again; and lightly flick the prop to rotate it. If it falls again... adjust a magnet (bolt) "in" a little more... (Ideally... "pulsing" a little elec. fan on and off; to rotate the prop for final balancing is key.)

The little "cable" you see in the pics; is just a "storage-retainer" I made... so I don't ever lose the balance-shaft.

If anything is unclear/confusing... let me know. I'd be happy to clarify.

Roger

Last edited by roddie on Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:55 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Originally)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

prop balancer - my magnetic prop balancer Empty Re: my magnetic prop balancer

Post  RknRusty Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:47 am

I like it. I guess I missed this thread. I'd forgotten Radio Shack had rare earth magnets. I've always gutted hard drives to get them. I use them for all kinds of things, from fridge magnets to table cloth retainers on the outdoor metal table. I like magnets that will give you a blood blister.

Nice balancer. Another Roddie classic.

Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks Rusty, FYI... WalMart has them too, but they're twice the size of Radio Shack's @ .472" dia. and .118" in thickness. Cost is $11 for a 6pk.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down