Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

CEF speed contest Design Discussions (2014) - Page 15 Cox_ba12

CEF speed contest Design Discussions (2014) - Page 15 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by getback Today at 6:43 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Tired of it all…
by roddie Today at 5:38 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

CEF speed contest Design Discussions (2014) - Page 15 Empty
Live on Patrol

CEF speed contest Design Discussions (2014)

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

CEF speed contest Design Discussions (2014) - Page 15 Empty Re: CEF speed contest Design Discussions (2014)

Post  KariFS Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:54 pm

...or just make the cuts at the outsides of your markings, not in the middle of the line Wink
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

CEF speed contest Design Discussions (2014) - Page 15 Empty Re: CEF speed contest Design Discussions (2014)

Post  roddie Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:02 am

Thank You Ian, Jim and Kari... There's gusseting at the leading-edge's root on the full-size airplane, that will add the area I need. The wing-tip pods (which I plan to simulate) will add slightly to both; span and area too.

CEF speed contest Design Discussions (2014) - Page 15 Lockhe11

I'll use those tip-pods to help flight-trim this model. They will be a thin 2D profile shape. The inboard pod will allow ample positioning for a lead-out guide, and the outboard one will be of a heavier material to counter the extra weight on the inboard side. (controls/lines)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:40 am

Roddie, did Cox make a jet engine?
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Mulligan Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:48 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Roddie, did Cox make a jet engine?

In the last go-round, I did feel the need to point out that a DynaJet is, indeed, a reed valve engine!

Didn't get very far with that one...

tongue

Mike
Mike Mulligan
Mike Mulligan
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://Mulliganracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:14 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Roddie, did Cox make a jet engine?

No Rod.. but this wouldn't be the first jet model to be built for the speed contest.

Doug (GUS THE I.A.) built this cool A7 for the first contest.

CEF speed contest Design Discussions (2014) - Page 15 A71110

I had considered an F-20 Tigershark.. but decided on the T-33 instead. There was a fan unit designed for the Tee Dee. I don't think it would work well with control-line though. It also wouldn't qualify for this "profile" event.

CEF speed contest Design Discussions (2014) - Page 15 Axiflo10

I think "Kress" made one too. Here's a model with a Bee powered fan unit.

CEF speed contest Design Discussions (2014) - Page 15 Lav10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  modelbuilder49 Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:38 am

No Rod.. but this wouldn't be the first jet model to be built for the speed contest.
CEF speed contest Design Discussions (2014) - Page 15 Lav10[/quote]

Man!! Now that's jus' downright KOOL!!  Very Happy Ya' done good, real good!
modelbuilder49
modelbuilder49
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:42 pm

modelbuilder49 wrote:No Rod.. but this wouldn't be the first jet model to be built for the speed contest.
CEF speed contest Design Discussions (2014) - Page 15 Lav10

Man!! Now that's jus' downright KOOL!!  Very Happy Ya' done good, real good![/quote]

Not mine Jim! I don't know who's model that is with the fan. I save random images that interest me. I really like it though.. because it's Cox powered! Small Cox Logo

The more I look at it.. the more it looks like a free-flight model..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:47 pm

You know was doing a search yesterday and saw educated fan blades made for cox 049's
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:51 pm

rogermharris wrote:You know was doing a search yesterday and saw educated fan blades made for cox 049's

"Kress" made fan units for the Tee Dee years ago, having I believe an "RK" designation in the model#. I'll see if I can find a pic.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:34 pm

The "Axiflow" RK-049 was a Kress fan kit that I remember seeing in magazines years ago. I found these images. I don't think it was in production very long.

CEF speed contest Design Discussions (2014) - Page 15 Kress_10
CEF speed contest Design Discussions (2014) - Page 15 Kress_11
CEF speed contest Design Discussions (2014) - Page 15 Kress_12
CEF speed contest Design Discussions (2014) - Page 15 Kress_13

With all the high performance engine tuning that takes place on this forum.. along with some really skilled builders.. I'd love to see one of these kits utilized. Back when these kits were being made, radio gear was HEAVY.. compared to what it is now.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:38 pm

Now that is cool! I would like to see it on a set of control lines
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:48 pm

rogermharris wrote:Now that is cool!  I would like to see it on a set of control lines

I suppose it's possible Rog. It would have to be strictly a roundy-round model.. and have a smooth runway for take-off. There's not enough area for any kind of tight turns in a control line circle. I'd still like to see it though. The Dynajet wasn't a stunter either!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:42 pm

Was trying to find video of it flying
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Mulligan Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:22 pm

I had one of those RK-049 fans when I was a kid. If you want to try to fly one control line you's better have a smooth lot to fly from and expect a five-lap take off run! Definately 'top gear' only!

Roddie, I'm really looking forward to seeing your T-33 take shape. Your models are always interesting, well thought out and well built. Cool subject too! I had given some thought to an F-94C for a TeeDee, but I should probably just finish what I've already started...

Post lots of pics!

Mike
Mike Mulligan
Mike Mulligan
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://Mulliganracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:32 pm

Mike Mulligan wrote:I had one of those RK-049 fans when I was a kid. If you want to try to fly one control line you's better have a smooth lot to fly from and expect a five-lap take off run! Definately 'top gear' only!

Roddie, I'm really looking forward to seeing your T-33 take shape. Your models are always interesting, well thought out and well built. Cool subject too! I had given some thought to an F-94C for a TeeDee, but I should probably just finish what I've already started...

Post lots of pics!

Mike

Thanks Mike! I saved a 3-view of an F-94C when gathering images for the T-33.

