Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

starting a sure start Cox_ba12

starting a sure start Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Today at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Today at 9:02 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Today at 8:26 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Today at 7:42 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 7:09 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 6:07 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 5:13 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by gkamysz Today at 4:41 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Today at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Today at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

starting a sure start Empty
Live on Patrol

starting a sure start

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

starting a sure start Empty starting a sure start

Post  G-Money Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:12 pm

I picked up a Cox Sure Start .049 at a garage sale for $3 and every time I go to start it, it backfires turns the other way (the spring catches it and stops it. It slaps my fingers every time I try to start it. Heres what I'm doing to get it started. 1) fill the fuel bottle (was a small 2.5oz 2 stroke oil bottle) I filled it with some "R-T Toys Special 11.4% R/C Fuel" 2) I remove the glow plug and place a drip of fuel on the piston and then replace the glowplug. 3) I clip my alligator clips onto the glow plug using a d cell battery. 4) i flip the propeller over and then it pops. I have the needle set to 4 turns. What am I doing wrong??? Could someone spell the procedure out for me? Thank you, G-Money
Anonymous
G-Money

Back to top Go down

starting a sure start Empty Re: starting a sure start

Post  Mr.Leffe Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:48 am

If the 14% means 14% nitro, its needs more nitro content. The timing on these engines necessitates at least 20% or more to be user friendly and run consistently smooth. Also they need at least 20% oil or will fry before you get to fly.
Is there a copper shim between the cylinder and the head?
A splash of fuel on the port with the piston covering the opening and a quick flip should get it to go. Should not be a pre-req for ignition to take the head off.
Mr.Leffe
Mr.Leffe

Back to top Go down

Post  GermanBeez Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:00 am

no, the nitro content is fine.what you should do is get a spring starter, so it doesn't turn the other way.
the best way to start it is screwing the prop on at 12 o'clock position at the bginning of its compression.
thentry to flip the prop very close to themiddle of the prop, so you can spin it as fast as you can.
it sounds like your engine is running way too rich. some engines (like my black widow) run with the carb open
2 turns. try playing around with the mixture, you'll eventually find it.
and: don't squirt too much fuel in there, if you hear a sizzling sound from the engine, then fuel
has sprayed onto the glow plug, and its cold. leave the glow plug on and close the carb, until the sizzling stops,
then flip it a few times (carb still closed) until it pops and sprays a bit of fuel out the exhaust. then it should be fine to start again.
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:24 am

the nitro is fine and cox engines will fire with none but this make needle valve settings fidly yes just prime the exhaust ports and maybe take off the spring starter and have a go at flick staring it i find that easier with suestarts.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:25 am

Another way:

Close the needle valve and learn to burn off primes first. I am guessing you have the engine mounted on some kind of test stand (board?).

Use your self-engaging spring starter by turning the prop one turn clockwise. Connect the glow plug power (alligator clips) and prime the cylinder with one drop of fuel in the exhaust port. Now release the prop by removing your hand quickly. The starter spring should cause the engine to start and burn off the fuel in the cylinder.

When you can do that successfully, move on to running from a tank.

Making sure the top of the tank is below the needle valve so it won't gravity feed into the crankcase, open the needle three turns. Start as before.

As far as nitro, I have used as low as 5% and as high as 35%. Standard Cox fuel was 15% and their racing was 25%. Oil should be in the 20% range with at least half of it castor. Be careful of car fuel because some of it does not have enough lube for airplane use. You should be able to find lube contents online.

