Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Quickie 100) - Quickie 100 RC flight video - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Quickie 100) - Quickie 100 RC flight video - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 8:05 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 7:26 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 7:21 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Today at 6:55 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 5:36 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 3:38 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Quickie 100) - Quickie 100 RC flight video - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Quickie 100 RC flight video

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Quickie 100) - Quickie 100 RC flight video - Page 2 Empty Re: Quickie 100 RC flight video

Post  Tee Bee Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:02 am

Very well done, sir! Mine is currently making the journey around the world from Greece to Texas! Great to see the potential this thing has.
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Quickie 100) - Quickie 100 RC flight video - Page 2 Empty Re: Quickie 100 RC flight video

Post  balogh Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:20 am

Thank you for your comment! I am at your disposal with my humble experience gathered while assembling it. I have not tried it with a TeeDee020 yet and may do so later, but the 049 red postage backplate reedie with turbo head is making wonders in the plane's nose and will probably remain my preferred power plant in this perfect lil bird. Good luck building it.

Andras
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:35 am

Thanks! I'm currently leaning toward reedie .049 power. It would then be easy to tune it down with Babe Bee performance and simply swap out the engine for Killer power.
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:40 am

I agree. For the Killer only 2 of the stock mounting screws are in place and 2 others will have to be drilled and blind or glued nuts fixed. I would not recommend wood screws because that won't give the longevity of mounting with metal nuts.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:13 am

I didn't tried yet but perhaps a little fuel-proof cellulosic glue like Aerogloss on threads of wood screws work.
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:25 am

Yes Levent this is also Tasos' recommendation, but any unavoidable castor seep into the wood near the screws will soften the firewall around the thread and will lead to thread failure in my opinion. The backside of the firewall has the free space for 2mm blind nuts to match the bottom mounting hole pattern of horseshoe backplates.

Last edited by balogh on Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:55 am

I have used wood screws in the past with the oil soaking issue you mention. For many years now, I've been using plate nuts for engine mounting.
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:54 am

I really like the mounting nuts from MP Jet, they are lightweight (aluminium) and range from M2 and up:

Quickie 100) - Quickie 100 RC flight video - Page 2 Mounting-nuts-m2
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:29 pm

Andras
I use fine sandpaper and sand off the flashing from the APC props till they don't cut the skin.
Front edge and trailing edge.

Small Cox Logo
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:11 pm

Kris , Brad, thanks for your advice. When space is limited or mounting holes of different engines are too close to each other, I chop  off neighbouring parts of the flanges of those aluminum nuts that Kris refers to so that they can be placed nearer to each other.

Brad, yes I will have to soften the edges of those otherwise really efficient APC props because they often cut my fingers when I crank the spring starter.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:24 am

I'm hoping to see my Quickie next week! It seems to have stopped moving while being shipped around the world during this pandemic. Not surprising. I look forward to holding it in my grimy little hands! I just watched your flying video again and was even more inspired. Smile Flying
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:16 am

Thanks Tee Bee..I fly that bird every 2nd day or so and just get more and more satisfied with its stability  and the brute force of my beefed up turbo headed red postage stamp backplate (huhhh it is so long ....hereniafter: RPSBP) reedie.

I am also waiting for an important package from batjac he was generous to post me from Oregon 3 weeks ago and still no sign if its whereabouts.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  kazaklisglider Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:07 am

Hello,

I hope you are all doing well and still daydreaming of Cox engines firing up and models launched for another exciting flight!... Andras is surely enjoying himself regularly flying his model and shows he is a very active Cox fan!!

First some shipping notes that might interest not only Troy but also many who are waiting to receive packages:

Yes the pandemic has created many problems with the worldwide shipping schedules because most international airline routs have been severely restricted or completely canceled… at present only a few countries are still able to receive or sent packages with many items at a complete halt at customs or shipping storage facilities. I have been using ELTA Hellenic Post for a number or years sending my packages around the world… they are totally reliable and I have 100% delivery success so I have every faith Troy’s Quickie will be delivered soon.

In this case additionally to the info appearing on the tracking system, I personally phone contacted ELTA central at Athens and was informed that his package has arrived at 3 of April in the US Inward Office of Exchange so from now on it’s a matter of time (and patience!) for final delivery… it all depends on how fast it will be processed but at least it’s in US soil and that’s very positive considering the circumstances.

As of 24/3 ELTA issued a press release with countries currently able for international shipping with only Canada still available… fortunately I had shipped Troy’s package before that!

Presently I have a package containing two Quickies for a US destination and one with my 24”size A-Just Precision foam cutting bow bound for Ireland… they are both still residing in my workshop as it is not able to even commence shipping… but I anticipate these restrictions are temporary with things going slowly back to normal given enough time, we just have to patient.

