Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A family affair Cox_ba12

A family affair Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A family affair Empty
Live on Patrol

A family affair

Go down

A family affair Empty A family affair

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:08 pm

My back yard about 15 minutes ago.  

A family affair Deer_010[url=http:

A family affair Deer_012

Wonder if my game cam set up for catching the local black bear raid my bird feeder got them........

A family affair Deer_011
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A family affair Empty Re: A family affair

Post  roddie Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:42 pm

Really beautiful Bob. It's been 4-5 years since I've seen deer in my backyard. We moved here 6 years ago.. and that first year I mounted a salt-lick to a tree.. and used to toss carrot-sticks and apples around near it. I haven't done that in the last few years. I should start doing that again. There's a good 10-15 acres of woods behind our house.. with a network of trails. One trail leads to a small old apple orchard. The area is overgrown now.. so the apple trees are in poor health.. but still flower and produce some fruit. That would be a nice spot to mount a game-cam.. if I had one.

Been meaning to tell you.. your new home bears an uncanny resemblance to where I lived; from the time I was 5 years old until around the age of 16.

Here's a photo of a watercolor of the property; done by a friend of my mom's, after we'd moved in 1976.

A family affair Bernie10

You posted this photo of your home a while back.. and I practically gasped at the likeness.

A family affair Remini10

You may not see what I did.. but the "right-hand" view of your property closely resembles how I remember our home. There was a single-story addition (wing) on the right side.. very similar to yours.. (less dormer-windows).

The tree that you see in the watercolor, is a Chestnut. I haven't seen many trees that are bigger than that tree was. It was said to have saved the house in a hurricane back in the late 50's where the un-attached garage (in the background..) was lifted off its foundation. The tree had a twisting crack in its 40+ inch diameter trunk which bled-off water/sap every year that we lived there. The chestnuts were a lot of fun as a kid. I looked forward to them falling. Their spiny green shells; some of which would split-open.. exposing the nut inside. I remember having chestnut-fights with the neighbor-kids. We'd fill a pail with chestnuts and use metal trash-can lids for shields at 40 paces!!! Back in those days, we placed the metal barrels below the downspouts to collect rain-water for the gardens. That house and the surrounding property was demolished some 20 years ago.. to make way for a day-care center. That area of the town was industrial zoned. Today; it's virtually unrecognizable. I still have my memories.

Thanks for sharing Bob. You never know who's heart you'll touch!  Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:10 pm

BTW........ that watercolor of my old house.. in the foreground (left side of the house) there was a side-yard... where a Cox " Sopwith Camel" flew a few times.. (by my dad) circa 1968. I was 8 years old.

A family affair Cox-so10

My dad was a "builder" (not so much a flyer.. ) He built me a beautiful Carl Goldberg "Swordsman 18" with a Babe Bee on it. I can't remember if it flew.. (I'll have to ask him..) It was finished (Aero-gloss) with a black fuse.. and dk. green wing/stab. with the supplied checkerboard decals. I wish I'd had more of an interest in aero-modeling back then. God knows; I had exposure through my dad, his brother in-law (my uncle) and his father in-law (my Grandfather) who all flew control-line back in the 60's when it was popular. It was approx. 25 years later, that I would get bitten by the model-airplane bug. Married with 4 young children I was.. when my dad showed-up at my house (circa 1992..) with a Cox PT 19 flight-trainer and starting-kit. "We" flew it.. repeatedly... and I was hooked. I started buying balsa-wood.. and researching simple 1/2A design criteria.. and I was building my own airplanes that flew! I had no buddies that were into the hobby... so I flew alone with the help of a pin-stooge that I built to launch my models. That continued for 2-3 years.. and several self-designed models. Fast-forward to 2014... where I made an attempt to fly the CEF "Reed-Speed" model of my "Rare-Bear".. and couldn't even get it off the ground.. Had I lost the Mojo?...... Shocked (I still wonder..) No.. I didn't... I still have it. I think about aero-modelling design almost every day. It's a thing that I feel helps to keep my sanity.

I really enjoy your posts Bob. They're always interesting and fresh. They often encourage thought.. which is a priceless commodity. Smile

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:10 pm

Roddie hello, I hope to convey my emotion to read your story and beginnings. That beautiful painting your house. Who made the painting? she looks great.
I hope to convey my words, because I do not handle the English and hope you can read and understand, I was born in a very small town, there was modelers and lost my father when I was 5 years old, however this model aircraft was born with me and remember I drew on real planes that flew by my people at a high altitude and then more or less drew figures and cut, tying those models that never flew with a thread and towing, so were my beginnings, alone and with a passion he was born with me.
Thank you for sharing your experiences!...Mauricio.-

I think I need a translator to convey so much emotion!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:22 am

Maurico, amo leggere la tua prosa e ha senso per me ma è possibile tradurre da inglese a italiano qui:

https://www.freetranslation.com/en/?_sp=5f52b046d02abe16.1470482059198

Just use the arrows to swap/select languages.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:58 am

roddie wrote:Really beautiful Bob. It's been 4-5 years since I've seen deer in my backyard. We moved here 6 years ago.. and that first year I mounted a salt-lick to a tree.. and used to toss carrot-sticks and apples around near it. I haven't done that in the last few years. I should start doing that again. There's a good 10-15 acres of woods behind our house.. with a network of trails. One trail leads to a small old apple orchard. The area is overgrown now.. so the apple trees are in poor health.. but still flower and produce some fruit. That would be a nice spot to mount a game-cam.. if I had one.

