Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

test stands - Another hare-brained idea   Cox_ba12

test stands - Another hare-brained idea   Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Today at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 4:02 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:34 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 8:21 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Tue May 07, 2024 7:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

test stands - Another hare-brained idea   Empty
Live on Patrol

Another hare-brained idea

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Shocked Another hare-brained idea

Post  batjac Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:53 am

Well, a few months ago when I was over at Delta Park and flew Duke's e-Beginner's Ringmaster, I told him I had an idea that I thought I'd follow up sometime for an electric C/L setup.  I've seen the guys using the R/C car transmitters as control handles, or using aircraft transmitters from their neck or strapped to their body.  Or, if you really want to spend some bucks, there are a couple of expensive commercial electric handles.  But I figured I'd make my own cheapie electric handle.  So, I started a couple of days ago on one.  As usual, I jumped in without taking pictures at the start.  I started with a spare 4 channel transmitter that I got with a Blade MCX.  Anyone who's bought the Blade micro copters and bound them to their Spektrum radio has a couple of these around, so it seemed like a good start.  For Y'all who don't have one, here's what the stock Blade transmitter looks like:
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1087_zpse44e4211

So, after removing the board from the case and stripping off all the unnecessary stuff, here's what's left:
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1079_zps596db247

To power it, I'll use this 500mAh battery and a step-up regulator that I got from the Hobby King USA Warehouse last year to use on 1/2A R/C planes.  
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1082_zps4db6e41b

The receiver will be a cheap DSM2 receiver I got from Value Hobby last year for 8 bucks.
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1088_zps9b94a763

First I measured out the position of the applicable controls and cut out slots/holes for them in a piece of 1/32 ply, and glued in four pieces of 3/32 bass dowel for the circuit board.  I only made slots for the throttle channel and the power switch, holes for throttle trim, power light, and the right stick in the neutral position.  It still has the other three channels available, so If i need them I can cut slots out for them at a later date.
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1089_zpsbeffd304

I glued on some side panels, then cut a back panel out of another piece of 3/32 ply.
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1090_zpsfb9ae289
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1093_zpsec7a4324

Test fitting the board in the case.
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1094_zps5cb73f44
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1096_zps6a3459f3

I plugged in the battery and turned the transmitter on.  The transmitter beeped twice and the light came on.  With everything looking good, I closed it all up and installed the battery.
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1097_zpsdb4e6597
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1098_zps813ccae6

Looking good.  So I hooked up a servo to the throttle channel to test the transmitter for proper operation.
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1099_zps2d42c1af

But, not so good.  I had thought I'd bound the transmitter and receiver previously, but no joy.  In fact, the transmitter wouldn't bind at all.  It just kept beeping rapidly at me.  So, I disassembled it all and tried again.   Still the same, so I push and pulled and prodded, and the beeping stopped when I pushed the switch for low rates.  So, I bound the transmitter to the receiver before closing it all up again.  It worked, so I closed everything up and tried again.  This time the servo tracked with the throttle stick.
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1101_zps621c8f00

Tomorrow I'll work on the mounting scheme.  I'll make a mount and a control handle for the box to attach to, and also make some kind of attachment point so that I can strap the box to my leg if I want to use a standard handle.

The Hare-Brained Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Shocked Re: Another hare-brained idea

Post  duke.johnson Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:09 am

I'm watching this one Mark. Keep up the good work.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:27 am

I think I may have missed or misread something...why not use the original case and strap it down?

Does throttle hold position? If it doesn't then you need to hold the throttle position the entire time.

A cheap spread spectrum car transmitter/receiver seems in the same $$ ballpark as where you are going.

I assume you are going to build a full function scale bird, or a carrier plane, with this.

How do you plan to finish the case, black paint or poly varnish?

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:40 am

Hair Brained, maybe. But creative for sure. And obviously spare time on your hands too. lol! 

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:52 pm

pkrankow wrote:I think I may have missed or misread something...why not use the original case and strap it down?  

Does throttle hold position?  If it doesn't then you need to hold the throttle position the entire time.

A cheap spread spectrum car transmitter/receiver seems in the same $$ ballpark as where you are going.  

I assume you are going to build a full function scale bird, or a carrier plane, with this.

How do you plan to finish the case, black paint or poly varnish?

Phil

I could have used the original case strapped to my leg, but I wanted to have it on the handle, and the original case would have been very difficult and awkward to attach to a handle.  Also a lot heavier than this little box.  An extra five or six ounces doesn't sound like much, but that's weight being held at arm's length for a few minutes getting heavier that I don't need if I don't have to.  Besides, why leave something as-is when I can cut it to pieces and rebuild it again...

It's the normal Mode 2 throttle stick, so yes, it does hold the position it's set to.

I already had the transmitter/receiver/handle sitting in the closet not being used, so cost was $0.00 out of pocket for me.  $30.00 shipped for the cheapest car radio I've found is still more expensive, plus the work/expense I'd have to put into it making it into a handle.  I'm not sure if you've played much with those car transmitters, but they're way heavier than one of the Blade 4 channel transmitters.  Besides, the car transmitter would only be three channels. I need all four channels. I NEED all four channels.