Now for some pleasant notes:
Out of the ten models I produced nine have been already sold in just one month period… this logically indicates the interest in Cox vintage designs is alive and it is inspiring to receive your kind comments, I am contemplating to soon start a new project and have in mind some interesting designs.

I had a couple of enquiries to redo the Micro Cam Racer and it’s surely a beautiful and exciting design but I think the full size version intended for the TD.049/51 might be a better choice as it is easier to install equipment… also most pilots have a TD.049 and compared to the .010 it’s probably an engine somehow easier to tune for reliable runs. Will first have to try and contact with Greg Doe (one of my personal Cox model designer heroes!!!) to ask his kind permission on doing this.

Another proposal is the famous Little Toni… I also have in possession a very rare Tiger Cat which was produced in the 70,s by Ron Clem so could possibly reproduce this unique pylon racer… whatever the final choice I will do the fuse in molded epoxy/glass/carbon with wings XPS solid core completely skinned with lightweight epoxy and 25gr/sq. glass layup… contest balsa is best for tail group.

In closing will say this form the bottom of my heart: The most enjoyable aspect of all this involvement is sharing it you all of you as there is no real point in doing any project if I am just a lonely fanatic!… my goal from the start is to try and revive some of the old spark for Cox powered models… hope I contributed to some extent.

For the record I have received a lot of positive comments but also received a negative one from a modeler stating he found the description “Vintage and rare” in my Quickie 100 eBay listing very deceptive as if I was trying to manipulate and deceive people on buying this model with a false item description… he also stated I should immediately remove this description… not wanting to disturb anyone out there I just changed this to “Vintage like” as I have no real problem with description labels… it’s the essence that counts.

Wish you all the very best and please keep hoping and dreaming!!!
sunny

Regards Tasos.
kazaklisglider
kazaklisglider
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:37 am

1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:07 am

I was indeed lucky to place the order with Tasos early enough - not that I knew before the pandemic what was going to happen with international shipping...and was lucky to place the order in general, anyway..

Now I have the luxury problem only to find out why out of 2 apparently identical 190 red postage backplate COX049 engines one spins the APC 4.5 x 3.5 at near 24k on the bench and the other goes up to 20.5k or so only...same fuel, same turbo head, same as new compression, no varnish in the cylinders, NV stem airtight, crankshaft has not worn out the crankcase in either one of them etc..Rusty reminded me some No1 cylinders were made with deeper bypass ports than others..I measured the wall-to-wall distance of the bypass ports in each cylinder and found the same exact 12mm in both engines...I am puzzled..your ideas are welcome Huh...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:53 pm

Thanks for the update, Tasos. I did indeed see last night that my Quickie has reached the US and should deliver this week. Glad I jumped onboard when I did! I regret not buying that beautiful GLH you sold a while back. I had my trigger finger hovering and twitching over the BUY button on several occasions. I'm still uncertain about how I'm going to set up my Quickie 100 but am still leaning toward using a backplated reedie .049 with remote tank. That way I can easily tune the power up and down the scale from a basic detuned Surestart to a tricked out Killer Bee killer with a revvin' prop by simply bolting up a new engine. I have some good candidates lying in wait for their turn on the model.

It will be a great day when this virus has finished sweeping the land!
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:01 am

Doug's Quickie 100 with a TD .020

1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:13 am

Very nice Brad, thanks for sharing...even the 020 pulls it with authority, and I am yet to try mine with the TeeDee020...in fact the red postage stamp 190 engine I have on mine works so well, that it will remain the main option for me on this airframe.

BTW, who is Doug? Is he the owner of Willy Nillies shop? Sorry for asking...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:44 am

Yes correct, I am not sure if the plane design is tough enough to handle
the thumping of a reed .049. A few changes could sort that out. A tapered
wing version with a Cox 4x2.5 prop would step up the TD .020 version a bit.
Really a modern .020 version should be 80 sq. in. / plenty of lift and better
power ratio.  His version is actually 112 sq. in. and 6oz RTF
It is very possible to create a 4.75 -5oz RTF at 80 sq. in.
I have a 4.2oz TD .020 Nano all ply fuselage.

Small Cox Logo Thumbs Up
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:32 am

I’ve got his Quickie 100 kit and Tasos’s finely-crafted version. The WN Quickie looks to be lighter in weight but also strength. As mentioned, it could be easily beefed up as needed or desired. As you’ve seen, I’ve built/flown the WN Simple 250 and it’s holding up to the reedy .049 so far, so I suppose the Quickie would as well. I’m finishing up a Willy Nillies Q-Tee and then will turn my attention toward Tasos’s Quickie. Woohoo!
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:40 am

I think it was flying plenty fast with authurty RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2