Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Smithsonian's "Air Disasters" Cox_ba12

Smithsonian's "Air Disasters" Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 3:38 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Today at 3:23 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:42 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 2:22 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 10:32 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Smithsonian's "Air Disasters" Empty
Live on Patrol

Smithsonian's "Air Disasters"

Go down

Smithsonian's "Air Disasters" Empty Smithsonian's "Air Disasters"

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:02 pm

Broadcast weekdays on the Smithsonian channel at noon and again at 6PM. I watch each day at lunch at dinner.

Almost real computer simulations, actors portraying air crew with actual participants filtered in. I have learned more about aviation from these real events in the six months I have been watching than in my previous 80+ years.

Everything from Tenerife where two 747's collided to TWA flight 800 which exploded just after leaving NY city which was shown this noontime.

Worth your time if you get the channel.

https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/videos/twa-flight-800-explodes-over-the-atlantic-near-new-york/63591
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Smithsonian's "Air Disasters" Empty Re: Smithsonian's "Air Disasters"

Post  trebor3170 Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:59 am

Watch it every day, watch it long enough though, and you start getting repeats.
trebor3170
trebor3170
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:39 am

trebor3170 wrote:Watch it every day, watch it long enough though, and you start getting repeats.

Thanks goodness, not everybody here is watching "Keeping up with the Kardashian's."  Seems funny as this forum is populated with inquisitive aviation minded people.  The focus isn't on the macabre, but on finding the cause of the accidents.

New season of Air Disasters starts September first.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  trebor3170 Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:19 pm

I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I watched anything on "network" TV. I watch Smithsonian, AHC, Motor Trend, Animal Planet, etc. I don't watch much Discovery or TLC anymore, all they seem to have is those idiot "reality shows".
trebor3170
trebor3170
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Diedrichs Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:15 pm

GOT IT, RU tired of looking at phony girls & boys W/bologna injections , W/ tattoos T&A stuff on TV ??? May as well be Alien!!!What in the world is going on?? Way past me... Guess I'm too old!!!Check out the UFO stuff, they may be here. Don't think they ever left, been here all the time..Just Say'n Very interesting TV....Who knows, maybe, maybe not, food for thought, makes you wonder... How did we get here in the first place and where are we go'in , who knows??? Let us not forget that Cox produced a flying saucer...Just Say'n , Maybe Not So Nuts , Peace Mark
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:21 am

this one is crazy

crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:58 am

crankbndr wrote:this one is crazy

A little different presentation CB but gripping and attention grabbing.

Cargo aircraft get attention on AD. Latest was when a Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicle broke loose from it's straps during take-off and slammed into the rear bulkhead leaving it's imprint on the wall and taking out two of the three hydraulic lines. Still, investigators determined that the modified 747 could continue flying. Further investigation showed that it also broke the elevator jackscrew in half sealing the airplanes fate.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:32 am

That was a difficult for me video...I am surprised there wasn't a movie.

In my Army aviation career there were a few soldier suicides by aircraft....One in a unit I was in.

And of course the crashes...I was school trained at Army Safety Center in crash investigation.

In 1991 in Saudi (Desert Storm) a UH-1 Huey I was in blew a tranny and crashed from 75 feet up (take off)
I had seen several of the UH-60 (Lawn Dart) crashesand results..... in the brief seconds it takes for 10,000+ lbs of Huey to fall 75 feet, I was in pure terror

When this FedX pilot left the cockpit I thought that the end of this flight was a ball of fire..... I literally shook for the last 6 minutes of that video

Perhaps I am not a good candidate to watch Smithsonian air disasters
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:11 pm

Probably not Fred, I just finished watching the demise of an Embraer turboprop, it's crew and passengers due to icing. They do tend to spend to much time on the agony suffered by those people on the way down. You cannot help to feel empathy.

But, from each crash much is learned to prevent it from happening again. That's the purpose of the series. Difference is, it's real not fiction.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:22 pm

I have long since lost the account and clearance but the military publishes EVERY crash, class A through D incident...loss of aircraft to loss of life- crash or not -and just plain very high repair costs due to human or mechanical errors.

