Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Anzac Day!
by Oldenginerod Today at 5:07 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 4:34 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? - Page 2 Empty Re: Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up?

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:32 pm

Looking great Jim. Attention to detail pays. You get a greenie and a gold star.

Are you going to test fly it prior to sending it off?

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? - Page 2 Empty Re: Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up?

Post  944_Jim Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:13 pm

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? - Page 2 Img_2251
Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? - Page 2 Img_2252

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:09 am

Thought this might be a good place for a note about the up-coming "World Wide Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon" happening this October 3rd & 4th.

Any Ringmaster is eligible in this honor system event, giving participants a chance to coordinate flights with Ringmaster enthusiasts all around the globe.

Gonna start a dedicated new thread here in a moment with more info:

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? - Page 2 0_127

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? - Page 2 2020_r11
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:36 am

Thanks for the Heads-up, Kim!

I mentioned the event in this thread, or the other regarding WC's plane. I just could not find the time to, well, Find the Time.

Except for last night's steel rod bending/cutting tasks, I just could find enough energy to get any further along. Hopefully I find time to finish tonight.

More to follow after dinner.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  wingchicken Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:53 pm

That looks great, school just started for me.
wingchicken
wingchicken
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:55 pm

RSV Bob,
I though about flying it, but I believe the balance point can be established to be good and the elevator throws measured/limited.

If the model was not a well known kit, then, yes, a first flight here would be prudent. However, a fresh, new model arriving in the doorstep is extra special!

The final decision will be made once it is finished and measured. But I'm leaning towards sending it as new.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:06 pm

WC,
My kids started school this week too. Time to eat, and go play with a plane.
I hope your school start goes well considering CV-19.

More to follow in a while.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  wingchicken Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:43 pm

My school is online...
wingchicken
wingchicken
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  wingchicken Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:46 pm

Don’t know when I’ll ever Actually go back to school
wingchicken
wingchicken
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:59 pm

They will open when federal funding gets cutoff due to the officials that insist they stay closed. You will be surprised how fast they open.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wingchicken Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:36 pm

Tbh I kind of like it online
wingchicken
wingchicken
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:38 pm

Ok. I still need to make a lead-out guide, and secure a wingtip weight.

CG is confirmed at 3/4" from leading edge, and that is with a Rubber Duckie 5x3 prop.
Guys, How do s that CG sound?

I think I should be done tonight, but have errands to run now. Hopefully, I have a box about the right size. If so, I think it ships tomorrow.

Ron, you and I probably need to make final coordinations. We can do email since that has worked already.

Ciao, friends!Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? - Page 2 Img_2253

Last edited by 944_Jim on Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot the picture.)

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:02 pm

wingchicken wrote:Tbh I kind of like it online

Nah, Your 15 and on the threshold of life, you need the interaction of friends and mentors.

For your sake, and that of others like you I hope this nightmare ends soon.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:10 pm

944_Jim wrote:

CG is confirmed at 3/4" from leading edge, and that is with a Rubber Duckie 5x3 prop.
Guys, How do s that CG sound?

Jim, I don't think it's going to make a lot of difference.

Chances are he's going to fly it once, crash it and give up.  Hope I'm wrong and may be because we all here started that way.

He would be better off starting with a rubber band, come apart and put it back together again Cox PT-19 in my very humble opinion.

That said, this is a noble effort on your and Ron's part.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:23 pm

Bob, I have to say I'm not going to disagree with you. My dad was a big help to me as a kid. I would get frustrated and he would get mad at me for getting mad. Mind you nothing has changed there. But, my dad wouldn't give up. If a plane crashed, he fixed it. Or after chewing me out, he would say put it on the bench and go back to it after you thought about it. I use that method to this day. If I can't repair it, I put it aside and go back to it when I'm more level headed.

The plane shouldn't balance, it should be nose heavy and a fair amount. It will fly just fine under power but it will extremely limit maneuvering which is what you want for a new pilot. You don't want speed because to the experienced, a 1/2A plane isn't fast but for a new pilot it's unbearable. A 5x3 prop in my opinion is going to offer too much. Tip weight should be doubled of what you would normally fly with. Due to slower speeds, even if the outboard wing tip is down severely, it will offer constant line tension. It will also prevent any side gusts from blowing the plane in thus having no control.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:30 pm

All good points, Gents!

Ron, any chance you have a lower pitched prop? I only used this and th engine to check the CG.

I did include a good bit of right thrust. I think I'll park 1/2-3/4 oz of outboard tip weight on it too.Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? - Page 2 Img_2254

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:48 pm

Funny that you ask about the c of g. I just looked at the building sheets that came with my Estes Beginner Ringmaster and it does NOT show teh c of g, let alone mention it. So I cannot be of any help here. Just thought I would say it.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:50 pm

And with the above said, I have built and flown many of them back when I started, and I did not know about balance and they did all seem to fly fine. Even with all the weight I added with spray primer and paint I used to get the paint job smooth and flat showing any woodgrain!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:43 pm

Done, except for packing and drop-off. Total weight: 6.3 oz with a Babe Bee.

WC,

You will get an assembly manual based on the tear-down for shipment. All screws/nuts will be where they belong. You will need to mount the landing gear, and Ron's engine. A small flat-tip screw driver will be needed for most of the small machine screws. The two larger nylon screws will need a #1 flat-tip screwdriver.

Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? - Page 2 Img_2256
Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? - Page 2 Img_2257
Babe Bee and the baby RingMaster...who has good flight experience with this set up? - Page 2 Img_2255

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:33 pm

That turned out well Jim.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:37 pm

WC,

You have a PM in your inbox.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:31 pm

WingChicken,

Are you OK?

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:33 am

Nice Jim you and Ron are a Good Men !! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2