Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

1/2A electric planes Cox_ba12

1/2A electric planes Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by roddie Today at 9:36 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 9:33 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Kim Today at 8:53 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Today at 8:45 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

1/2A electric planes Empty
Live on Patrol

1/2A electric planes

Go down

1/2A electric planes Empty 1/2A electric planes

Post  duke.johnson Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:20 pm

Ok, first don't kick me off the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol! 

I just want to build a 1/2A electric stunter to have around, I don't want to get away from the beloved Cox engines. Just started thinking of it again after seeing Ian's yellow plane with the 3D printer parts on it.

Anyone built a good 1/2A stunt plane with an electric set up? List your set up if you have one. Pictures would be good, also.

Plane?
Wing span?
Weight?
Motor?
ESC?
Timer?
Battery?
Length of Lines?
Did it stunt well?

Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!!
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

1/2A electric planes Empty Re: 1/2A electric planes

Post  pkrankow Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:53 pm

Pop over to Stunthanger.com (stunthangar? they use both like a joke...) There is a thread in the "getting amped up" section that might be of help.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:09 pm

Heretic!!!!

I don't even know you... lol! 

I also can't answer your question, bet Ian can though.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:43 pm

JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:12 am

pkrankow wrote:Pop over to Stunthanger.com (stunthangar? they use both like a joke...)  There is a thread in the "getting amped up" section that might be of help.

Phil
I've looked through SH's "list your set up". Thanks. I thought I'd ask here also.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:14 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Heretic!!!!

I don't even know you... lol! 

I also can't answer your question, bet Ian can though.

Come on Ron! Let's be friends, when we shake hands, mine won't be covered in castor lol! .
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:19 am

duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:38 am

1/2A electric planes Electrocharger021

My Cox Electro Charger P-51 Fireball I restored. Very carefully split the fuselage with a exacto,,careful to not break the molded alignment pins. Removed the old tech rechargable Nicad that had "greened" over. Cleaned up the solid brass wire that connected battery to motor. Pulled the motor apart and cleaned up the commutator and brush style contacts. Added a very small 2 cell 160mah lipo battery about the same weight of the Nicad. Peeled the old decals off very carefully with light heat and a exacto and had them reprinted locally. They got those spot on with the colors and everything. Added a Carbon fiber reinforce rod to the wing to the already molded-in trench in the wing. Flew it last summer finally. That little sucker leapt into the air and proceeded to cut some fast laps. Small battery gave it about the right amount of run time of just a few minutes for my waaay behind inputs,,,lol. It turned out pretty nice I think.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:08 pm

Very nicely done, Keith!

SuperDave (SD)
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:41 pm

Hey, Duke!  I guess that little electro Ringmaster whetted your appetite.  I have a couple of motors and E-Flight timers that I bought with Christmas money ready for an electric 1/2A build.  I didn't sit down and calculate my power requirements and then order the motors and batteries.   I just bought the on-sale motors at Value Hobby, and I'll build to them.  I guess I'm just cheap that way.  The selection and variety on motors is still too confusing to me.  I just look at the motor specs, the recommended props, and then ignore it all.  I'll put a couple of 5" and 6" props on the motors on a test stand with a watt meter hooked up and tach in hand, and see what works best with what I have.  I can always set the speed using the timer and get the prop RPM/thrust I want.

The Cheap Conservative Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:50 pm

Mark
Look at this thread, http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=32174.0, post #11 by Tim. Tim lives near you and flies at Delta Park sometimes. You wrote this up to help me understand electric set up sizing. I can even understand it, so you should take to it like a duck to water. Or a Canadian Goose to the soccer fields at Delta Park. lol! 

I've been wanting to build a e-stunt plane for a long while, but the two e-trainers I built increased my interest.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:47 pm

[quote="duke.johnson"]Mark
Look at this thread, http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=32174.0, post #11 by Tim. Tim lives near you and flies at Delta Park sometimes.  You wrote this up to help me understand electric set up sizing.  I can even understand it, so you should take to it like a duck to water. Or a Canadian Goose to the soccer fields at Delta Park. lol! 
quote]

Very Happy 

I read this post.  Some I agree with, some I don't.  His big GCE is that he describes battery capacity and battery voltage as linear.  It doesn't work that way.  The voltage drops off on a curve.  By his calculation, a 3S battery (11.1) discharged to 75% is ~8.3 volts.  That would be 2.76V/cell, which is bad.  The normal lowest voltage cutoff setting for most of the speed controllers I've used is 3.0 volts per cell.  Electric gurus usually recommend around a 3.2V/cell cutoff with 3.0V/cell as the absolute minimum.  I figure the best way to know good numbers for me is to hook up my watt meter, that shows watts drawn, batt voltage, and current expended, and then see what the battery voltage is at various discharge points when I run the packs I have (800 and 850mAH 3S LiPo's).  That will tell me what voltage to use when calculating:
(Voltage)(KV) = Motor RPM

His esc calculations I agree with.  For the battery, I don't know how he got the 0.6 or 0.7 watt-hours per flight. First he says you'll use 0.6 or 0.7 watt hours per flight, then says you'll need 14 watt hours for a 20 oz plane.  I assume he meant 0.7 watt-hours per ounce, which works out to 14 watt hours for a 20 oz plane.  But earlier, he said you need 11 watts per ounce.  I don't see how he correlates 11 watts/oz to 0.7 watt-hours per ounce.  So, I'll ignore that part.

