Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

How's the weather? - Page 12 Cox_ba12

How's the weather? - Page 12 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Today at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Today at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Today at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Today at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Today at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Today at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Today at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Yesterday at 7:32 pm

» TD 09 Ducted Fan
by getback Yesterday at 8:41 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

How's the weather? - Page 12 Empty
Live on Patrol

How's the weather?

Page 12 of 41 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 41  Next

Go down

How's the weather? - Page 12 Empty Re: How's the weather?

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:11 am

Rod, looks like you got a healthy lot of hail for it to persist that much until morning. I remember around 1965 that it snowed a couple inches in Biloxi, Mississippi, a Gulf coast town along the ocean front. Normally it only snows there like once every 10 years. It would have been school as usual further north. School was closed for a couple days. There were power outages. As kids we enjoyed it.

Here, we can expect hail at least once a year. Several years ago, we were deluged. Normally it is just enough to cover the ground. We had 4 inches of hail fall. Last night we had a hurricane styled deluge rain, very unusual. My house sprung a leak in the living room. Shouldn't have happened, our house was reroofed 10 years ago. I have some checking to do. I'm thinking that it was so hard that it overwhelmed a roof vent.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:53 am

Heah Rod thats pretty crazy there , bet you didn't know what the heck was going on till U seen the hail beating down . Here it is still hot and humid !! We have had our share of rain and thunder boomers this yr. alot more than i have seen in a while . We had 2 wks. it stormed every enven /night rain rain rain really done a number on my garden and the grass cutting has been a chore Sad lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:40 am

Rain, more rain, and more rain. We had a break yesterday hot and muggy. Today, it's rain again. A steady fairly light good soaking rain. This is going to make my tomatoes split.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:55 am

Burning sizzling hot in Central Europe at 34C or so...I love it and hate airconditioning..I could spend the rest of my life in a swim short boxer with only some basic amenities ( guess what) around..

How's the weather? - Page 12 20180811
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:30 pm

Here in Central Texas mostly we get hammered with summer Thunder storms and a LOT of Thunder and very heavy rain...but usually short lived as the fronts move very fast
Since (94) living here, we have twice experienced 7~8 inches in under an hour.....typically 4 inches per hour is flooded every where rate

A super cell can drop dime sized up to soft ball sized hail ...worst on OUR roof was base ball sized and re replace with all metal roof...since the replacement roof (thicker Gage metal BTW) we have had some very bad hail storms and not significant damage we can live with a dimpled but still dry roof...grin

USAA ..our home owners insurer, actually has a higher premium for my area because of the annual Hail damage costs....

April 2007 we got 4 inches of heavy wet snow   over night....was quiet, serene, and very pretty that morning... then back up to 58 F and all melted away by noon

BUT the most interesting thing, weather wise, about our property is we are half way up a set of hills describing the Central Texas Hill country....Due west of me is flat land at 20 to 125 foot above sea....we are half way up a 980 foot (Cheyenne mountain) I call it a hill---- and the shape of the series of the Five Hills is a tunnel ..... Front coming from---**East North east or east south east...the conditions are just right to start a Bow front to tumble and go vertical instead of horizontal.........I got an Idea Missouri Kim might understand this dynamic

Wife and I have actually (in 20 years) seen the development of 80% of the Tornadoes that punished areas just east a few miles from us

In last 40 years there has been Zero tornadoes touch down West* of our micro ranch and 25 just slightly East or behind us....most non event with low damage but a few that wiped a whole town ship off the map..I do me TOTAL destruction, not a structure left

House is 38 wide by 100 long and front porch faces West and Down hill...very spectacular sun sets 300 day a year

**Never sure how to accurately describe this...the wind is blowing from the west to the East...into and up the hills...and there is a oblique angle of flow that causes the tumble and sudden change to vertical column of air...a funnel!
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:15 pm

Yup, certainly some unusual stuff going on everywhere. Super-hot in Europe, extra wet & cold here in Victoria, but a devistating drought in much or Aus. and heaps of bushfires happening in the middle of winter!! Crazy. No rain in two years in many parts. We see convoys of trucks taking feed up north daily, coming from areas where there's been good fodder seasons. Most farmers here have now learnt to bale all the hay & silage they can even if it's far more than they need. They may need it some day, or someone else. Fortunately, I live in one of the greenest high rainfall areas in the state, maybe the country. Usually plenty of grass, but more growth can somethimes lead to fires. Not looking forward to that. Seen lots of news reports about fires in California and Greece etc. Terrible stuff.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:59 pm

fredvon4 wrote:
BUT the most interesting thing, weather wise, about our property is we are half way up a set of hills describing the Central Texas Hill country....Due west of me is flat land at 20 to 125 foot above sea....we are half way up a 980 foot (Cheyenne mountain) I call it a hill---- and the shape of the series of the Five Hills is a tunnel ..... Front coming from---**East North east or east south east...the conditions are just right to start a Bow front to tumble and go vertical instead of horizontal.........I got an Idea Missouri Kim might understand this dynamic

My buddies at Breezy Hill (and the Chester, Illinois area) claim that they're protected by a reverse of this----that storms building up across the river and moving East are blunted by the shape of the steep bluffs and hills that line the Mississippi River on their side.

