Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Any idea what kit this is? Cox_ba12

Any idea what kit this is? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 3:38 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Today at 3:23 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:42 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 2:22 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 10:32 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Any idea what kit this is? Empty
Live on Patrol

Any idea what kit this is?

Go down

Sad Any idea what kit this is?

Post  daddyo Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:33 pm

I think it's a Fokker DVII from around 1960.  It's been in attics since then, after my dad built & flew it.  It's got a McCoy 0.35 and 32" wingspan.  I want to replicate it into a built-up electric R/C and it'd be great if I could actually find a kit, decals, or plans.  Probably thicken the wing up a lot and lighten it.  Any ideas?

Any idea what kit this is? <a href=Any idea what kit this is? Dad_s_11" />

Last edited by daddyo on Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
daddyo
daddyo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: Any idea what kit this is?

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:44 am

It's a bit hard to tell from this picture, it might be a C series Sterling scale Fokker. I believe this was denoted C-6. Many of the C series kits had their fuse built like a conventional stick and tissue model. This one appears sheeted. This could also be due to the box shape of the Fokker. I know Berkley made some scale like kits which used interlocking planking which were glued on and then the radius was sanded into them. Old models can be quite problematic. The tanks are buried in some of these models and gaining access means a bit of surgery. The glue especially if Ambroid was used has shrunk out of the joints leaving very little  strength. Sterling used a poplar plywood which by this day and age is so brittle it probably will pull the screw of the bellcrank through it. Oil soaking and creepage is another problem in the engine crutch area.

Sterling's plans were very lacking. Plans were never full size with the exception of the C-series kits. The plans for these kits were drawn very accurately and to scale. You could virtually replicate any part from them. They were also 2-3 pages opposed to one sheet from their conventional kit plans. While the plans were drawn with quality, the wood as usual was incredibly heavy and hard. Reason being is that these kits had some very intricate die cutting due to the stringers and longerons used to make the fuse. Soft wood would more or less pulverize during the cutting process and quite honestly the hard stuff wasn't much better.

If this is indeed a Sterling kit, a new in the box kit generally brings anywhere from $70-$100. These still bring pretty good money depending on the model as some were quite favorable over others. Box art and condition is everything when it comes to kit collecting. However, due to their scale appearance, these kits were quite appealing to the scale builders as weight isn't as much of a concern as it is to stunt flyers. The upper wing connection of these planes were poorly designed. It wasn't uncommon to shed the wing if it was built per the plan. While this wasn't something that happened immediately, it could happen. The wings were built, covered, and the strut was just inserted through the small opening which generally was a sloppy fit. Later some of the plans added that you glue small scraps of balsa on the inside around the strut and double glue these penetration then cover the top of the wing on the model.

Dankar, a member of this forum is quite knowledgeable in these kits. He was selling some of these kits a while back. Many times these kits had spun aluminum parts for one reason or another were missing from kits due to people losing them or using them on another build or just replacing crash damage. Dankar would also be more knowledgeable to costs of these kits. I have plans for the C series PT-17. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  daddyo Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:32 pm

Thanks a lot Ken for the detailed info. The fuse is sheeted and nose soaked with oil, a very heavy plane, but maybe that's why it survived. I never lift it by the top wing, feels like it'll just pop off as you mention.

Do you think these two listings are actually the same kit, just different production years?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sterling-Models-Fokker-D-7-New-In-Box-/321419488416?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item4ad6182ca0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sterling-C-8-Control-Line-Fokker-D-7-Balsa-Model-Airplane-Kit-/301213197113?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item4621b4a339
daddyo
daddyo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:48 pm

Same Kit. The pink one is earlier.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:28 pm

they looked the same /but earlier as Ron said Ken is retired but still OK ! a lot of diff. in the price but the older one has a lot more details after reading that I am ok....getback lol! 
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:19 pm

While I think that might be the kit, I still have some uncertainty to the front end of yours. The wingspan sounds correct. Larry Rice the owner of Blackhawk models reproduced a kit that Sig used to produce which was the Fokker DVII profile. If control line is your choice, this plane would assemble quick, the wood is lighter typically than the Sterling and it should be maneuverable. I certainly wouldn't hesitate yanking that ole Mccoy off of there and have it make a comeback out of retirement. It would certainly be a wise choice for the Blackhawk version. A profile kit generally runs about $70. http://www.blackhawkmodels.com/sigd7.html  It claims all hardware comes with it and it seems to be approx the same size. It's even shown with the Mccoy on it in the picture. One thing I was always had suspicions about on the Sterling Flying Fool  that the upper and lower wing were too close coupled. This makes for a lot of drag. I see on the Blackhawk Fokker that the wings are spaced apart. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down