Good luck with it.
George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GermanBeez Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:09 pm

thats right. try to find the right starting mixture first.
if it sort of bubbles and doesn't get to any rpms, it was too much fuel.
you know its the correct amount when the engine (without the tank) turns up almost to its max rpm, and then stops.
usually, its enough to drip some in there so it forms a bulge on top of the piston. that should be perfect. otherwise,
get the fuel out of the engine first, like gcb just said.
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:31 pm

Hello, G-Money. The above posts cover just about everything that is needed but if you want, I have a Sure Start manual that you can download.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:04 pm

Check to make sure fuel is flowing from the tank to the engine, and tank is set high enough behind the engine. On a sure start you can put your finger over the air intake vent and with the needle valve open give it a few flips before you connect the battery and that will pull the fuel through the line. Or if you have a long run. you may have to block a tank bent and force it to flow to the engine with the filler. Don't do it if you know the cylinder is already wet. Then do what everyone else said and it should start if. If not, check that the glowplug works, and there are no leaks between the crankcase and the backplate. If you have to take it apart, do a suck/blow test to make sure the reed is opening and closing. And then wipe your mouth off. tongue

No need for removing the glow plug during routine starting. The perfect mixture for the Coxes is about 25% nitro, 20% castor oil, not synthetic(though some people mix in some synth), and the balance is methanol. Lack of castor will ruin the piston rod at the ball socket. Glowplugboy is a popular brand that my engines love. I'm too new to post a link, but look up Glowplugboy 1/2A fuel on eBay. He has his own site too.
It has 17% castor and 24% nitromethane.
And please try to avoid using the word "carburetor" on a reed valve engine. No offense to those that do. The Cox Tee Dee and Medallion are two that actually do have a carb.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:12 pm

The cox tee dee doesn't Evan have a carb it uses a venture unless someone adds a carb.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  G Money Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:17 pm

Thank you all, I'm going to go try some of these things and then get back to tell if it worked or not. Thanks, Phil (the kids call me G-Money)
Anonymous
G Money

Back to top Go down

Post  GermanBeez Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:36 pm

RknRusty wrote:Check to make sure fuel is flowing from the tank to the engine, and tank is set high enough behind the engine. On a sure start you can put your finger over the air intake vent and with the needle valve open give it a few flips before you connect the battery and that will pull the fuel through the line. Or if you have a long run. you may have to block a tank bent and force it to flow to the engine with the filler. Don't do it if you know the cylinder is already wet. Then do what everyone else said and it should start if. If not, check that the glowplug works, and there are no leaks between the crankcase and the backplate. If you have to take it apart, do a suck/blow test to make sure the reed is opening and closing. And then wipe your mouth off. tongue

No need for removing the glow plug during routine starting. The perfect mixture for the Coxes is about 25% nitro, 20% castor oil, not synthetic(though some people mix in some synth), and the balance is methanol. Lack of castor will ruin the piston rod at the ball socket. Glowplugboy is a popular brand that my engines love. I'm too new to post a link, but look up Glowplugboy 1/2A fuel on eBay. He has his own site too.
And please try to avoid using the word "carburetor" on a reed valve engine. No offense to those that do. The Cox Tee Dee and Medallion are two that actually do have a carb.
hm, i'd be a little careful with 25%. the more nitro the more heat, and that might make your glow plug brake faster.
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:39 pm

I run all my cox engines on 25% now and I have never burned out a glow plug prematurely.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:45 pm

GermanBeez wrote:
RknRusty wrote:Check to make sure fuel is flowing from the tank to the engine, and tank is set high enough behind the engine. On a sure start you can put your finger over the air intake vent and with the needle valve open give it a few flips before you connect the battery and that will pull the fuel through the line. Or if you have a long run. you may have to block a tank bent and force it to flow to the engine with the filler. Don't do it if you know the cylinder is already wet. Then do what everyone else said and it should start if. If not, check that the glowplug works, and there are no leaks between the crankcase and the backplate. If you have to take it apart, do a suck/blow test to make sure the reed is opening and closing. And then wipe your mouth off. tongue

hm, i'd be a little careful with 25%. the more nitro the more heat, and that might make your glow plug brake faster.