The 11 watts per ounce number I've seen a couple of times reading about e-C/L planes.   The thumb rule the electric R/C guys use is 100 watts/lb for a sport model, or 6.35 watts/oz.  So, I guess 11 watts/oz is good for factoring in line drag.

The motors that I got are 140 watt motors, one 1600KV and one 1200KV.  Using the general thumbrule of 11 watts/oz, I can run up to a 12.7 ounce plane.   I'll test both motors with different props to see what numbers I get.  But, the motor specs say both motors have 15A max efficiency, and 18A max current.  So, I'll use an 18A speed controller, and set the low voltage cutoff to 3.3V/cell and see what I get for a run time.  It's easier to do an actual run to see how much current I use vs. general thumbrules.

The specifications that I really would like definitve numbers for are:
1) What size prop for a given airplane weight?  I guess I can default to the sizes usually used for IC engines for a given airplane weight.
2) What is optimum prop speed for given prop sizes?  Prop manufacturers don't seem to list the optimal speeds for their props.

Hopefully I've not side-tracked this thread or confused you more. I just figured I share what I was thinking on 1/2A e-C/L.

The Calculifying Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

1/2A electric planes Empty re1/2 a electric planes

Post  craig bernard Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:03 pm

nice restoration on cox fireball maybe they will one day become popular i think most guys like the scream of those. 049s Babe Bee 
craig bernard
craig bernard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:56 am

batjac wrote:
What is optimum prop speed for given prop sizes?  Prop manufacturers don't seem to list the optimal speeds for their props.

The Calculifying Mark

APC lists LOTS of technical info for their props... Here is a link to "maximum" rpm recommendations for different applications... which isn't necessarily "optimal" speed.. so this may/may not help with this discussion... but I was curious about the APC 4.75 x 4's that I plan to use on my Speed Contest model. According to their chart.. this prop has a max rpm of 44,750.. I doubt I'll even come close to 1/2 of that.. although "Jim" (JPvelo) might!

See also; the left hand "site navigation" column under "Engineering" and also "Downloads" for performance data. The "Online Store" tab has a propeller list.

(EDIT).. The "Downloads" tab/Performance Data... should be helpful if you're considering an APC prop for your electric model.

http://www.apcprop.com/v/html/rpm_limits.html

Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:05 pm

Mark
Don't worry about the thread. I started it and don't mind the rabbit trail, it's all part of the topic to me. The guy who wrote that up for me is an electrial engineer and flies RC and CL. He wrote that up for me to have somewhere to start. From most guys I talk to say that they figure CL a little different than RC. This was just a starting point. You'll have to tweek it a little. I used it and it worked on two planes.

To start figuring props, I was told two ways. One, look at the motor spec you are using. And two, figure on the IC motor, prop, and RPM's you would use on that plane with an IC motor, which is what I used.

The owner of my local hobby shop rattles this stuff off the top of his head and thought it was a good a starting point also.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:02 pm

I like using this to get a guide to performance

http://www.drivecalc.de/

I have all the others - Motocalc, E calc and Scorpion - plus a few that won't install properly - but this one is quite nice as a propeller to motor matching guide.

Motocalc is the most comprehensive but the tables do not have any of my preferred motors. If I enter the details of a model and get it to make suggestions - the motors aren't available in the UK.

DO NOT RELY ON THESE GUIDES> ALWAYS TEST WITH A WATT METER. I have fried three motors - yes smoke and flames through not following this advice.

The last motor I fried was on the Wizard. It had a 7 x 5 grey APC clone prop. Worked fine but a didn't like the colour so I fitted a black EMP 7 x 5. The motor burned out in seconds while I was trying to video the "Ian pull test". Unfortunately, I missed recording it - just got a blank wall!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:58 pm

Under prop the motor (slightly). You get into danger of letting the smoke out when you start pushing the limits of the motor.

OTOH if you go way under on the prop the motor is not operating in a range that has good efficiency, meaning a lot of power is used to run the motor compared to the power used to provide thrust, but it will be heavy and not at risk of burning up.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:03 am

Definitely get one of the watt's up watt meters when playing with the props and such.  Also a good way to check load on motor and controller as both are broke in/checked. You can actually watch the resistance drop as they wear in.

1/2A electric planes FinishedFantom
Was very helpful when I built my Phase 3 Fantom EDF.  The instructions were vauge to say the least,,so some battery and load testing was in order.  Matched the Thunderbird speed controller to the maximum output the EDF motor could sustain or was reccommended based on it's Kv rating.  Added in 1 extra amp,,for some emergency "military" power if needed on a flash basis,,definitely not sustained for very long.  Filled and silked this foam model with some thin Habotai silk and Minwax water based polyurethane, also added some carbon fiber strips,,for a little more integrity here and there.  Came in under 1 oz for max reccommended flying weight.  It flew very nice with impressive vertical under "extra" power. The open air scoop behind the cockpit directs air right onto the speed controller heat sink down in the fuse under a cut out hatch held on with mini magnets. Back of model was opened to allow scooped air/heat to escape.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down