Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

"Forcing My Brain To Learn Things It Doesn't Want To Learn"  Herding More Electrons in the Front Yard. - Page 2 Cox_ba12

"Forcing My Brain To Learn Things It Doesn't Want To Learn"  Herding More Electrons in the Front Yard. - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 10:32 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Greenman38633 Today at 10:15 am

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 9:24 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 10:50 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 9:33 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:38 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

"Forcing My Brain To Learn Things It Doesn't Want To Learn"  Herding More Electrons in the Front Yard. - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

"Forcing My Brain To Learn Things It Doesn't Want To Learn" Herding More Electrons in the Front Yard.

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

"Forcing My Brain To Learn Things It Doesn't Want To Learn"  Herding More Electrons in the Front Yard. - Page 2 Empty Re: "Forcing My Brain To Learn Things It Doesn't Want To Learn" Herding More Electrons in the Front Yard.

Post  Levent Suberk Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:03 am

Very good flight Very Happy Detailed model, there are lights under the wings Very Happy
"Forcing My Brain To Learn Things It Doesn't Want To Learn"  Herding More Electrons in the Front Yard. - Page 2 Screen20

Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

"Forcing My Brain To Learn Things It Doesn't Want To Learn"  Herding More Electrons in the Front Yard. - Page 2 Empty Re: "Forcing My Brain To Learn Things It Doesn't Want To Learn" Herding More Electrons in the Front Yard.

Post  andrew Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:58 pm

"Forcing My Brain To Learn Things It Doesn't Want To Learn"  Herding More Electrons in the Front Yard. - Page 2 Thumbs10
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:13 am

Well it was something different and quite too , Enjoyed the ride and I see the fire truck was there just in case lol! Did you put the cameras on with Velcro for attachment ? Sure don't need much runway . cheers sunny
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:02 am

Babblings from My Facebook Page:
----------------------------------------------------------

"Draco Rules the Kitchen"

So, I'm still working my way through setting up control throws and features (such as the SUPER Cool Lighting) on this monster.  I've got six flights on it, but haven't enabled some of its stuff.

Physically, the plane is no larger than "Big Red", my Sig Kadet Senior Sport.  But it's my first foray into large electric powered planes, and I view it as a robotic blender, just waiting for me to do something out-of-step and get important parts of myself pureed in the process (note the big prop, removed from its shaft, and laying safely on the table).

The radio is also a challenge, and I'm slowly working through its programming to get all the features happily talking to each other (remember back when we turned on the transmitter, then the receiver, got everything to wiggle correctly on command, and off we went?).

My brain can have a real attitude about learning new things, and will often cross its arms and reel back like an old man in a rocking chair saying, "No!  I don't want to know about it!".

I got to play to those increasingly rare moments of lucidity, when new stuff isn't so offensive, and want quick access when those brief moments come...so...Draco now parks on my kitchen table.

But, we're almost there...between my two manuals and You Tube Tutorials (Thank God for You Tube Tutorials!)...and I'm down to memorizing the function/locations of the many switches on this porcupine-of-a-radio I'm using to control the beast.

And...don't EVEN start in on me about how easy all this is...it's difficult enough to get my moldy brain to focus without adding irritation to mix!

So, off we go to have "Fun"!

"Forcing My Brain To Learn Things It Doesn't Want To Learn"  Herding More Electrons in the Front Yard. - Page 2 _draco10

Draco cruises above Breezy Hill

"Forcing My Brain To Learn Things It Doesn't Want To Learn"  Herding More Electrons in the Front Yard. - Page 2 700_15
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:18 pm

My brain can have a real attitude about learning new things, and will often cross its arms and reel back like an old man in a rocking chair saying, "No! I don't want to know about it!".

Simpatico!
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:41 pm

Kim wrote:Babblings from My Facebook Page: [...] And...don't EVEN start in on me about how easy all this is...it's difficult enough to get my moldy brain to focus without adding irritation to mix! So, off we go to have "Fun"

Draco cruises above Breezy Hill
"Forcing My Brain To Learn Things It Doesn't Want To Learn"  Herding More Electrons in the Front Yard. - Page 2 700_15

That's a really nice looking model and appears to be a very good flyer as well. Regarding all the fancy features on the latest radios, I still prefer my older wide band 72 MHz Futaba with dual rates. It was easy to set up and work. Best was my single channel Ace R/C Pulse Commander with auxiliary sequential KRD throttle servo.

Simplicity seemed to be more fun in flying.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:51 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
Simplicity seemed to be more fun in flying.