I had a hard time buying the idea, but there have NOW been (along with others) two tornadoes that ripped through and around Perryville, Missouri---about 8 miles west of Chester but scattered and dissipated as they crossed the river. So maybe there's something to it...I still can't see some 100-150 ft bluffs really diverting one of these monsters that top out in the stratosphere.

Ain't-No-Weatherman-Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:00 am

Same here in West Virginia, but perhaps a bit more aggressive landscape.  Ridges here run about 1300 feet with valleys in between that break up destructive winds.  Mountains to the West run about 5000'. I don't think there has ever been a tornado in WV.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

How's the weather? - Page 12 Empty Florence

Post  dckrsn Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:56 pm

Hoping all our CEF friends in the mid-Atlantic coastal region and inland, will be safe in
what will probably be some dreadful times. Godspeed all.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:17 pm

Heavy TRW this morning, incredible cloud formations this afternoon.  Beautiful flying weather this evening, clear blue, 22, very light SE wind.  Tomorrow will be another story.  Looks like the worst is headed towards our SC friends.  Prayers with them.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:28 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Here in Central Texas mostly we get hammered with summer Thunder storms and a LOT of Thunder and very heavy rain...but usually short lived as the fronts move very fast

Wife and I have actually (in 20 years) seen the development of 80% of the Tornadoes that punished areas just east a few miles from us

**Never sure how to accurately describe this...the wind is blowing from the west to the East...into and up the hills...and there is a oblique angle of flow that causes the tumble and sudden change to vertical column of air...a funnel!

Ever seen the sky turn green?  It happens there. I've seen it. Central Texas weather is crazy. They say the wind blows out of the south because Oklahoma sucks. No offense to Okeys, I'm just sayin

Last edited by Dave P. on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:30 pm

Hey Dave....looks to me like you gonna get pounded pretty good also

This flo bit...... is no joke

I know you decided to hunker down.... as did many of my friends n family in the greater VA TO GEORGIA region

Seriously praying all will be safe
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:41 pm

I hope that those who are in the most imminent wake of the storm leave as the authorities have recommended. Life is worth more than one's possessions. Remember Barry Cowsill, a member of the Cowsills Band, who decided to remain and perished in the Hurricane Katrina disaster or in crime spree that followed.

Billboard Jan 6, 2006 - Cowsills Member Found Dead In New Orleans
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:54 am

Yes, my grandson and Rusty live in what is predicted to be ground zero (rain) for this hurricane. My grandson lived in Colorado most of his life and has never seen a hurricane. He's in for an education I believe.

Hoping Rusty's shed/workshop floor stays dry.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:51 am

I am definitely praying for everyone in the path of the hurricane. Remember, if the storm goes over or very near you, that is just the beginning of your hurricane experience. Dealing with the aftermath of the storm could be a very long, nasty and trying experience. I still haven't repaired all the damage to my house from Irma.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:04 am

In 2007, we were in a Category 5 typhoon in Okinawa. The difference there was all the buildings were hardened to withstand the winds. Most buildings are concrete but some are wood. House windows are heavy duty commercial grade with layers of tempered glass laminated together with a plastic barrier similar to car windshields. If the winds break them they will still hold together. In parts of the towns, windows had steel bars over them, not to prevent break ins but to protect against flying debris.

I had never seen wind driven rain go sideways. Winds were up in such speeds that one dared not go out. There is no way a human being could be walking out there and not be blown away. Lower portions of Naha downtown were flooded with several feet water. The storm came Friday into Saturday all day. It was cleanup on Sunday. Monday it was back to work.

For centuries they have been used to these type storms regularly pounding them, and as such they have learned to deal with it. They have a very strict building code, but that paid off.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:29 am

Hello friends ; I am about 150 miles through the woods from the Hurr . I was glad to hear the cat is at 2 now ,but still moving slow at 17 mph and surges are not looking good for the coast . I got to get my gen ready today had to put it off yesterday to much other stuff that couldn't wait. More worried about the rain at a possible 10 " is a tree up rooter after all the rain we have had will not bee good . I hope Rusty is getting things in order considering the last time all the flooding and emergency facility's not in order. The people not getting out are freaking nuts thinking well its just another storm and there full of it from the weather people ! Right now still warm and humid as crap . I hear some of the gas stations are saying there out of gas and NOT just waiting so they can raise the price in an emergency . That's bull and I hope they (the popo ) catch them !! WE will see what's in for us and hope to fly this weekend ?!! Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:07 pm

While the flooding is nothing to joke about...

Bigger problem I see with Flo is the LONG lingering..... Power and movement CAN NOT be restored until the main event dissipates or moves on inland or north

Folks like Rusty always need medical attention fairly frequently....power out for 7~10 or more days is a bad situation for a LOT of folks

Yes many of the hospitals will have back up power --BUT if you are 6 miles away and CAN NOT get there....they may as well have been shut down

As a soldier and later as a Civilian Amateur radio guy ---I have worked all sorts of natural disasters.. I have also participated in three different Dept Of Home Land Security disaster drills....basically a coordination event done with real life actors and all assets....very well scripted and funded...

AT Every event, the scenario was posed as probable and realistic.....each relied heavily on stats from past real world events

As the center of Hurricane Katrina passed southeast of New Orleans on August 29, 2005, winds downtown were in the Category 1 range with frequent intense gusts and tidal surge

WTF....did you know or should you care....to this day there are still refugees from Katrina being housed on Tax payer dollars in Killeen Texas....this is very true and you can look it up

Hurricane Harvey of 2017 is tied with 2005's Hurricane Katrina as the costliest tropical cyclone on record, inflicting $125 billion in damage, primarily from catastrophic rainfall-triggered flooding in the Houston metropolitan area.

DYKOSYC* Aug 17th 2017 was about 13 months ago and to this day there is approximately 35% of the Business and civilian homes fully are restored or rebuilt.....funny little bad and serious FACTOID....THERE are NO craftsman available to go into any disaster area and REBUILD..... They simply do NOT EXIST.....real point is...These logistics problem sets up all the NON professional and NON License disaster companies a grand opportunity to do over prices and sub standard work.....

In a four-day period, many areas received more than 40 inches (1,000 mm) of rain as the system slowly meandered over eastern Texas and adjacent waters, causing unprecedented flooding. ......FWIIW...I still have personal friends in the area who living still in motels waiting some day for the rebuilt company to get to THEM....

DYKOSYC #2
How many flooded CARS are in GIANT lots near Houston awaiting disposal?

Bonus question ---what is the population of the Greater Houston area effected by the Hurricane? Extra points if you can relate some equivalent math based examples ....for instance.....how many gallons of water dose a human need to survive 10 days

So the math needed is a Husband ...wife and one kid... at WalMart/HEB/HomeDepot/Lowes....how many cases of bottled water does he need to buy?

Hint Texas population is near 29 Million
Greater Houston population is near 7 million

Sorry folks...I am a school trained LOGISTICS expert, and a school of hard Knocks trained LEADER/Sociological/Psychiatrist/Mentor/.....and NO apologies...folks made sure in the 60~70 that I got a Parochial Education and NOT a PUBLIC education

*( did you know or should you care).

Yes Virginia I am sort of passionate on this subject

Lived all over....
Mississippi Flooding...been there in Fridley MN---Joliet IL
Tornadoes...Been there in Fridley MN----totally wiped out a trailer park 2 blocks away
3+ years Island of Taiwan (Formosa) annual Typhoons...hell I was justa kid but each event nearly wiped out the entire island
Crossed the Pacific on USS Mann going to Formosa... not one but 2 Typhoons on the route.... added 7 days to the crossing
FT Greeley AK....Artillery Test 1974... supposed to be near -35F to -48F....That week was -87F to -94F
Need I mention NY state Fort Drum...10th Mountain
Of NC Fort Bragg
Or SC Forth Stewart
Or VA Fort Eustice
OR 3 of my 5 Germany tours

I am not being some sort of nut case alarmist.... BUT above is MY personal experience with very EXTREME weather

SO this taught me a few things
1--- NONE of us can control Ma Nature
2--- There are good and not so good places to live....banks of Mississippi river or any property on east coast is a bad plan
....hell there are thirty other lessons.... you all fill in the list

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:27 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Yes many of the hospitals will have back up power --BUT if you are 6 miles away and CAN NOT get there....they may as well have been shut down.
It's been a while, but from I can recall, hospitals have on-site fuel storage for a couple days of emergency power, depend on trucks and indefinite delivery contracts to refuel those tanks. However, if the fuel trucks cannot safely deliver, they won't come. You see those red outlet receptacles in ER's, patient rooms, etc.? Those are on emergency generator circuits. Not all circuits on the hospital have power, only a subset.

Then, if they anticipate an extended fuel delivery outage, may prioritize what emergency circuits remain up and what doesn't. Some "critical" circuits will have to be cut, so that others considered more critical remain on.