CEF speed contest Design Discussions (2014) - Page 15 F94c_310

I know all about the finishing what I've already started thing.. It's never too late to get back to something that was put on the back-burner.. or should I say; "after-burner" Cool
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:36 pm

The Dynajet will stunt fine if the airframe and tank are correctly built. Unfortunately, while it is a reed engine and this is for Cox engines I just wanted to show that it will stunt. Here's my son https://www.facebook.com/PhillyFliersCL/videos/vb.513140418756097/858020277601441/?type=3&permPage=1 I'm on the spark box and launch. Pete one of our senior members shouldn't of been pumping. Hopefully by next season we have another built as were going to do this 2 up. Dan was quite excited as he was able to increase the run time a bit but still not enough for a pattern. That was 19 oz's of fuel for that flight.  Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:50 pm

Ken Cook wrote:The Dynajet will stunt fine if the airframe and tank are correctly built. Unfortunately, while it is a reed engine and this is for Cox engines I just wanted to show that it will stunt. Here's my son https://www.facebook.com/PhillyFliersCL/videos/vb.513140418756097/858020277601441/?type=3&permPage=1 I'm on the spark box and launch. Pete one of our senior members shouldn't of been pumping. Hopefully by next season we have another built as were going to do this 2 up. Dan was quite excited as he was able to increase the run time a bit but still not enough for a pattern. That was 19 oz's of fuel for that flight.  Ken

Nice flying! You guys sure know how to have fun!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:58 pm

Looks like a well behaved plane ken. Very cool. Thanks for sharing that. I remember drooling over one of those engines back in the 70's in a store somewhere.
Speed looked good for stunt. 19oz of fuel.. wow!
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:57 pm

The T-33 will be my first Tee Dee powered model. I just took some mount measurements. The case width; I get .650" with .930" O/C; beam to beam and .375" F/R. Back-plate to drive-plate face is 1.700".

My entire fuse is a lamination of ply/balsa/ply.. so there will be no beams. It's thickness is .250" nom. and should be beefy enough for the mount. I'm thinking tonight about bushing the mount holes. I really like those 4-40 threaded inserts that Jim found and used on one of his models. I don't think I'd trust them in my ply/balsa/ply lay-up though. I'll probably go with locknuts.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:07 pm

I would agree roddie. I would not trust threaded inserts into mostly balsa. I have been mounting most of my engines with 2-56 tee nuts and machine screws. Bushing and lock nuts would make a strong secure mount
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:40 pm

Save the headache and put some bearers in. I hear aluminum is crazy good for this job too. Hard maple is "best".

I did some poking around after bearer failure on a Flight Streak with a FP20 on it.
http://www.wood-database.com/
check
hard maple
osage orange
bamboo
locust
white oak

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:26 am

Here's a cross-section of my lay-up. 2.8mm luan sides with a 1.2mm balsa core.

CEF speed contest Design Discussions (2014) - Page 15 6-27-110

It's very rigid.. but actually not that heavy. The blank weighs 1.6 oz. but when the fuse is cut and shaped, I expect it to be down close to 1 oz. I designed the fuse this way because of the take-off dolly. The belly engages a cross-pin in the cradle via a vertical slot located close to the airplane's balance point. This area needs to be strong, and I wanted to avoid sheeting around the slot if possible. The nose-to-tail lamination is smooth-sided and doesn't require any doublers.

CEF speed contest Design Discussions (2014) - Page 15 6-27-111

I hope this take-off dolly works. I have concerns.. but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I've haven't seen any other designs that use an incline.. but I'm counting on that to provide lift and prevent the model from pitching down as it lifts off the pin. The cradle concept has it's limitations. The fuse needs to sit down between the rails deep enough so that the model doesn't "teeter" from side to side. This requires the model's wing to be mounted possibly higher than the scale location.. depending on the design. I'm also not sure if the dolly's main gear is spread wide enough.. and how the dolly will track. I had thought about building a caster-type tail-wheel.. but that could create it's own set of tracking issues. I always seem to over-complicate what should be simple.. but the dolly concept I think is key to getting a successful launch with these little Speed models.. as well as having provision for a pin-stooge in case there's no pit-man.

Ultimately.. I'd like to design a take-off dolly for general 1/2A use.. that supports the wing rather than the fuse.. but staying with the incline principle. A lightweight frame having a wide stance.. widely-spaced gear and large foam tires/wheels that roll easily over grass, like I mentioned a while back.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:53 am

How about a set of wheels made from a ply and or balsa skeleton skinned with monokote?
Would bee able to make nice wide light weight wheels for grass
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:46 pm

rogermharris wrote:How about a set of wheels made from a ply and or balsa skeleton skinned with monokote?
Would bee able to make nice wide light weight wheels for grass

That's the idea Rog.. I had thought about making them from 1" thick Styrofoam about 3" diameter.. with the hubs bushed with aluminum tubing epoxied-in for the axles to pass through. The gear is the trick... I think the legs/struts should be two separate vertical pieces having a wide-track for stability. What I have now is an inverted "V".. and I think it's going to be problematic. The dolly frame should have an open center-section to accommodate any width/depth fuse.. and have pads for the wing and tail-plane to rest on. Pegs with padding would hold the leading-edge from moving forward on the frame. It's a tricky thing to design without being to heavy and complex.. or else I'm sure we'd see more of them. I like a challenge.. and I will definitely keep going over design considerations in my head until I come up with something that's not too complicated.. and can be made using common goods.. like paint-stirrers and wooden dowels.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:10 pm

Gosh! Now I have this running through my head.
I hate to say it but this sort of thing is what I have done for a living for nearly thirty years. Take an idea and bring it to life.

Thinking about it more today I am wondering if a very narrow wheel would bee better?
Something that would cut through the grass rather than a wider tire that would tend to float on top and pushing the grass down. I'm thinking the thin wheel would ride more on the ground and bee a smoother ride.
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next