Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

fuel oil delivery today Cox_ba12

fuel oil delivery today Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 12:20 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

fuel oil delivery today Empty
Live on Patrol

fuel oil delivery today

Go down

fuel oil delivery today Empty fuel oil delivery today

Post  roddie Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:28 pm

I have a 275 Gal. fuel oil tank.. 170.1 Gal. were delivered about an hour ago. (automatic delivery.. where the tank is "topped-off") So.. I should have "had" approx. 105 Gal. prior to the delivery... although I had not checked the tank gage in a week or so.

Here's what the tank gage reads now... (after the delivery...)

fuel oil delivery today Fuel_g10

At $4.219/Gal. and a $717.48 invoice... it BETTER be full!... The gage float must be stuck...? I called the dealer, because we have a service contract with them...

My being on lay-off.. and my unemployment benefits having just expired... I'm gonna' have to start playing piano on street corners with a tip jar...

Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

fuel oil delivery today Empty Re: fuel oil delivery today

Post  pkrankow Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:31 pm

Dip the tank. Then you will know. Should be no effort. If you have a yardstick that would be perfect, a broomstick or even a clean piece of lumber will also work fine. Don't let go, you tank probably is deeper than 3 ft so you are gauging from the top.

Phil

pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:38 pm

Probably a stuck float. But there was a fuel delivery guy here that was putting diesel in his delivery truck on the custmers dime. He got caught when the invoice was for 550 gallons and the farmer only had a 500 gallon tank......
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:29 pm

Jason_WI wrote:Probably a stuck float. But there was a fuel delivery guy here that was putting diesel in his delivery truck on the custmers dime. He got caught when the invoice was for 550 gallons and the farmer only had a 500 gallon tank......

I've heard stories where burner jets were replaced with one's with larger orifices at tune-up time...  No!  Can you imagine!

I just took another look.. and tried turning the gage tube... It is R/H threaded... and when I loosened it, the float began to rise slowly to full... so the float was stuck. I'll have to remember to do this with each delivery. It probably reads accurately as it empties...

Thanks Guys,
Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:50 am

Knocking on the tank always works for me as my tank is under the stairs and hard to see. I personally service my heater because of the lack of ability the oil company provided with their service contracts. They could never fix any problems that occurred in a timely manner, they never fully did what was claimed on the service contracts, and it always ended up costing me money. When the smoke pipe came apart one evening that was the final straw due to screws not being properly installed. They have a great habit of doing that. In addition, when I clean the furnace it generally takes me 6 hours from soup to nuts to do it properly. When the oil company would service the unit it was being done in less than 2 hours. The boiler pins take at least that long to properly clean. After using 5 different oil companies and all of them showing similar characteristics, I figured if I'm the one footing the bill here, I don't mind taking the risk to do it myself. I have a service tech adjust for CO and smoke when I'm through and he's told me he couldn't do any better himself. I'm running in the high 80% for efficiency opposed to mid to low 70's prior. Cleaning the boiler annually is not a chore which it once was and this is immediately recognizable in the smoke pipe.

Think of it as a giant engine, it's very similar as it shares the same characteristics. I never thought I would be servicing the unit and I always felt overwhelmed to do so. After years of forking out $$$$$ due to relying on someone else, I discovered that no one is your friend when it comes to the oil business. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:39 am

Ken Cook wrote:           Knocking on the tank always works for me as my tank is under the stairs and hard to see. I personally service my heater because of the lack of ability the oil company provided with their service contracts. They could never fix any problems that occurred in a timely manner, they never fully did what was claimed on the service contracts, and it always ended up costing me money.  When the smoke pipe came apart one evening that was the final straw due to screws not being properly installed. They have a great habit of doing that. In addition, when I clean the furnace it generally takes me 6 hours from soup to nuts to do it properly. When the oil company would service the unit it was being done in less than 2 hours. The boiler pins take at least that long to properly clean. After using 5 different oil companies and all of them showing similar characteristics, I figured if I'm the one footing the bill here, I don't mind taking the risk to do it myself. I have a service tech adjust for CO and smoke when I'm through and he's told me he couldn't do any better himself. I'm running in the high 80% for efficiency opposed to mid to low 70's prior. Cleaning the boiler annually is not a chore which it once was and this is immediately recognizable in the smoke pipe.

Think of it as a giant engine, it's very similar as it shares the same characteristics. I never thought I would be servicing the unit and I always felt overwhelmed to do so. After years of forking out $$$$$ due to relying on someone else, I discovered that no one is your friend when it comes to the oil business. Ken

Hey Ken, My wife and I bought our home 3 years ago... The previous owner had done some very recent upgrades.. including a super efficient Buderus boiler. My Brother in-law is a Master plumber.. and works at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. He moonlights installing boilers constantly, and informed me that "our" boiler is among the best made. We have used the same Oil company since we moved in.. and the last service (tune-up) was in December.

Our home is quite small.. and there are 2 (forced hot water) heat zones. The upstairs bedroom and Bathroom baseboards never seem to get very hot. The upstairs T-stat is located in the Master-bedroom.. which I don't really understand. I'm wondering if one of the zone valves is malfunctioning? I don't really know much about these things.

Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down