If the throttle control works well on a test bird, I'm thinking of using one channel as a stooge release, with a 5 gram servo on the plane to release a stooge string.  I have a nice set of mini-retracts for another channel, and who knows what the fourth channel would be for.  If I get really ambitious, I can replace the third and fourth channels with a toggle switch and a pot to use for flaps or something.  But, realistically, I'll probably just make sure it works, and then leave it as it is or simply add the rudder channel as a stooge release, because I have so many other projects queued up in my mind.  This'll stay as just an electronic throttle for whatever electric plane I want to fly at the moment.

To finish it, I'm just going to shoot it with LustreKote.  Since I have a few other planes waiting for paint, I'll just paint this at the same time with one of the colors I'm using.  Probably white or red.  Or I may get fancy and do a multi-color paint scheme.  Depends on my whim at the moment.

The NEEDY Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:02 pm

RknRusty wrote:Hair Brained, maybe. But creative for sure. And obviously spare time on your hands too. lol! 

It's not spare time.  It's time carefully hoarded for my sanity.  I have my brother-in-law living with us for the past year, my 23 year old stepson moving in and out when he has nowhere else to go, bill collectors calling for my B-i-L or step-son regularly, my B-i-L or stepson or Mother-in-Law regularly borrowing money,  my wife recovering from surgeries every few months, and my mother who was living with us passed away a couple of weeks ago.  I have lots on my plate recently.  I usually trade some sleep time for project time.  When I get home from work, my wife usually takes one look at me and says, "Go relax and work on something".  She knows I need the decompression time, and working on projects restores my calm.

The "On the Edge" Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:55 pm

Mark
Take a step back from the edge and breath. I'm sorry to hear of all your trouble. We're here for you though.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  we6oz Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:12 pm

Out of curiosity, what did You do with the last bit of the antenna "whip"?
we6oz
we6oz
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:50 pm

we6oz wrote:Out of curiosity, what did You do with the last bit of the antenna "whip"?

Well, it didn't fit too well in the box, and I didn't feel like making an extension out the side, so I just cut it off. No big deal, right? You gotta do what you gotta do... Seriously, though. If you look closely at the picture of test fitting the board in the box, you'll see the antenna is down along the right side of the box. I know it decreases the signal along the path it's going to go to the model, but at the 40-50 feet max range it's going to be needed, it should work okay. If not, I'll drill a hole in the side of the box and use the original antenna housing from the eFlight transmitter.

The Hilarious Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:50 pm

duke.johnson wrote:Mark
Take a step back from the edge and breath.  I'm sorry to hear of all your trouble. We're here for you though.

Thanks, Duke. Much appreciated.
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:52 pm

Mark,
Don't underestimate the value of getting enough sleep when things get crazy. When things spiral in my life and it's hitting the fan proper sleep is one of the things I can control that helps me keep my sanity.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:09 pm

RknRusty wrote:Hair Brained, maybe. But creative for sure. And obviously spare time on your hands too. lol! 
I understand. I had no intention of sounding snarky. I'm glad you have an outlet for creative decompression.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:58 pm

RknRusty wrote:I understand. I had no intention of sounding snarky. I'm glad you have an outlet for creative decompression.
Rusty

Don't worry, I didn't take it wrong. It was just one of those days today. Feel free to snark away... lol! 

The "Can Take a Joke" Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  we6oz Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:39 pm

batjac wrote:
we6oz wrote:Out of curiosity, what did You do with the last bit of the antenna "whip"?

Well, it didn't fit too well in the box, and I didn't feel like making an extension out the side, so I just cut it off.  No big deal, right?  You gotta do what you gotta do...  Seriously, though.  If you look closely at the picture of test fitting the board in the box, you'll see the antenna is down along the right side of the box.  I know it decreases the signal along the path it's going to go to the model, but at the 40-50 feet max range it's going to be needed, it should work okay.   If not, I'll drill a hole in the side of the box and use the original antenna housing from the eFlight transmitter.

The Hilarious Mark

"No big deal, right?"....well, sorta/kinda-a little....

When you trim or prune an antenna set for a specific frequency you raise the antenna's harmonic resonance which will effect both performance, distance, and eventually "fry" your transmitter final amplifier transistor.
we6oz
we6oz
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Shocked The good news...

Post  we6oz Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:54 pm

....did you save the end, or remember how long it was?
You can solder an equally long piece of copper wire to the end to adjust for your mismatch, but RF is finicky when it comes to being bent-back towards it's own antenna as well....hmm.
I'd find out the exact freq. on 2.4 you're operating on, and follow the ARRL's recipe for a 1/4 wavelength dipole and draw one on an old unused circuit board, then etch it, cut-off the old antenna, and solder the PC board antenna in it's place.

Kinda getting technical, I know, but I can totally imagine a few different antenna arrangements for that 'lil box.

Oz.
we6oz
we6oz
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:03 am

Oz, read my response again. I didn't really cut the end off of the antenna.

