Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

TD050 R/C performance Cox_ba12

TD050 R/C performance Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 5:36 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 5:36 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 3:38 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:42 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 2:22 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

TD050 R/C performance Empty
Live on Patrol

TD050 R/C performance

Go down

TD050 R/C performance Empty TD050 R/C performance

Post  balogh Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:17 pm

I browsed the net but have not found any test on the TeeDee050 R/C engine. This is a non-SPI design with a muffler and R/C carb. I find it logical it is somewhat slower than the TeeDee049 or 051 that have SPI. The owners manual I have in the box of my TeeDee050 does not say anything about a test bench performance data, but mine spins around 19k with the 5x4 propeller with which the 051  tachs around 21k. The manual of the 050 says the engine speed should be limited at 21k. I assume this refers to a 5x3 prop.

Anyone has ever tached the 050 or read any report that is available on the net?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

TD050 R/C performance Empty Re: TD050 R/C performance

Post  Surfer_kris Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:57 am

I haven't seen any test data or review of this engine but I have one myself that I've used in a "Yellow Jacket".
I have modified mine a bit. I didn't like the big gap between the muffler and cylinder, so I've sealed that off. I haven't tried with large amounts of nitro, only my regular 10% (and 20% all castor). For reliable running I've tested a few heads. The TD heads are too high in compression ratio (can be shimmed of course) and the Babe Bee ones are too low...

The best performance I gotten using a Turbo head and warm plugs (P3 from OS). On a graupner 6x3 prop it would do around 17200rpm but it was never really happy on that prop. The APC 5.7x3 seemed better, can't remember what revs it made on that prop though...

An early run on the regular cox head can be seen below, I haven't made any video with the Turbo head.
One annoying things is that the vibrations will cause the muffler to wear away on the plastic locking tab, so it just moves and vibrates more and more.... I haven't found any good way to stop or limit that.

Another annoying things is that one cannot (or at least I've struggled) adjust the airbleed with the engine running... :/

These little issues combined made me try a Norvel engine instead, and then there was simply no way back...

TD050 R/C performance Img_1321

Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:12 am

Thanks a lot...though I am an obsessed COX lover, I must admit to have also encountered on my TD050 some of the annoying things you listed ...the reason I still did not shift to Norvel is, apart rom my faith in COX, my bitter experience with a brand new BigMig 061 R/C I bought from them last year, which had the poorest compression i have ever seen, and in only absolutely worn out engines...I was not surprised as I have never met any engineered product made in Russia of at least acceptable quality (believe me I lived behind the iron curtain for 40 years with tons of Russian rubbish sold in our part of the world with no access to real quality stuff). Russian quality has not changed, it simply approaches the Chinese quality (rubbish on square) assymptotically from below.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: