Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

No planes for a few days. Cox_ba12

No planes for a few days. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

No planes for a few days. Empty
Live on Patrol

No planes for a few days.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

No planes for a few days. Empty No planes for a few days.

Post  batjac Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:44 am

Well, planes are having to take a backseat for a few days.  With Christmas coming soon, I have to spend the last few days getting ready for it.  Only one present left to make, and it’s the one taking the longest.  My wife loves Ms. Pacman, so she’s getting her own bartop arcade.  I’ve already done all the electronics, using a JAMMA 412-in-1 card and arcade quality joystick and buttons.  I’ve got the card set to default to Ms. Pacman, but after a few days of the wife playing the machine, I’ll unlock a few of the other games to play.  Now I have to finish the cabinet, and I’m running out of time.  I still have to find a good laminate for the sides of the cabinet, and a decent plexiglass cover for the front.  The wife’s taking Monday off, so I lose a day to work on the cabinet, too.

As usual, I jumped in and started cutting without taking pictures.  I drew out the sides using the TLAR approach and cut out one side panel, shaping and trimming it the way I wanted it.  Then I cut out the bottom, back and front panels.  The crappy Harbor Freight jigsaw I am using screwed up the cut when I tried using a guide to make some straight cuts.  So everything was cut free hand.

Here I fastened the second side to the one I had shaped earlier and used a flush cut router bit to make the two sides match.   It’s raining pretty hard, so I can’t cut outside, so I used the formal living room.  I’ll just have to hide the mess from the wife for the next couple of days.

No planes for a few days. DSCN4338_zps60o5t1fe

Here it is clamped together for drilling the screw holes and screwing the sides and back together.  I still have to cut down the top of the back panel, and make up the top cap.  I figure it’s easier to do it piecemeal than to try and draw it all out ahead of time.

No planes for a few days. DSCN4339_zps2acum3u9
No planes for a few days. DSCN4340_zpshrkrhtmn

Here’s a general idea of what It’ll look like with the monitor in place, and the control panel in place.

No planes for a few days. DSCN4344_zps8f8qbuav

The Pac-Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

No planes for a few days. Empty what a great husband

Post  happydad Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:03 am

batjac wrote:Well, planes are having to take a backseat for a few days.  With Christmas coming soon, I have to spend the last few days getting ready for it.  Only one present left to make, and it’s the one taking the longest.  My wife loves Ms. Pacman, so she’s getting her own bartop arcade.  I’ve already done all the electronics, using a JAMMA 412-in-1 card and arcade quality joystick and buttons.  I’ve got the card set to default to Ms. Pacman, but after a few days of the wife playing the machine, I’ll unlock a few of the other games to play.  Now I have to finish the cabinet, and I’m running out of time.  I still have to find a good laminate for the sides of the cabinet, and a decent plexiglass cover for the front.  The wife’s taking Monday off, so I lose a day to work on the cabinet, too.

As usual, I jumped in and started cutting without taking pictures.  I drew out the sides using the TLAR approach and cut out one side panel, shaping and trimming it the way I wanted it.  Then I cut out the bottom, back and front panels.  The crappy Harbor Freight jigsaw I am using screwed up the cut when I tried using a guide to make some straight cuts.  So everything was cut free hand.

Here I fastened the second side to the one I had shaped earlier and used a flush cut router bit to make the two sides match.   It’s raining pretty hard, so I can’t cut outside, so I used the formal living room.  I’ll just have to hide the mess from the wife for the next couple of days.

Here it is clamped together for drilling the screw holes and screwing the sides and back together.  I still have to cut down the top of the back panel, and make up the top cap.  I figure it’s easier to do it piecemeal than to try and draw it all out ahead of time.

Here’s a general idea of what It’ll look like with the monitor in place, and the control panel in place.

No planes for a few days. DSCN4344_zps8f8qbuav

The Pac-Mark

Mark: You must have a one in a kazillion wife. One who loves Ms. PacMan. And you are one great husband to give up your planes for a while to build her a great gift like this. +1 for you brother in Cox models.  

happydad RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

No planes for a few days. Empty Re: No planes for a few days.

Post  akjgardner Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:21 am

Nice Job Mark.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:48 am

I like it Mark , is there any tools you didn't get out lol , keeping that a secret is surly a job in itself !! I see you did get an airplane in that one pic . You are truly a good man and nothing is more loving than Homemade . Eric This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:15 pm

getback wrote:I like it Mark , is there any tools you didn't get out lol ,

Actually, I had to order a mandrel and cutting blade to route out the slots for the pink T-molding for the sides. Very Happy

The "Any Excuse for a New Tool" Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:49 pm

She's gonna love that!!! Like Eric said.. the fact that it was custom-made by you, makes it extra special! Lighting The Tree
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:37 pm

Noted elsewhere I tend to peek around at the background of photos of you guys houses

Many times it makes me grateful that I have several external shops so I can keep the mess confined out side of the main house and the Turkey dinner from sharing smells of dope in the dinning room

Plus I can conveniently surprise my wife or grand children with Christmas evening placements under the tree they have NO CLUE about and no time to shake and giggle

I love being Santa

batjak.... cool project, I am sure it will be cherished by your lady for a long time
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:39 pm

Thumbs Up A great idea and a way to show you care. Homemade gifts are the best.

