Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

F2G for .15 carrier - Page 2 Cox_ba12

F2G for .15 carrier - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

F2G for .15 carrier - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

F2G for .15 carrier

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

F2G for .15 carrier - Page 2 Empty Re: F2G for .15 carrier

Post  JPvelo Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:39 am

Here's what I ended up doing with the wing tips.  1/4" soft balsa top and bottom with the grain running opposing directions.             F2G for .15 carrier - Page 2 SJ8V5Lh
F2G for .15 carrier - Page 2 XFk3viC
F2G for .15 carrier - Page 2 Y0Yampu
F2G for .15 carrier - Page 2 G2K38cu
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:44 am

that should make for good strong wing tips!
really good looking plane!
mabee next year i will look at larger models.. for now i have so much i want to build in 1/2A
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Mulligan Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:43 pm

A man after my own heart... That is one of my favorite brands of model stand.

Oh, beautiful model too, as usual! Cool

Mike
Mike Mulligan
Mike Mulligan
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://Mulliganracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:18 pm

Shot paint today, going to let it cure while I'm on vacation. Hope to be flying in 2 weeks.
F2G for .15 carrier - Page 2 WnNHAR0
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:46 pm

wow! that's a really nice looking plane. can't wait to see some final pics once it's complete!
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:21 pm

That thing is SEXY Jim! Post some pics!

Greg
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:58 pm

Here you are Greg. I hope to fly Friday if I can find a launch. I could wait until Saturday and fly with the club but I don't want to maiden over pavement! I also don't want to use my stooge until I know how it behaves on takeoff.

I'm not thrilled with the finish on the polyspan but I'm sure there's a learning curve so I plan yo keep using it.

It has some "hanger rash" on the inboard wing but I'm not fixing until I know it flys. This took much longer and was a great deal more work than I anticipated.

F2G for .15 carrier - Page 2 A62yjkx
F2G for .15 carrier - Page 2 UijRlXn
F2G for .15 carrier - Page 2 GDgupeR
F2G for .15 carrier - Page 2 Mw4q9u7
F2G for .15 carrier - Page 2 MYqFylM
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:04 am

A masterpiece and a real work of beauty. Good luck on the maiden! Thanks for the post. One day I'll figure out how that complex bellcrank works with the throttle.

Greg

Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:59 am

SWEET !!! I hope its all you expect it to bee / and yes good fun with the maiden .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:11 am

Like that ram-air setup for pressurizing the tank. Looks like a TD .049 intake. Smile

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:25 pm

I got my first flight in today. It needs a few tweaks but I'm very happy with it. I even took to the hobby shop afterward and blew a couple guys away with the three line bellcrank. I think they were plug and play foamie flyers .

https://youtu.be/RJCNWcf8aCg
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:59 pm

Cool Jim, how bought one where you work the throttle!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:52 pm

Thanks Ron ,

I need to adjust the throttle linkage. Right now it kills the engine when I throttle down, that's what happened in the video. I am going to tweak it and take it back out Thursday, I'll get some more video then.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:46 pm

I have been messing with an RC Tigre G-51 that won't run worth a crap at WOT. Not a big deal as I am swapping the carb for a venturi.

In short I feel your pain.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:13 pm

JPvelo wrote:Thanks Ron ,

I need to adjust the throttle linkage. Right now it kills the engine when I throttle down, that's what happened in the video. I am going to tweak it and take it back out Thursday, I'll get some more video then.

Jim
Good luck, Jim. Tweaking is part of the game. Wait 'till you get to those slow laps - without exceeding the maximum inclination or it falling to the ground.

There are so many facets of our hobby.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:48 pm

Good to see a carrier post ...

I've been messing with an old Flight Streak with a 2.4Ghz throttle.  Having a blast with it.  I've been practicing my slow speed .... and it will hover too.  I've busted it up a number of times and the pic below actually looks good .... BUT its got alot of tape and patches all over it now.

I plan on taking it out again tomorrow ... someday I'll get a video of it .... TONS of fun just to be able to control the throttle.

F2G for .15 carrier - Page 2 Large
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:28 pm

Larry, that's a great color scheme. I love Flite Streaks. Unfortunately I've only ever flown a Baby FS, of which I have two. One with an .051 and the other with Big Mig .061. CL planes all look better with battle scars, gives them Character.

Do you just hold the transmitter in your non-flying hand? It doesn't look like the lines are connected to it.
Is that the same plane I commented on recently with the power plant on the inboard side, or is that your usual way of setting them up?
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:02 pm

JPvelo wrote:I got my first flight in today. It needs a few tweaks but I'm very happy with it. I even took to the hobby shop afterward and blew a couple guys away with the three line bellcrank. I think they were plug and play foamie flyers .

https://youtu.be/RJCNWcf8aCg

That's funny and sad how little work the new age flyers put into their planes, just buy and fly. Those carrier planes are complex. It looks tedious getting all of the critical components working together. I'm glad you showed them what a real modeler does.

I was about to compliment you on that clean cutoff until I read on about the throttle problem. Could you possibly be getting too much ram air through that scoop? Is the tank plumbed for uniflow? I never had any luck rigging the clunk tanks for uniflow, the internal tandem lines were always clumsy. But I didn't try hard enough, and just soldered the two vents together opening at the highest point in the tank. I use one for pressure and the other for overflow.