For SURE! But after watching the video of the full-scale Draco...I HAD to have one, along with the attendant complications.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:28 pm

I understand how you feel it's a new thing sometimes it's confusing the first time me Trying to figure out a racing drone I gave up I have a dx6i controler and it's already quite complicated plus the drone ap that Which does not work wel and was almost a programmer's tool Not really made for newbies too complicated for me I remember the first time I wanted to program two servos for the eleron to have flaps seting Another thing is that it is sometimes complicated to program the esc I like the small model that connects and is ready to fly like the smal umx ultra smal plane But very equipped not exactly the same as yours but mini with plenty of function flap light and option flots Really not expensive very realistic and detailed not like the model without glass and interior They don't make model like this anymore. The draco is superb me I would find an excuse to leave it out on the table longer just to watch it lol! RC Plane Thumbs Up
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:37 pm

Great picture Kim, I'm thinking October 31st.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:51 pm

I havn't flone anything RC for 2 yrs. now...after progessing to Warbirds! It was a LONG learning curve for this old guy! Probably have to start over with s trainer!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:51 am

rsv1cox wrote:Great picture Kim, I'm thinking October 31st.  

Halloween?
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:56 am

[quote="davidll1984" The draco is superb me I would find an excuse to leave it out on the table longer just to watch it lol! RC Plane Thumbs Up [/quote]

Yeah, the biggest thing about it being on the kitchen table is my remembering it's there, and not knocking over getting a drink of water at 2:00am! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:00 am

OhBee wrote:I havn't flone anything RC for 2 yrs. now...after progessing to Warbirds! It was a LONG learning curve for this old guy! Probably have to start over with s trainer!

Well, maybe...but trainers can be a lot of fun too!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:53 am

Kim wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:Great picture Kim, I'm thinking October 31st.  

Halloween?

Yes, all you need is a full moon and a broomstick. Smile

But, I think a silhouette framed by a sunrise/sunset would be better.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:55 am

I got to touch Draco 4 days before it crashed, got to see it on downwind too Razz
Was very cool to see in person
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:06 pm

Lukemiester wrote:I got to touch Draco 4 days before it crashed, got to see it on downwind too Razz
Was very cool to see in person

I just bet it was!!!!! Wish I could have seen it in real life, but there IS another in the works!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:49 pm

Kim, that is the ugliest beautiful plane that I have ever seen.  If my flight skills were up to yours's I would own one.

Looking forward to your future flight episodes.  

The full scale was a one-off?  I did not think it was that seriously damaged.   Pilot assumed all responsibility IICRC. Glad to hear that another is on it's way.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:47 am

rsv1cox wrote:Kim, that is the ugliest beautiful plane that I have ever seen.  If my flight skills were up to yours's I would own one.

Looking forward to your future flight episodes.  

The full scale was a one-off?  I did not think it was that seriously damaged.   Pilot assumed all responsibility IICRC. Glad to hear that another is on it's way.

AGREED!  Draco definitely falls into that category, along with genetics from the Wilga, and another two of my favorites, the Fieseler "Storch", and Pilatus Porter!  

POWER TO THE FUNKY PLANES!!!!

The Draco is getting the "Prom Queen Treatment" right now as I decipher it's radio and controls (and also polish some rusty flying skills), but it'll be just one of the gang before too long.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Thu May 05, 2022 6:26 pm

A review in Model Airplane News June 2022 issue:

"Forcing My Brain To Learn Things It Doesn't Want To Learn"  Herding More Electrons in the Front Yard. - Page 2 Screen28
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:18 am

From My Facebook Page:
-----------------------------------------------

So around 4am, the alarm clock goes off, almost like an explosion, and the burning question, there in the darkness is:
"Why???"

"Oh yeah, I'm gonna have 'Fun' today"...

With all the wind and heat, and my general lazyness over the past weeks, Draco had not yet flown from the hill.  The expensive chunk of foam was starting to take on the aura of a Hangar Queen, and I just can't have that.

I wanted some more calm air flying time on the thing, AND get its flaps/elevator relationship smoothed out before I tried to "Shoot the Chute"...the approach that leads to a landing in my front yard.

The west pasture hay had just been mowed and baled, so that would give me the elbow room I want with a new, and potentially cranky airplane.  I still had to dodge the hay bales, but that didn't seem to be a big deal.  AND, early in the morning, the winds hadn't picked up, so...bring on the "fun".

The pasture grass was still a bit high, but Draco blasted out of it like it was a putting green.  The problem would be the possibility that it could grab the landing gear and put the plane on its nose on landing.  Thankfully, this didn't happen, and Draco's "firm" arrival just collected a few more weeds in its gear.

