Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Northern Flicker - a 2 chan low wing for Baby Bee Cox_ba12

Northern Flicker - a 2 chan low wing for Baby Bee Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 1:04 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:44 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Northern Flicker - a 2 chan low wing for Baby Bee Empty
Live on Patrol

Northern Flicker - a 2 chan low wing for Baby Bee

Go down

Northern Flicker - a 2 chan low wing for Baby Bee Empty Northern Flicker - a 2 chan low wing for Baby Bee

Post  JasonB Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:44 am

Hey folks!  I drew up the plans for the Northern Flicker last night.  I think they turned out OK.  I've attached a .jpg version of it here, but if anyone wants, I have a .pdf available - just PM me.

The plan is intended to be printed on 36"X24" (Arch D) size sheet.  It's full scale.

Northern Flicker - a 2 chan low wing for Baby Bee DSC_0133Large_zps3f0ae222

I'll try 2 versions.  This is the full rez version:

Northern Flicker - a 2 chan low wing for Baby Bee Northern%20flicker_zpsopfaprby

This one's more modest, but still easily readable, I think...

Northern Flicker - a 2 chan low wing for Baby Bee Northern%20flicker%20Large_zps99jxp0a3

Direct link to my photobucket so you can download the full rez:

https://2img.net/h/i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/JasonB1976/northern%20flicker_zpsopfaprby.jpg

Good luck, Folks!

J

Last edited by JasonB on Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : revised drawing)
JasonB
JasonB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Northern Flicker - a 2 chan low wing for Baby Bee Empty Re: Northern Flicker - a 2 chan low wing for Baby Bee

Post  roddie Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:55 pm

Thanks Jason. I really like the model. It's a good candidate for RCM fuse-jigs that I built in two sizes. The small one at 24" x 6" probably isn't big enough.. but the 48" x 12" would be. I actually haven't used either one yet.

Northern Flicker - a 2 chan low wing for Baby Bee Rcm_fu12

You commented on my snow-ski gear. You're right.. I need to make some sort of spring-leveler that only permits a few degrees of toe-down. My region got a lot of snow from the end of Jan. thru most of Feb.. with consistently below-freezing temps throughout.. which accounted for total accumulations in the "footage" range. I usually do some "sledding".. but haven't been once this season.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Northern Flicker - a 2 chan low wing for Baby Bee Empty Re: Northern Flicker - a 2 chan low wing for Baby Bee

Post  JasonB Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:59 pm

Yeah, we got buried too...  Somewhere near 12', with another foot coming this weekend, they say!

To be honest, when I built the Flicker, I just glued the fuse sides to the firewall, then glued the aft ends together.  Then I inserted the 1/4" struts starting near the middle and working towards the ends.  Straight build is guaranteed if you cut and glue those pieces accurately.  Then again, I've never used a jig for any building!

It seems so clear now why all my builds have had near flat-bottomed wings LOL.

I'd love to see some folk try this build and see their results!

J
JasonB
JasonB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:10 pm

I think I'm gonna have to build this Very Happy maybe machine a crank and crankcase to make a flat twin engine utilizing two .049 engines Airplane
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:17 am

mitchg95 wrote:I think I'm gonna have to build this Very Happy maybe machine a crank and crankcase to make a flat twin engine utilizing two .049 engines Airplane
dude thats goning to be a monster i would do it with two 020's =040 so close enough
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JasonB Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:29 am

Oh, WOW! That'd cook right along... Might wanna shorten the nose a touch for balance if you do, as it does balance quite well with a single cyl. on there....

It'd look the part, though, with a cylinder on each side like so many early home-builts.

J
JasonB
JasonB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:32 am

Nice Looking airplane for a BB 2 Channels are a lot of fun to set back and relax with floating like an eagle searching for food Smile , I got the file from your bucket , thanks Are you using mini servos ? Lipo batt. or standard equipment ? Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JasonB Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:25 pm

Thanks!

I powered mine with HS55's (had'em on the shelf, something more durable in a similar size would be better).

The battery I used was a 1/3AAA NiMH pack from a Losi Micro-T. An AAA pack or small Lipo would do as well. For balance, my pack is velcro'd to the back of the firewall. A larger pack would end up a touch further back, all else being equal.

The wing is also easily converted to ailerons with a little imagination, I did that for the wing in my Aquastar, which is basically the same structurally.

There's a half-arsed build thread here that details some equip choices:

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t7959-scratch-built-2-chan-babe-bee-powered-plane-the-northern-flicker

J
JasonB
JasonB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:56 pm

I'm considering the .049 cylinders because parts are way more readily available and cheaper than the .020 option, if I were to design and build this engine I would, opt for rotary induction through the crankshaft and have a throttle on the carb so I would be able to control the speed a lot better
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterJGregory Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:18 pm

Such a great looking design, one for a future build for me. We haven't had enough snow here in NY State this year to oblige flying one of these on skis. Skis are a great way (normally) to extend the season. We have had only a couple frigid 0 degree F days here, was 62F here yesterday.
PeterJGregory
PeterJGregory
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:50 pm

I like this plane too.  I'm thinking it needs a tee dee to give more power and then I can put a set of floats on it.  I have plans for a ROW free flight model with a really light set of floats, should work well.  I don't get a lot of snow here.

Whats the wing span?
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:37 am

Duke it says 40" at 13oz. at the bottom of the plans first page . Eric Babe Bee .049
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 am

getback wrote:Duke it says 40" at 13oz. at the bottom of the plans first page . Eric Babe Bee .049
Oh GEEZ! You mean the big bold letters. Sorry
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down