I am still thinking and looking for ideas as to what to get for my wife. Time's running out so I may have to get her some jewellery again Huh...

But using a router in a living room... Dude, you must have a pretty good vacuum cleaner Shocked
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:46 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Noted elsewhere I tend to peek around at the background of photos of you guys houses

I note the same behavior in myself. Other people's houses and especially their shops interest me for some reason.

Maybe a "video shop tour" thread is in order Smile Not that I have anything to show...
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:53 pm

Lighting The Tree Christmas Tree Christmas Tree Christmas Tree  Go plug the tree in !!! its outside Rudolph Rudolph  My bedroom is a workshop , saw ,sander, work table , hand drill , wood ... SHOP VACUUM !! Where is the airplane stuff Bad Xmas Gift
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:31 pm

Now I want one...

That is AWESOME. That electronics kit makes it pretty attainable too.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ARUP Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:05 pm

Don't forget the coin slot so as to turn it on for play! The $$$ can be used to fund grandkids' college (or buy more airplane stuff *snicker*)
ARUP
ARUP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:51 pm

Oops!  I left the rechargeable battery and charger where she could see them last night.  This morning she asked me about them.

Wife - What are you drilling?
Me - ::Uh-Oh::  Ummm?
Wife - What are you drilling?
Me - ::think, think, think:: Drilling?
Wife - The battery on charge.  What are you drilling?
Me - ::think, think, think **PING!**::  Oh! You remember the Bottle O’ Engines I got a couple of months ago with the kinda rare engines?  I’m building a display stand for them…
Wife - ::Airplane stuff. Meh::  Oh, okay.

The Pooh Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:41 pm

lol! That's funny. I'da just said, Your Christmas present.

I intercepted my Christmas present from the UPS guy. It's a big self healing cutting mat. I can't wait to see how it works.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:11 am

KariFS wrote:
fredvon4 wrote:Noted elsewhere I tend to peek around at the background of photos of you guys houses

I note the same behavior in myself. Other people's houses and especially their shops interest me for some reason.

Maybe a "video shop tour" thread is in order Smile Not that I have anything to show...

I could probably show you some nice kitchen utensils because it is there where the eggs of my RC birds hatch..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:40 am

Well, with the wife home all day, I didn’t get to do much on the project.  After she turned in I finished up the control panel woodwork.  I marked and drilled holes for the buttons and the joystick, then I routed out the recess for the stick in the back of the panel.  I had to do the router freehand, so it’s not precise, but it works.  I mounted everything to see how it looks.  I’ll have to see if I can find some pink arcade buttons online later.

No planes for a few days. DSCN4350_zpsrgeu4iqh
No planes for a few days. DSCN4349_zpsf9uoyfkm
No planes for a few days. DSCN4352_zpse6mgzpo1

This is about all I’ll get to do until she goes back to work on Tuesday morning.  Then I’ll have to put it in overdrive to have it finished by Thursday evening.

The Five Speed Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:33 am

Wow. That is quite a piece of work. I cannot wait to see the finished product. Heck, if this was me in your situation, she wouldn't get it till next year. Very Happy
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:45 am

The wife wasn’t feeling well and went to bed early, so I got some more time to work on this tonight.  I don’t know that I said what I’m making this out of before.  The sides are ¾” MDF.  All the rest is ½” MDF.

First, I went ahead and cut a hole in the front panel for the reset button.  Then I trimmed the bottom plate at the rear sorta even with the back panel.  Then I sanded it flush with the back panel.  My crappy Harbor Freight sanding tool wasn’t working, so I had to do it the hard way with a block and sandpaper.  

Then I cut off the top of the back panel about even with where I’m going to put the top plate.  Yeah, I know.  Crooked cut on top.  But after I mount the top plate, I’ll sand the top of the back plate flush and make it nice and pretty.  After taking off the excess top material from the back panel, I sectioned the back panel into an upper cross piece, a bottom cross piece, and a center panel for an access door.

No planes for a few days. DSCN4354_zpsm1df5uhn
No planes for a few days. DSCN4355_zpsksk8rbl4
No planes for a few days. DSCN4358_zps6vcuipkt

Here’s where it’s at right now.  The black button on the lower right is the reset button.

