Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Building another JR SATAN - Page 3 Cox_ba12

Building another JR SATAN - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 3:38 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Today at 3:23 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:42 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 2:22 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 10:32 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Building another JR SATAN - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

Building another JR SATAN

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Building another JR SATAN - Page 3 Empty Re: Building another JR SATAN

Post  duke.johnson Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:50 pm

JPvelo wrote:Gorgeous plane, love the graffics. What do you use on the leading edge behind the cylinder?

Jim

Looks like a heat shield.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:32 am

Thanks for your comments.

duke.johnson wrote:
JPvelo wrote:Gorgeous plane, love the graffics. What do you use on the leading edge behind the cylinder?

Jim

Looks like a heat shield.

Hi Duke and Jim,

It is a heat shield. It is not shown on the Outerzone drawing but the original Carl Goldberg plan mentions it. I used a piece of thin aluminium that I've cut out of a sealing foil of an instant coffee box. It is corrugated and should therefore insulate better than a flat piece that is glued to the LE. The picture shows instant coffee of the supermarket make: the square pattern is not so pronounced. When buying NESTLE instant coffee, the aluminium foil is a bit thicker and of better quality.

Building another JR SATAN - Page 3 Plan_j10

Building another JR SATAN - Page 3 Imgp3513

Building another JR SATAN - Page 3 Imgp3512

The plane is decorated as the Yak 1, 9 and 3's from the French fighter squadron NORMANDIE-NIEMAN, founded by Gen. De Gaulle and stationed in Russia during WWII: the Russian star and the Normandy lions with a lightning Arrow.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:24 am

I like the pattern from the coffee topper, looks cool.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:52 am

Last night, I decided to try the JR Satan. I went over to my neighbour Jacques' garden. The one with the most hair,that's me!

Building another JR SATAN - Page 3 P9040013

Building another JR SATAN - Page 3 P9040014

Building another JR SATAN - Page 3 P9040015

The plane got airborne, but for a short time. It was in fact quiet unsuccessful.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GUS THE I.A. Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:55 am

Uh-oh! We don't like hearing that! Grass underfoot. Was it needed? Soft landing?
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:54 am

Hi Doug,

I'll post a thread in Flying Discussions. I have plenty of questions. Apparently I'm good in doing nr 9's. Damage was limited to a broken landing skid.

Building another JR SATAN - Page 3 P9040016

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:33 am

Still looks ok, figure 9's happen....
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:31 pm

Ouch.
Those flying wings can be tricky to launch. Did it seem to have a balance problem, or was it just pilot over-control?

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  navion34 Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:39 pm

Hi Lieven,

As Rusty, is your balance point isn't too far ? The flying wing needs to be really well balanced in the opposite situation, a flying wing is really impossible to control.

Hope this Satan will be back in the air soon.

Rémy
navion34
navion34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:48 pm

Guys, I don't know what it was. In the last picture I posted, when it is in the air, it seems that the elevator is fully up. So that's probably me doing something wrong. On the other end, from where I'm standing, I cannot see 15 meters further away, what the exact position of the elevator is. It is possible that the lines were not tight. The plane seemed not to gain speed and moved forward under a great angle. The CG is as on the drawing, although Ken once said that the model was kind a twitchy. Also, when hand launching, the lines might not have been straight. Maybe I'll try to make a "Rusty stooge"; as you pull the model out of the math, lines are under tension while starting. I'll try to make it more nose heavy. One loop and a figure 9 was the most I got out of it and it didn't go further than a 1/4 turn.

Before playing with the Satan, I tried the Blue Pants. It was also hand launched. It didn't gain speed, lines were slack and it almost hovered at 45° before making a loop - read 9- and hitting the ground. Only the prop broke.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:35 pm

The Enya is a heavy engine for the Satan. This doesn't mean that it won't work. I mentioned early on, wings until they come up to speed can be very twitchy. The launcher should have his hands over the leading edge just wrapping his fingers over it. The nose should be pointed outside the circle and in a graceful forward motion he should just open his hands. Tossing the model is going to result in a roller coaster ride. I would have to ask what size is your flying lines. Having them at 52' center of plane to center of handle is where I would start. You could always shorten a addtional foot if needed. Is your line size .015" ? What prop are you using? You may just need a smaller prop to get the rpm's up a bit which would assist in launch. I wind them up and I use smaller than suggested props. If your suggesting the plane wouldn't loop, it sounds as if it's stalling or it's just too noseheavy. Having a stooge isn't going to assist you in line tension and it could really be catastrophic until you figure out what is going on. The Jr uses a 2" bellcrank which is going to make the controls very fast which could overcontrol the elevator and cause the plane to stall. A taller control horn or a smaller handle spacing may be the solution if the controls are moving too quick.