Hell I been gone so long now I do not even remember the name of the publications...and I as an investigator was always a contributing author....sad how my memory is fubar

Ron Cribbs will be right along soon as I think AirForce publishes a similar report

The point is obviously for commands and crews to learn what went wrong and why and what the remedy in equipment or training is

While on average all aviation is exceptionally safe... when it is not the loss of life is high as well as lost taxpaid assets.... the one B-1 crash wiped 4 or 4 sould off the planet and over 1.6 Billion tax dollars lost
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:30 pm

Two crashes out of MIA in the last decades were cargo related. One a dimwitted ground worker broke rules and shipped oxygen canisters on a passenger flight. Caught fire and went down trying to return. I believe a female captain was flying if I remember. Another cargo shifted rearward and weight and balance made the aircraft uncontrollable shortly after rotation.
That FedEx flight is scary for sure, barrel rolls and dives from 18K feet to recover at 5K. One hell of an aircraft and pilot. Now they can't seem to disconnect an autopilot to fly the aircraft and Boeing is taking all the heat.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:29 pm

crankbndr wrote:Two crashes out of MIA in the last decades were cargo related. One a dimwitted ground worker broke rules and shipped oxygen canisters on a passenger flight. Caught fire and went down trying to return. I believe a female captain was flying if I remember. Another cargo shifted rearward and weight and balance made the aircraft uncontrollable shortly after rotation.
That FedEx flight is scary for sure, barrel rolls and dives from 18K feet to recover at 5K. One hell of an aircraft and pilot. Now they can't seem to disconnect an autopilot to fly the aircraft and Boeing is taking all the heat.

Weight and balance, the Load-Masters responsibility. An ex-military load master once an acquaintance talked about it's importance.

You may be referring to the episode I referenced. Took off from Bagram in Afghanistan with four MRAP's poorly strapped down. 8 ton's apiece the rear one broke loose. The angle of the straps is so important. The load master used the company's specs "National" I believe in setting the straps rather than Boeing's. A ninety degree strap is useless. IIRC more like thirty three degrees is optimum but it varies.

After the crash they made load masters a specialty and standardized guidelines.

UPS cargo too, converted 747. Batteries ignited in the cargo hold. Smoke in the cockpit so they donned oxygen masks. The pilots mask failed and was over-come leaving the first officer to fly the plane. Manual said to land at the nearest airport, but instead he opted to return to the airport they had left some 20 minutes away some where in the middle east, Malaysia maybe.

Crashed in an area very near a residential district.

"Somewhere in the world a Boeing 737 is taking off or landing every 3 seconds." Amazing. Cities are in the air at any one time.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Smithsonian's "Air Disasters" Empty OAC has no earthly idea

Post  fredvon4 Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:35 pm

What halting ALL air travel means

most other citizens also do not have a clue

https://www.flightradar24.com/31.21,-98.01/10

this link will blow minds

zoom OUT and get freaked out

Last edited by fredvon4 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:35 pm

Now they can't seem to disconnect an autopilot to fly the aircraft and Boeing is taking all the heat.[/quote]

Most less affluent countries have a very limited pool of skilled pilots to fill their airline seats. As a result, many pilots are hired by the airline (which is usually a government run or subsidized operation) and then trained how to fly airliners. Very frequently these pilots, at least in my almighty yet still humble opinion, lack basic flying skills. In these situations it is of incredible importance that these pilots get the best and most complete training possible for their aircraft. Sadly, they usually have generic type training. When a more advanced version of a plane comes along these pilots are usually not "more advanced" enough to take advantage of all the new features. Also, they lack the basic skills to realize that they are not as "more advanced" as their new aircraft. This leaves HUGE holes in the safety capabilities of such aircraft! I am willing to bet this is what will be the cause of the two B-737 crashes over seas. Sadly, both crashes were fatal!
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:19 pm

I agree, the pilots of those aircraft were woefully ill informed and displayed poor head-work.

But Boeing can't be absolved and in my mind bear most of the responsibility. Incomplete flight manuals, poor training, dissention in the ranks, and a poorly sorted out attitude recovery system all played a part. It has shaken my confidence in the company.

And Fred, 9/11 when all planes were grounded except some F-16's. I remember the before and after pictures.

Shanksville Pa. RIP flight 93
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:20 pm

fredvon4 wrote:What halting ALL air travel means

most other citizens also do not have a clue

https://www.flightradar24.com/31.21,-98.01/10

this link will blow minds

zoom OUT and get freaked out

Yeow! There’s a crowed airspace if I ever saw one! I have seen this before but forgot the web address. Lots of fun watching what’s going on above our heads. It seems not to track helicopters’s, but I’ll check next time AeroMed does one of it’s $5000.00 air ambulance runs over my house........
By the way, there’s some yahoo doing donuts over my neighbors to the west!

Smithsonian's "Air Disasters" E896dc10

Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:27 pm

No time any more but I used to find secret military missions with this app
Find tjnker or any other AF base start poking each icon....some are on radar but zero data.....follow

I spent two days following a B52 Butf from Tinker to Diego Garcia....
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down