No planes for a few days. DSCN4362_zpshzxbb7cx

Things left to do:
1) Get a different hinge.  The one I have is unsatisfactory.
2) Get some sort of locking mechanism for the back.
3) Mark the location for the speaker on one of the sides and route out the location until the thickness of the MDF in that area is only 1/16” thick.  Then drill a bunch of holes for the sound to get out.
4) Get some plexiglass and cut it to shape to go in front of the monitor, drill a 1/32” hole in the face to allow the power button to be pushed in the monitor if necessary, and then paint a black border on the back so that only the screen shows.
5) Make a cross piece behind the control panel with a slot in it for the plexiglass to sit in.
6) Make side rails to support the plexiglass.  I’m thinking I should have plenty of ¼” spruce in my scrap box to make that work.
7) MAYBE get some ¼” MDF if Home Depot has some and make a plate to go between the plexiglass and the monitor.
8 ) Slot the top piece for the top of the plexiglass.
9) Cut a hole in the back for the power switch.
10) Make up a socket for the power cord in the back.
11) Cut a hole in the back for a cooling fan and mount it.
12) Setup the router and route the sides and front for the pink T-molding.
13) Get some laminate and apply it to the sides and back of the cabinet.
14) Fix the monitor stand so that it site vertical. It's canted a little counter clockwise.
15) Fabricate a power cord to go from the power switch to the monitor and the Jamma board power supply.
16) Mount the Jamma board and the power supply in the cabinet.
17) Wire up the control panel, reset button, and speaker.
18) Test everything.
19) Anything I missed
20) Find a box and wrap it up for Christmas.

See?  I’m almost done!

The Kidding Himself Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:48 am

For someone who can build a plane in two days that should not bee a problem ?// I am sure you can make it come together , HAPPY HOLIDAYS !! Eric Christmas Tree
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:27 pm

That is just awesome!! Your Mrs should enjoy her Mrs PAC man immensely! Nothing better than a hand made gift.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:55 pm

Its looking good Mark
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

No planes for a few days. Empty *** SIGH ***

Post  batjac Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:43 pm

Well, the wife stayed home sick today, so I don't know how I'm going to get this done without her knowing about it.  I have a couple of things to do that'll make a lot of noise, and some painting to do...

Ah, well.  At least I got a couple of hours in last night after she went to bed.

I couldn't find the kind of piano hinge that I wanted, so I used the smallest hinges I could find.  I cut the hole for a lock and installed it, along with some blocks for the latch and to hold the door in place on the sides.  Then I made up a shelf for the plexiglass to sit on (very time consuming) and installed side rails for the plexiglass also.  Then I drilled and mounted the top cap.  I marked the location for the speaker, but that's the noisy part.  I have to route out the 3/4" MDF to 1/16" to fit the speaker in and make the sound holes.  Neutral

Doesn't sound like much, but it took a while just to do that much.

No planes for a few days. DSCN4366_zpshr14j8l5
No planes for a few days. DSCN4368_zpspfomkvqk
No planes for a few days. DSCN4373_zpsl8s9hybc

Things left to do:
1) Get a different hinge.  The one I have is unsatisfactory.
2) Get some sort of locking mechanism for the back.
3) Mark the location for the speaker on one of the sides and route out the location until the thickness of the MDF in that area is only 1/16” thick.  Then drill a bunch of holes for the sound to get out.
4) Get some plexiglass and cut it to shape to go in front of the monitor, drill a 1/32” hole in the face to allow the power button to be pushed in the monitor if necessary, and then paint a black border on the back so that only the screen shows.
5) Make a cross piece behind the control panel with a slot in it for the plexiglass to sit in.
6) Make side rails to support the plexiglass.  I’m thinking I should have plenty of ¼” spruce in my scrap box to make that work.
7) MAYBE get some ¼” MDF if Home Depot has some and make a plate to go between the plexiglass and the monitor. (Don't have time for it)
8 ) Slot the top piece for the top of the plexiglass.
9) Cut a hole in the back for the power switch.
10) Make up a socket for the power cord in the back.
11) Cut a hole in the back for a cooling fan and mount it.
12) Setup the router and route the sides and front for the pink T-molding.
13) Get some laminate and apply it to the sides and back of the cabinet.
14) Fix the monitor stand so that it sits vertical. It's canted a little counter clockwise.
15) Fabricate a power cord to go from the power switch to the monitor and the Jamma board power supply.
16) Mount the Jamma board and the power supply in the cabinet.
17) Wire up the control panel, reset button, and speaker.
18) Test everything.
19) Anything I missed
20) Find a box and wrap it up for Christmas.

The Hard Pressed Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:00 am

Tell her you're building a field box for a friend Santa
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:13 am

wow mark thats wicked!Shocked Thumbs Up maybe have a hole in the plexi glass so you can put a small pice of dowel in to turn it on from the out side Santa I Love This Forum!
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:34 am

Well, I finally got it done, and with a half hour to spare.  The wife stayed home from work sick three days, so my build time was seriously impacted.  I finally finished it up at 11:30 after she went to sleep.  So, I got it done before Christmas… cheers

I had to do a lot of searching to find the right shade of Ms. PacMan blue, but I did it.  Here’s a decent shot of the color.

No planes for a few days. DSCN4380_zpshkeln3pt

And a shot of the game opening screen.  I was going to shoot a video of it booting up into the game, but my camera battery died as it was starting to boot.  I’ll get some video when the wife is playing it tomorrow (today).

No planes for a few days. DSCN4383_zpsns3vsmd5

So, I am finally done getting ready for Christmas…

I hope Y’all have fun today,
The Squeeker Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next