The Flap/Elevator relationship DOES need some work!  When dropping some flaps puts the plane in an uncommanded, and nearly uncontrollable loop, you got some adjusting to do.

So, Draco survives its first pasture flight, to go through some more set-up before making its first landing in the front yard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYNusBstzmI

"Forcing My Brain To Learn Things It Doesn't Want To Learn"  Herding More Electrons in the Front Yard. - Page 2 2_196
"Forcing My Brain To Learn Things It Doesn't Want To Learn"  Herding More Electrons in the Front Yard. - Page 2 102_17
"Forcing My Brain To Learn Things It Doesn't Want To Learn"  Herding More Electrons in the Front Yard. - Page 2 104_14
"Forcing My Brain To Learn Things It Doesn't Want To Learn"  Herding More Electrons in the Front Yard. - Page 2 105_17
"Forcing My Brain To Learn Things It Doesn't Want To Learn"  Herding More Electrons in the Front Yard. - Page 2 210_211

"Forcing My Brain To Learn Things It Doesn't Want To Learn"  Herding More Electrons in the Front Yard. - Page 2 108_13
"Forcing My Brain To Learn Things It Doesn't Want To Learn"  Herding More Electrons in the Front Yard. - Page 2 110_18

Last edited by Kim on Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:29 am

Good stuff Kim. The shadow on the hay bale is a winner.

Electric is no nitro but at times it reminds me of the sound the wheels make on a commercial jet when the wheels are being deployed. A pleasent sound, sounds like home.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:04 pm

Great flight report as always, Kim...I see  the Draco needs a very short runway for take-off and landing, like the real thing!!! Even if not a smooth runway but  the grassy one you are compelled to use...

Do I understand well that you need more "down" elevator with the flap on, to avoid the loop?

Thanks for just another great on board flight video
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:59 pm

balogh wrote:Great flight report as always, Kim...I see  the Draco needs a very short runway for take-off and landing, like the real thing!!! Even if not a smooth runway but  the grassy one you are compelled to use...

Do I understand well that you need more "down" elevator with the flap on, to avoid the loop?

Thanks for just another great on board flight video

Thank you Andras!
Yes, contrary to what I would have thought, applying flaps causes the plane to pitch up, with the radio automatically feeding in a percentage of negative elevator to counter it.

I've really been challenged in setting up the radio to do this...just too many options for an old mind.  There are tutorials on You Tube, which I've used a lot, but I have a tough time keeping up with the instruction, so there's a lot of replays.

I just discovered that I had bumped the elevator into the low end of dual rates, so that may have been the problem, but not sure.

One of the more disturbing things I've seen with all this electric power stuff is the use of "Throttle Cut" that neutralizes the throttle lever.  Guys will hit this switch, then reach right through the propeller arc to pick up the plane.  I will not be doing that.  These things have the power of a blender, and I'm not trusting this feature to keep me safe. For me, this is the equivalent of clicking on the Safety of a firearm, and then abandoning all muzzle discipline.
I'll be staying clear of the prop 'till the battery connector is pulled.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:32 pm

Kim I have never used a flap on a plane nor I have ever tried to blend two controls that can be activated by the flip of a switch instead of leaving me with some intervention with one of the control sticks.

So I gather that activating the flap and elevator for landing is by a switch, and there is no way you can still intervene with the elevator stick if the preset blend of the flap and elevator is not right? Is the elevator stick interlocked when the flap+elevator switch is flipped for landing?

Do you have flaperons on the plane, or separate
ailerons and flaps?

Sorry for the blunt questions.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:14 pm

Well, this is where I'm at on it...and I sure don't mind talking about it...in hopes maybe I'll come to understand some of it better, but got to point out that I barely have a handle on this stuff at this point.

The flaps are controlled by a 3-position switch:  1. Retracted, 2.  Take Off, and 3. Landing...with #3 being the deepest angle.

The flaps and elevator are large for the plane, and are not connected, as is flaperons.

The elevator basically gets its centering changed with application of the flaps, and is supposed to be totally controllable over the flaps.  Throws and ratios are completely adjustable, and is what's puzzling me, and it's probably something stupid I'm neglecting to do with the set-up.  I had the stick full-forward, but Draco climbed into a loop anyway.  I was ready, and hauled them back up and all was well.

I did notice that I'd accidentally knocked the elevator into low rate, so that had to be part of the problem.

Gonna try again tomorrow if the weather lets me.

These are the settings from the book:

"Forcing My Brain To Learn Things It Doesn't Want To Learn"  Herding More Electrons in the Front Yard. - Page 2 2022-010

And this is the tutorial I've been using to try and get it together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP8k1t68QJw&t=17s
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next