Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Poor fuel economy Cox_ba12

Poor fuel economy Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Today at 8:05 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by Admin Today at 7:54 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 2:48 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Admin Today at 10:31 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Poor fuel economy Empty
Live on Patrol

Poor fuel economy

Go down

Poor fuel economy Empty Poor fuel economy

Post  batjac Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:16 am

I have two Bees with 8cc stunt tanks on them. One has a TD piston/cylinder set, and one has the slit port SPI from Bernie. They’re both tach’ing around 20,500RPM. But the one with the TD is only getting a little over a minute of run time. The other is doing about two and half minutes. Any ideas why the one with the TD set is getting such poor fuel economy? I have another SPI P/C set I can use, but I want to figure out why I’m going through so much fuel on the one engine as it is.

The Poor Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Poor fuel economy Empty Re: Poor fuel economy

Post  RknRusty Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:38 am

If it's the original Tee Dee set, the #4 cylinder has larger bypass ports including 4 boost flutes that pump a lot of fuel into the combustion chamber. The other cylinder only gas 2 boost flutes and possibly shallower bypasses. Use a caliper to measure across the depths of the main bypasses and see if they're cut deeper. I know the Black Widow's #1 was cut deeper than other dual bypass cylinders. The short light piston on the new type SPI set may need less fuel to turn the same RPM as the Tee Dee with the heavier long skirted piston. I always wondered if the short skirts developed as much torque with less inertia of the lighter piston.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:35 am

Yes, the TD-s are very thursty and very powerful, all the same. I was alwas wondering why a TD051 slurps around 2 oz of fuel in a 10 minutes run, while a 049 reedy gulps only 8cc for a 2 minutes+ or so run, i.e . 7,5 times more fuel for a 4 times longer run, i.e. 1,88 times more consumption per minute for the TD.

But if you consider the power needed to turn the same prop is proportional with the prop speed on the 3rd power, the 1,88 times more fuel consumption means the TD should turn the same prop by 23% higher rpm than a reedy, (the cubic root of 1,88=1,23), and my TD 051 happily turns a 5x4 prop of Bernie at 22k, the same prop thus should be driven by a reedy at 22/1,23 = 17,9k or so.

In fact I measured exactly this speed ratio over last weekend when I started up a 40+ years old 049 postage stamp product engine from an old Stuka (details in the next issue of Bernie's COX Engines Quarterly) and measured 18k on it with the same prop that my TD051 runs at 22k.

Please check now if the 2 props on your 2 Bees with the stunt tanks have the same dia and pitch. With the same tach the TD cylinder engine should have a larger dia and/or pitch prop than the other.

But you never know...I built a reedy with a new set of TD051 stock cylinder and piston, and it was never able to reach the same speed as a stock TD, possibly because the constraints imposed by the reed valve, limiting the top speed of a reedy.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:52 am

RknRusty wrote: I always wondered if the short skirts developed as much torque with less inertia of the lighter piston.
Rusty

The thing I was wondering about is, how does the lighter piston affect the balance of the crankshaft. Is it more than the effect of a slightly unbalanced prop?

The Unbalanced Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:11 am

Because the piston does not have rotational speed I guess this lighter piston will not affect the shaft balance.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:48 am

How big is the venturi hole in the rear of the tank back? There was many differences in production which could also explain to a certain level as to why one engine is using more fuel. The other option is that it may also be quite possible that fuel is possibly seeping out of the screws of the tank back itself. I've seen this many of times. Generally, I use Bernie's stainless screws new out of the package to try and remedy a screw leak. Pressurize the tank and place a few drops of oil on the screw heads and this will quickly reveal if the screws are even seeping. If new screws don't stop the leaks, I've wrapped cotton from a Q-tip around the screws and this has not only sealed the leak but also allowed for a service removeable joint. In addition to leaks, check the tank itself during pressurization. Even minor leaks as I've suggested can contribute to poor economy not to mention they're almost undetectable initially. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:51 pm

Ken Cook wrote:             How big is the venturi  hole in the rear of the tank back? There was many differences in production which could also explain to a certain level as to why one engine is using more fuel. The other option is that it may also be quite possible that fuel is possibly seeping out of the screws of the tank back itself. I've seen this many of times. Generally, I use Bernie's stainless screws new out of the package to try and remedy a screw  leak. Pressurize the tank and place a few drops of oil on the screw heads and this will quickly reveal if the screws are even seeping. If new screws don't stop the leaks, I've wrapped cotton from a Q-tip around the screws and this has not only sealed the leak but also allowed for a service removeable joint. In addition to leaks, check the tank itself during pressurization. Even minor leaks as I've suggested can contribute to poor economy not to mention they're almost undetectable initially. Ken

I'm not sure about the hole size in the tank backs. When I pull the engine apart to swap out the piston/cylinder set I'll re-check the gaskets and check for tank back leaks. I've never hear of the cotton thread sealing trick, but I'll try it on re-assembly.

Someone here mentioned anaerobic sealant. If whoever posted that could give me a name brand or a picture of the tube, I'd appreciate it. Just going to the auto parts store looking for anaerobic sealant want's very satisfying.

The Unsatisfied Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:22 pm

Mark, I was the one who mentioned the use of the anaerobic gasket maker. http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/gasketing/anaerobic-gasket-makers-flange-sealants/permatex-anaerobic-gasket-maker-detail

I use this product exclusively for backplates. The way this product cures is through the absence of air. While it would probably work as a tank to tank back sealant, I haven't had to good of luck on the screws with this product. My initial experiment did work for a short period of time. Many I know have used the RTV gasket maker on the screws. This essentially makes the part a non serviceable item. I don't care for that so I've tried everything from the above to small o-rings. What I found to be the most effective is tearing off a bit of cotton and rolling it up and wrapping the thread and screwing it in. It doesn't impede the slot of the screw like RTV does and it works great.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down