The Apparently Convincing Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:43 am

Well, I was going to cut a handle out of 1/4" ply for this, but it would take too much effort to pull out and set up the scroll saw right now, so I just used a SIG handle instead.  This actually looked much more neat and tidy in my head. But it's functional.  It'll look better once it's painted up.  I just need some aluminum to bend for a belt clip and attach it to the back.  I was going to make a locking tab for the handle, but it's a pretty tight friction fit as is.
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1105_zpsc8878d38
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1102_zpsadfbbf2d
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1103_zps17671c4d

This seems pretty light as I hold it up at arm's length.  I'll pull out another stock Blade transmitter and do a weight comparison between that and this rig.

The Untidy Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Another interesting series of postings.

I am watching this one closely - idea stealing again!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Shocked Tested on an airplane. Test sat.

Post  batjac Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:23 pm

So I hooked the receiver to a plane and gave it a shot.  It worked pretty good.  I'll tach it sometime when I can get outside while it's light out.  But, I had the wife take some shots while I hold it to show that, yes, it really does work.  Now to just paint it up and put the tab on the back and it'll be finished.
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1109_zpsb21809fc
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1113_zps5f96afc6

I even went so far as to take a few minutes and figure out how to upload my first video to YouTube.

The Almost Finished Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:10 pm

Mine may be ugly, but it's certainly cheaper and lighter than this one:
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=33111.0

Looks like he just took a Losi radio and mounted a piece of 1/16" aluminum angle to it.

The "Easy on the Wallet, Not the Eyes" Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Shocked On the eve of battle...

Post  batjac Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:08 pm

The weather wasn’t rainy yesterday, though it was humid, so I figured I’d paint up the box.  Since it’s just an experiment, I didn’t worry about how the paint would look when it dries due to the humidity.  And, since this for electric and wouldn’t see any glow fuel, I just put a couple of light coats of paint, not trying to get the best, even color and coverage out of it.  I would have preferred to paint it black, but keeping with the theme of just using leftovers I have on hand, I used some Royal Blue Lustrekote I had left from my Baby Ringmaster project.

test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1154_zps3526ad13
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1151_zps225476d5

Weighing the new box and comparing it to an original Blade transmitter, it only weights a little more than 1/4 of the original transmitter weight, shedding eight ounces, or 218 grams.  Stock:
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1146_zps61fae29b
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1145_zps91575365

After:
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1149_zps02a7f3b7
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1150_zpsd4101960

If it’s not raining tomorrow, I’ll take the rig out to test fly it.  The EMAX 2812 motor I used for the plane is a 140 Watt motor.  I haven’t used my wattmeter to select the prop to get the most power out of the motor, but I used the suggested 7x4 prop, so it should pull close to max power.  Using the target of 11 watts/ounce that is suggested over on Stunthanger, that comes out to 12.72 ounce target weight for the plane (140/11 = 12.72).  Weighing the plane and the electric components came out to 12.8 ounces.  Serendipity, indeed!  So, figuring the 11W/oz is good for an acro C/L plane, it should at least fly this plank wing in circles with no problem.   We’ll see on the morrow.

I’m off to cut some coroplast for an electric Osborne Platter to get the son in the air next weekend using the e-flight timers I bought a couple of months ago, along with the other EMAX motor I have awaiting the outcome of this experiment.  He has a Babe Bee powered platter he likes to fly, so this should be an easy transition for him to e-flight.

The Serendipitous Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:12 pm

Oops!  Just remembered that I haven't range checked this yet.  So, I taped a flag to a servo and put it out on the front entry.  Then I walked backward while moving the throttle up and down, watching the flag to ensure it was still getting a signal.  I walked back 70 feet, and still had a signal, so it should have no problem on the 35 foot lines I'll use.
test stands - Another hare-brained idea   DSCN1166_zps15dfd131

Man! Looking back on this post, I'm pretty long-winded.  Ah, well. 'Least you know I'm still alive...

The Ranger Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:03 am

Remember to do the range check when the equipment is mounted in the plane and all set up ready to fly. I have found that strange combinations affect range.

I recently built a small Park Flyer and fitted carbon push rods for lightness. It failed the range test!

I read that carbon rods affect range and so I replaced them. Still failed the range test!

Swapped the receiver and still failed.

Moved the receiver backwards 1/4" and it passed. It then passed with the original carbon rods.

????????
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:43 pm

ian1954 wrote:Remember to do the range check when the equipment is mounted in the plane and all set up ready to fly. I have found that strange combinations affect range.

I recently built a small Park Flyer and fitted carbon push rods for lightness. It failed the range test!

I read that carbon rods affect range and so I replaced them. Still failed the range test!

Swapped the receiver and still failed.

Moved the receiver backwards 1/4" and it passed. It then passed with the original carbon rods.

????????

Thanks, Ian. I'll range check it as ready to fly. I mounted the receiver inboard so it has a line-of-sight connection to the box, but it can't hurt to verify.

The  Huh... Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:44 pm

For what it is worth...carbon fiber is conductive...just saying

I can NOT (with decades of Ham Radio and extensive RF training) understand why a Fuselage with carbon longerons have ANY effect on a 2.4Mhz receiving system, unless they are acting as a FARADAY cage (UNLIKELY)

I suspect antenna orientation was the problem (why many many 2.4 folks use multiple antenna modules)
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next