Been meaning to tell you.. your new home bears an uncanny resemblance to where I lived; from the time I was 5 years old until around the age of 16.

Here's a photo of a watercolor of the property; done by a friend of my mom's, after we'd moved in 1976.

A family affair Bernie10

You posted this photo of your home a while back.. and I practically gasped at the likeness.

A family affair Remini10

You may not see what I did.. but the "right-hand" view of your property closely resembles how I remember our home. There was a single-story addition (wing) on the right side.. very similar to yours.. (less dormer-windows).

The tree that you see in the watercolor, is a Chestnut. I haven't seen many trees that are bigger than that tree was. It was said to have saved the house in a hurricane back in the late 50's where the un-attached garage (in the background..) was lifted off its foundation. The tree had a twisting crack in its 40+ inch diameter trunk which bled-off water/sap every year that we lived there. The chestnuts were a lot of fun as a kid. I looked forward to them falling. Their spiny green shells; some of which would split-open.. exposing the nut inside. I remember having chestnut-fights with the neighbor-kids. We'd fill a pail with chestnuts and use metal trash-can lids for shields at 40 paces!!! Back in those days, we placed the metal barrels below the downspouts to collect rain-water for the gardens. That house and the surrounding property was demolished some 20 years ago.. to make way for a day-care center. That area of the town was industrial zoned. Today; it's virtually unrecognizable. I still have my memories.

Thanks for sharing Bob. You never know who's heart you'll touch!  Smile

Thanks for the kind sentiments roddie and they are returned to you.

Yes, I love that watercolor also, and the Cape.  How New England.  When I was transferred to Newport we looked at a new Cape very similar on the island.  Had a great view...of the local landfill, but it was being covered as we looked for eventual transformation into a park.  The place was above our budget anyway so we moved to Tiverton, a lucky break.

Elms and Chestnuts lined our street where I grew up in Raymond NH.  (BTW a 487 million dollar lottery ticket was purchased there last week at a store not to far away from our house. Single winner and NH has no state income tax.) I used to collect the chestnuts on the way to school when in season.  We knew them as "horse" chestnuts.  I wouldn't recognize Raymond either, the little town I grew up in with <900 residents now has blossomed to 10,000+.

That tree in front of the house looked like this shortly after we moved in:

A family affair House_11

A family affair Breeze10

Now looks like this:

A family affair House_10

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:18 am

MauricioB wrote:Roddie hello, I hope to convey my emotion to read your story and beginnings. That beautiful painting your house. Who made the painting? she looks great.
I hope to convey my words, because I do not handle the English and hope you can read and understand, I was born in a very small town, there was modelers and lost my father when I was 5 years old, however this model aircraft was born with me and remember I drew on real planes that flew by my people at a high altitude and then more or less drew figures and cut, tying those models that never flew with a thread and towing, so were my beginnings, alone and with a passion he was born with me.
Thank you for sharing your experiences!...Mauricio.-

I think I need a translator to convey so much emotion!

Hi Mauricio, The painting was done by a man (Mr. Bernard "Bernie" Fontaine) who worked with my Mother many years ago. He's 80+ years old now. There were very few photographs taken of the house. When I was young, my parents bought a Polaroid "Swinger" instant camera.. and took some photos over the years.. but film was expensive.. and they didn't spend money on many things that were not essential. We rented that house for over 10 years and wanted to buy it.. but when the time came, the price was too high. We had to move away and my parents bought a house on the other side of town. By that time, I was into girls, cars... and playing in bands. I didn't spend much time or have the same emotional-connection with the new house. My two younger brothers did though. They are 7 and 9 years younger than me. I am the eldest of my parent's 3 children.. and was born in 1960.

Mauricio.. I understand your writing of English very well! I enjoy reading your words. Your story above made me draw a picture of you as a young boy in my imagination. I do this whenever I read stories here of people's childhood. Sorry to hear that you lost your father so early in your life. Although most of us members here are adults now.. this hobby (especially) has roots to fond childhood memories for many of us. I am a very sentimental person with a love for old-fashioned things.. and memories of years long ago. It's this fine woven fabric of memories that makes up who I am as a person. I tend to live too much in the past.. but it was a happier place in time. This forum is one of a very few happy places for me these days.. and I am very thankful for all the help and encouragement that we give each other.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:31 am

Ruddie, I am delighted that you can understand.
I know that between Castilian and English, there are many differences in expressing words, modes and idioms, but the good thing is that emotion by feelings translate and feel the same way, at the end of the feelings do not have language.
Look, a few years remember my dad does, but I can not believe I was 4 years old and remember my father climbed a tree trying to get a helicopter that he had given me, that helicopter was powered by a buana energy application a reel, and came out fired up. It is one of the memories that I have in my memory that connect me directly to my father, so much so that I started campaigning to get a helicopter like the one my father had given me and GOD! I got it new and boxed, I attached a couple of pictures for you to see. I would have loved to enjoy a lot with my father, but that's life has these things and one must accept and make the best juice to the moments, because they are giving us strength in life.

A family affair Foto0837
A family affair Foto0838
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:38 am

This is the only gift I have of my father and still keep it, I was 4 years old, it is an aircraft sheet metal, friction! He has more than 41 years with my !. Smile
A family affair Foto0839
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:59 am

Wonderful memories/keepsakes for you Mauricio! Lucky you found the helicopter again! I remember the "friction-powered" toys from my childhood!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down