You do have a little tip weight installed? Just to get things in the air and to increase some line tension during takeoff, tape a nickle to the wing just to try. Too much weight isn'g good either and will causes flopping and hinging on certain maneuvers. But until you sort some of the issues out, I would do the above. When the lines are installed hang the plane like a plumb bob and observe the angle of the plane to the ground. Is the nose pointed towards the ground? Is the nose level to the ground? Just another thing to think about due to the lead out guide exits which may need to be swept back slightly. I never ever go by the prints anymore. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:24 pm

Usually line tension is at a minimum right at release. A little engine offset will help greatly if you have none.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:37 pm

It's not impossible, just tricky. Instruct your hand launcher to hold it high, make sure he feels tension on the lines, and points the plane slightly UP and Out, and just lets go with no push or toss. Don't use full up or you might loop around and hit him in the butt. It's hard to control until it hist flying speed.

EDIT: Oh I didn't see there was another page of advice before I posted this. So do what Ken said.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:36 pm

Hand/stooge launches are tricky. I have some planes that fly out of the stooge beautifully and others that try and immediately loop. With the loopers I back up to maintain line tension and give full down to keep it pointed up. It's a bit of a dance until it climbs about five feet and builds enough speed to be controllable. Watch the first 30 seconds of this video to see what I'm talking about,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLP36vMP8z8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edit: both of my lil' satans have been VERY bad about looping out of the stooge. It would stand to reason that the Jr. Satan would behave similarly.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:28 am

Here's another hilarious example of a loop right out of the stooge. Matt was new yo C/L that day. Check out the wingover when he finally gets it in the air:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FzPcccyC78

That was on traveling prop day 2012. No we didn't do that flight with the TP, but that was a Mudhen built RR1.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:25 pm

RknRusty wrote:Here's another hilarious example of a loop right out of the stooge. Matt was new yo C/L that day. Check out the wingover when he finally gets it in the air:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FzPcccyC78

That was on traveling prop day 2012. No we didn't do that flight with the TP, but that was a Mudhen built RR1.
Yep, that's the loop! The Lil' Satan is a whole lotta airplane for a first timer. Surprised that the wingover didn't end straight into the ground!

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanks to all for the replies and tips. I read through it a few times to assimilate the info.

The line length is about 51 ft till the centre of the plane. I use .015 wire. At the moment, I use a 9x4 prop. It's a Master Airscrew and when I look at it now, the blades seems to be bend backwards. I have a spare Graupner prop, same size, but it's 10 grams heavier. I'll get an 8x4 and 8x6 prop to get the revs up.

The line spacing at the handle was about 3.5" -8.5cm. I can reduce that to 2.5" - 6cm. I have 15g or 1/2oz of weight in the outer wingtip. I hung the plane on the cables and the nose pointed slightly to the ground. Is it that what it should do? The CG is at 5 cm - 2" from the leading edge. I've got some engine offset. I used a plastic credit-card-thick shim.

Looking at the little videos I still have to post, I think I gave too much up both on the Satan and on the Blue pants. As both planes ended up the same way, It might be a steering fault.

Jim, Rusty, looking at your videos, I see what you mean. I had something similar, just didn't know how to handle it, I guess. It's a great job of Matt getting that Li'l Satan on the right track.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:51 pm

Don't feel bad, I don't think anyone But a 14 year old(or younger) could pull that off.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:26 pm

Lieven, a 9x4 is quite a large prop for the Enya.19 even though the instructions probably have that prop as a suggestion. The large prop is going to make needling more difficult and the plane will also turn better using the smaller prop.   I use 8x4's on my .25's on wings. I personally would even consider a wide bladed 7x6. Like a Top Flite woodie. The .19 size engines are somewhat caught between a .15 and a .25. Prop manufacturers don't really do a whole lot for these engines as their popularity was down due to larger size engines.  A APC 8x4 trimmed down to 7.5 would probably serve you far better. This would put you in 2nd gear right off of launch vs 4th gear. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:41 pm

You should be able to hand launch that thing no problem. we have even hand launched .35 size planes that wouldn't take off the grass. The best method I've used is, hold onto the outboard wing with one hand and the fuse with the other hand. Turn the plane up a little an out a little, take a step or two, then just let go. Don't push or toss it. it'll get up there.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3