Thus, if it appears that this storm is increasing to critical mass and going to hit a particular area with such severe veracity to compromise survival, then best to hightail it out of the area. Those with health problems depended on medications and medical equipment need to be the first to evacuate. If a lock down aftermath occurs, may make life sustaining measures difficult, affecting survivability.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:00 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:In 2007, we were in a Category 5 typhoon in Okinawa. The difference there was all the buildings were hardened to withstand the winds. Most buildings are concrete but some are wood. House windows are heavy duty commercial grade with layers of tempered glass laminated together with a plastic barrier similar to car windshields. If the winds break them they will still hold together. In parts of the towns, windows had steel bars over them, not to prevent break ins but to protect against flying debris.

I had never seen wind driven rain go sideways. Winds were up in such speeds that one dared not go out. There is no way a human being could be walking out there and not be blown away. Lower portions of Naha downtown were flooded with several feet water. The storm came Friday into Saturday all day. It was cleanup on Sunday. Monday it was back to work.

For centuries they have been used to these type storms regularly pounding them, and as such they have learned to deal with it. They have a very strict building code, but that paid off.

Good point! Naples took Irma, as a cat 4, right on the chin and survived with RELATIVELY minimal damage. But, we also have some of the strictest building codes in the US. And, our infrastructure is geared for heavy duty draining! Funny, there has been a lot less complaining aobut building codes over the last year! After flying over southeast Florida after Andrew I will still urge everyone to get the hell out of the way of any major hurricane. Much of Homestead, and even south Dada county was wiped out. I think Doug has even shared some post-Andrew pics with us before.

By the way, it's in the low 90's and raining here. No biggie, though! I finally fixed the truck's A/C!!!
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:16 pm

George and Fit.... I do get it and been there done that...( not deliberately...just a consequence of job and affiliation)

So I am still here to discuss my POV

I still say and will always say.... LIFE is most important

If you have advanced warning....move your butt and all family and critters AWAY ....long before the escape route is clogged to a stand still

As a logistics and team manager of a LOT of first responders....in several disaster areas....

Twice I can count the population had no clue and no warning..... so that is what it is

BUT ---most of the time there was a 2 to 7 day warning.... and LOT of preparation to manage the EGRESS ROUTS

DID YOU Notice all roads away form the coast in NC and SC are marked " HURRICANE ROUTE" and both sides of the Highway/Interstate were heading inland

It totally aggravates me that next week we WILL see or read about some stupid that decided to STAY and now his family is PIST about NO proper FEMA support of services......... and I am sure I do not really need to add in

IT IS ALL TRUMPS FAULT...

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:16 pm

fit90 wrote:
GallopingGhostler wrote:In 2007, we were in a Category 5 typhoon in Okinawa. The difference there was all the buildings were hardened to withstand the winds. Most buildings are concrete but some are wood. House windows are heavy duty commercial grade with layers of tempered glass laminated together with a plastic barrier similar to car windshields. If the winds break them they will still hold together. In parts of the towns, windows had steel bars over them, not to prevent break ins but to protect against flying debris.

Good point! Naples took Irma, as a cat 4, right on the chin and survived with RELATIVELY minimal damage. But, we also have some of the strictest building codes in the US. And, our infrastructure is geared for heavy duty draining! Funny, there has been a lot less complaining aobut building codes over the last year! After flying over southeast Florida after Andrew I will still urge everyone to get the hell out of the way of any major hurricane. Much of Homestead, and even south Dada county was wiped out. I think Doug has even shared some post-Andrew pics with us before.

By the way, it's in the low 90's and raining here. No biggie, though! I finally fixed the truck's A/C!!!

You mentioned your still working on the damage one year later, hope you get done soon. Wind speed instruments all over south Dade broke at over 200 mph, including the one at the airbase. The County said it was Cat3!!!!! BULLCR@P CBS homes with roof strapped to a concrete tie beam lifted away, tie beam and all. Dealing with Dade Co. Building Dept. is on reason I retired, I could write a book. Fred #3 is insurance, insurance and a little more insurance.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:04 pm

There area few of us CEFers in the path of Flo. Thanks for the thoughts and honorable mentions. Hatches are battened, pets are in, all's secure in sector seven!
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:49 pm

Looks like you guys in SC are gonna get it worse than we are. Prayers and thoughts with you.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:40 pm

crankbndr wrote:The County said it was Cat3!!!!! BULLCR@P CBS homes with roof strapped to a concrete tie beam lifted away, tie beam and all. Dealing with Dade Co. Building Dept. is on reason I retired, I could write a book.
Perhaps their inspectors were former flat bed truck drivers. Wink Laughing drunken  I Love This Forum!
How's the weather? - Page 12 2018-074
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 41 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 41  Next