Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

How's that engine test stand thing going?   Cox_ba12

How's that engine test stand thing going?   Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 9:18 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

How's that engine test stand thing going?   Empty
Live on Patrol

How's that engine test stand thing going?

Go down

How's that engine test stand thing going?   Empty How's that engine test stand thing going?

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:16 pm

I'm tired of cobbling together individual test stands for individual models. I need one size fits all.

This looks like a great test stand and I have seen it pictured here before.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-RC-Aircraft-engine-test-stand-for-Saito-OS-Enya-Irvine-MDS-PAW-SC/131543486220?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D777000%26algo%3DABA.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29981%26meid%3D816032f75d1e41acac64d5fc3dfee910%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D131555549926

The price even with shipping from the UK is reasonable for the quality.

Your test stand and your thoughts on this one?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

How's that engine test stand thing going?   Empty Re: How's that engine test stand thing going?

Post  Marleysky Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:54 pm

That is a awesome looking stand. I still use an old wooden style one, with the wing nuts on both sides, but it is useless for baby bees or TD's. I'm leaning toward the blue anodized one at Cox international. I do have a few redheads and a recently acquired
Enya 4 stroke, that I haven't run just cause I don't have a safe secure mount for them. That Britishers stand looks like it'd be the cats whiskers, Uncle Bob!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

How's that engine test stand thing going?   Empty Cox International stand

Post  VUgearhead Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:59 pm

I purchased the Cox Int stand, but it wasn't ready out of the box. The holes that were drilled in the stand weren't cleaned up prior to anodizing, there was frass and a lip on the back side that prevented the nuts/bolts I bought at the same time from staying tight. I almost ruined a Medallion from it rattling loose during an initial run.

I ended up having to grind the backside to smooth out the holes. So much for all that pretty anodizing!

Don't get me wrong, Cox's stand is very nice and can handle many different Cox engines. Just check it and prep it before you use it!
VUgearhead
VUgearhead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

How's that engine test stand thing going?   Empty Re: How's that engine test stand thing going?

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:15 pm

I built myself a wooden one like Marleysky described. It seems to work ok for all but radial mount engines. Because it has one sliding beam it tends to be a little wonky with larger engines, but I installed two small pins, one in the front of each beam, that engage in the front mount hole of the engine. Saves them slipping out. Having said that, I did lose a McCoy .29 that managed to vibrate the wing nuts loose. Slammed the wall pretty hard. Embarassed The only real problem with my design is that you can't install smaller engines with a muffler as it fouls the wing nut. Other than that, I was really happy how it turned out. Didn't have any plans, just started building. I'll try & get a picture.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:23 pm

I've got one like that. I bought the version with the tank and throttle cable. The height of the tank can be adjusted depending on the engine's carb height.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t8445-test-run-of-my-enya-19-vi-bb

I don't know if a 049 TD would still fit though. At least, I haven't tried it. I'll fix one tomorrow and post a picture.

Lieven

Last edited by OVERLORD on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:50 pm

Thanks Lieven, that where I saw it. Nice tank set-up too.

I may buy one, or maybe make one of my own. Thinking.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:26 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Thanks Lieven, that where I saw it.  Nice tank set-up too.

I may buy one, or maybe make one of my own.  Thinking.

Bob

Uncle Bob,  Do you have a band saw, drill press,  a set of tap and dies, a medium sized hand brake?  
Can you make one (or two) of these??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Model-Aircraft-engine-test-stand-Rig-Saito-OS-Enya-Irvine-Laser-Webra-/131543486686?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1ea09a50de

$62 bucks delivered from the UK.....just to keep you from having to chase  engines across the workshop!!  It is now on my "wish list" sunny
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm

PSP Mfg. engine test stand is the best. I have made wood ones and bought cheap resonating aluminum ones. None have beaten this one.

http://www.pspmfg.com/RCEngineTestStand.html
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:15 am

Marleysky wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:Thanks Lieven, that where I saw it.  Nice tank set-up too.

I may buy one, or maybe make one of my own.  Thinking.

Bob

Uncle Bob,  Do you have a band saw, drill press,  a set of tap and dies, a medium sized hand brake?  
Can you make one (or two) of these??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Model-Aircraft-engine-test-stand-Rig-Saito-OS-Enya-Irvine-Laser-Webra-/131543486686?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1ea09a50de

$62 bucks delivered from the UK.....just to keep you from having to chase  engines across the workshop!!  It is now on my "wish list" sunny

Yes, I have that one book marked.  But I'm not sure it's worth adding the fuel tank holder as it doubles the price and I can build one.  Also I don't really need the throttle feature.  

I looked at the PSP stand Jason.  Expensive, but with nice features and additions.  I'm heading to Lowes/Home Depot to check out some oak,  I may build one with a little more beef than the old but popular wing-nut wooden model.

roddie must be asleep, he is always coming up with something innovative along these lines.  Smile

BTW...Enjoy your "Status" - Yard work, cutting down trees, etc. describes my life. I have 6 acres, if I could just cut down four interferring trees I would have a heck of a flying field.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:41 am

Pictures:

TD051

How's that engine test stand thing going?   Imgp5410

Enya 09

How's that engine test stand thing going?   Imgp5412

How's that engine test stand thing going?   Imgp5413

OS Max 15

How's that engine test stand thing going?   Imgp5414

The TD is too small to fit in the engine stand. It's better to fix it onto the blue Cox Int stand and fix that one on the engine stand. The Enya 09 is on the limit. Engines with a RC carb will fit better because the fuel nipple and needle are higher up.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:08 am

OVERLORD wrote:Pictures:

The TD is too small to fit in the engine stand. It's better to fix it onto the blue Cox Int stand and fix that one on the engine stand. The Enya 09 is on the limit. Engines with a RC carb will fit better because the fuel nipple and needle are higher up.

Lieven

Lieven -  Thanks for the pictures. Clearly shows there is little room for NV adjustment, without shaving off your knuckles!  I do like your idea of the " Turducken " set up, that would work,  very secure and safe.     Clapping
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down