It was hard to tell in the video, but from what I saw, it really dived when the power cut. Usually meaning nose heavy. I know it's common to play it safe that way for a maiden though. Do Carrier planes generally fly more tail heavy than stunters and other sport ships? To help the hanging and arresting?

I admire how you've tried several Control Line disciplines since I've known you. Did you do any CL before joining us here at CEF? I remember you learning inverted flight and loops, etc with your Li'l Satan, not all that long ago. You've come a long way since then.

Keep up the good work and top notch building.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:35 am

RknRusty wrote:Larry, that's a great color scheme. I love Flite Streaks. Unfortunately I've only ever flown a Baby FS, of which I have two. One with an .051 and the other with  Big Mig .061. CL planes all look better with battle scars, gives them Character.

Do you just hold the transmitter in your non-flying hand? It doesn't look like the lines are connected to it.
Is that the same plane I commented on recently with the power plant on the inboard side, or is that your usual way of setting them up?
Rusty

I also liked that scheme, but unfortunately my learning curve has changed it. I ran out of yellow .... so one wing is now blue like the fuse.  The elevator is now blue as well and the length has been doubled.  This actually helped with hovering .... took some clues from those high aerobatic planes with large control surfaces.

Yes, I hold the 2.4G car transmitter in my non-flying hand. Its actually very comfortable.

Yes, that is the same plane you previously commented. I only mounted the Greenhead Torpedo 35 on the inboard side to place the exhaust pointing down, and the needle valve pointing up.  If I had mounted it traditionally, I would have long ago wiped out the NV, and constantly getting a face full castored exhaust.

As  you may or may not know .... I fly by myself. I've always been interested in carrier/throttled C/L planes, but never had anyone to help me understand 3-line bellcranks.  Recently, I found HobbyKing.  2.4Ghz transmitter, transmitter battery and reciever for $24.00 ...... and I had a junk flight streak hanging on the wall ....and my first throttled plane was born.  It has been soooo much fun to fly this plane.

I already have 2 planes in  the middle of building .... once some room is made, I'll be ready to build something nice and move the 2.4G to it.  I like the large wing area of the FS .... it helps it to just float around the circle.  I've had my eye on a Shark402 .... Its the same length and just alittle more wing area. And with all the experimenting I've done with the FS .... I can get the battery/recv'r/servo and servo lines all tucked away nice and neat.

Throttle controlled is fun fun fun ... and is cheap to get into.  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

F2G for .15 carrier - Page 2 Large
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:55 am

Rusty,

Thank you for your compliments. I had it at the field yesterday. I'm not flying it until I get the landing gear swept forward so it doesn't flip on landing. It's a uniflow tank, someone with more experience than me said the low speed needle was to lean. We richened  it up about 1/4 turn and it seems better on the ground. The high speed/ low speed twin needles is a whole new thing for me. I'm also going to make a new troth le linkage that doesn't  close the throttle as much.

It balances about 25% back from the leading edge at the fuselage but it's just heavy overall. 28.5oz with 180 square inches. I was actually worried about taking off in the required 22' but it jumped off the ground pretty quick. I think it was starting to stall when the engine quit so it dove in. On the second flight the power cut at a better flight attitude and to say it landed hot is an understatement. It probably landed at 20-25mph, the rollout was impressive until lit flipped in the grass! I think carrier ships need to be slightly tail heavy to hang.

I've been told not to worry to much about hanging yet, just get it on the deck in the right spot to score flight spots. I want to get the bugs worked out between now and the Tucson contest using  10% nitro. Once that contest is done I plan on jumping up to 35-40% and hopefully picking up a few mph.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:04 am

Rusty,

To answer your other question I had played around with control line a little bit in the early 90's. It was alway tough without a willing partner but things really took off when I saw your stooge setup. Between CEF and Stunthangar I've gone from newbie to Secretary and executive committee member of Central  Arizona Control Line Club. I still feel like a newbie because there's always so much to learn but I'm having fun! My wife is a little perplexed at the sudden influx of model airplanes in the last four years but overall she's supportive . In fact she's working on a revamp of the club website. I'll post a link here when it's done.  

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:30 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Cool Jim, how bought one where you work the throttle!

Here you go Ron, five months later. I was practicing today for the S.W. Regionals in Tucson next weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6MKTQ0-WpU&sns=em
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:33 am

COOL Jim ! Looks like your getting it down pretty good there , have you been in competition with it yet? Thanks for the video and best of skill to you , Eric Airplane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:41 pm

getback wrote:COOL Jim ! Looks like your getting it down pretty good there , have you been in competition with it yet? Thanks for the video and best of skill to you , Eric Airplane  

Thanks Eric,

I competed in October and scored 160.2, good enough for #19 in the Navy Carrier Society top 20. To be fair navy carrier is a very small community and I'm not sure much more than 20 people compete in .15 class. My model is to slow to be competitive but I do hope to beat my previous score next weekend.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  stuntflyr Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:22 pm

Nice model. Looks great. By the construction pics it looks like you put all of the lumber, and weight, in the right places.
Chris...
stuntflyr
stuntflyr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next