I know that the original cox super power fuel was 25% or very close to 25%. I don't recall any of my heads burning out quicker.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:06 pm

Were there not 3 cox fuel: glow power,flying power and racing power which was 35% nitro or am I wrong some one was selling cox fuel formulations and original documents and the were 3 formulations.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:19 pm

nitroairplane wrote:Were there not 3 cox fuel: glow power,flying power and racing power which was 35% nitro or am I wrong some one was selling cox fuel formulations and original documents and the were 3 formulations.

There was different cox fuels. I don't remember the exact names for them right now. I know the cox racing fuel was 35% nitro I remember that.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:32 pm

I knew that was it ibwas goin to buy the formulae and documents but I was a US auction and I was asleep when the ewing soon notice came theough.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:34 pm

there was several different cox fuels. i have the cans around here somewhere. i have my super power fuel, flight power fuel, glow power fuel, special blend fuel, racing fuel and a old thimble drome glow fuel can. Thats what I have. I couldnt tell you all of what the %s were but that is what I have
Carl
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

starting a sure start Empty Sure-start starting

Post  SuperDave Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:11 pm

Back to the original question.

How sure are you that the copper gasket is in place between the cylinder and the head? If it is missing the problem described will occur as the compression ratio will be increased considerably.

My Sure-Start starts surely. lol!
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:03 pm

As a kid I used the blue can of Cox fuel and the red can called racing fuel. On RCG most members agree the blue can is 20 something and the red can is 30 something percent. I've never used less than the 20 something blue can. The 30-35% will give it more RPM but it likely wears out the soft cylinder wall and the con rod ball socket faster. Not worth it unless you race. I really like the 24% Glowplugboy fuel.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:07 pm

nitroairplane wrote:The cox tee dee doesn't Even have a carb it uses a venturi unless someone adds a carb.
Oh, I guess I'm mistaken. Lots of people refer to it as a carb, so I've been influenced badly after all.Sad

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:56 pm

RknRusty wrote:
nitroairplane wrote:The cox tee dee doesn't Even have a carb it uses a venturi unless someone adds a carb.
Oh, I guess I'm mistaken. Lots of people refer to it as a carb, so I've been influenced badly after all.Sad

I always refer to it as a carb, so does cox. All their manuals and parts lists describe it as one. "Carburetor Body", "Carburetor Assembly" Many people call it an intake as well.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  GermanBeez Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:04 am

it is the part of a 2 stroke engine that mixes fuel and air, and is connected to the crank case. its a carburator. its shaped like one, it works like one. period. and so does the reed valve carb. it has injector nozzles, it mixes fuel and air through the venturi effect. it' just more compact
so it doesn't take that much room in the tank. THEY ARE ALL CARBS.
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:19 am

I mostly rub 010 and 020 engines and I dont ever mess with anything lower than 20%
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

starting a sure start Empty Throttled Coxes

Post  SuperDave Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:58 am

Often what passes for a "carburetor" is actually and air intake restrictor. A true carburetor would meter fuel as well as air.

Initially early Cox "throttles" were exhaust restrictors fixed to the cylinder exhaust ports. Over time Coxes where more effectively throttled by air intake restrictors which are currently available from vendors such as www.coxinternational.com (Bernie and Nicole are GREAT!)

I'm running a Dumas "Lil' Swamp Buggy" with a Sure-Start .049 and equipped with an air restrictor throttle and "Type B" head coversion for lower RPM. With that arrangement I have a good range of operational RPM (6K-16K). It's great for repectfully"patrolling" the Canada geese at my son's lake place. :lol!

SuperDave
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:46 am

A carburetor is a device that delivers a fuel and air mixture to an internal combustion engine. It does not need to be variable. Don't confuse that with throttle.

We sometimes create our own definitions and for CL, the generally accepted treminology is venturi, and for RC, the generally accepted term is carburetor. I'll bet when someone uses the wrong term you still form the correct image in your mind. Potayto, potahto.

Remember also that the Medallion uses a spraybar in the venturi, and the TD uses a three hole sprinkler system. Both are still considered venturies.

At least that's the way I understand it. Cool

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next