Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

How's the weather? - Page 4 Cox_ba12

How's the weather? - Page 4 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Today at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Today at 6:25 pm

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by rdw777 Today at 6:11 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Today at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Today at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:47 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:48 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

How's the weather? - Page 4 Empty
Live on Patrol

How's the weather?

Page 4 of 41 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 41  Next

Go down

How's the weather? - Page 4 Empty Re: How's the weather?

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:16 pm

dckrsn wrote:Hey, Happy Australia Day Rod!
How's the weather? - Page 4 Austra12

Bob
Thanks Bob. No fear of us being snowed in on the day. It's always a great day for barbecues, Australia's national pastime. Tuesday is a public holiday, but I think there'll be plenty of people missing from work on Monday making it an extra long weekend, another national pastime.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:01 pm

Hey, Happy A Day, Rod and all of our Australian friends!
How's the weather? - Page 4 Firewo10

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:12 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:
dckrsn wrote:Hey, Happy Australia Day Rod!
How's the weather? - Page 4 Austra12

Bob
Thanks Bob.  No fear of us being snowed in on the day.  It's always a great day for barbecues, Australia's national pastime.  Tuesday is a public holiday, but I think there'll be plenty of people missing from work on Monday making it an extra long weekend, another national pastime.

That sounds like a recipe for a better work regime. I've always been an advocate of the 10hr./4-day workweek. Mon. thru Thurs.. and when production warrants it; Friday/Sat. until noon. For a blue-collar guy.. that's time + 1/2 hrs. pay over 40hrs. std. in the U.S. If you work for a busy company.. and like to work.. you can make some good dough. Having an extra 12+ hours to your weekend makes a big difference. I used to work 2nd shift for the sign company (CNC router job) and typically put in 10+ hr. shifts. I miss those days. I could open-up the shop Sunday evenings.. work til' 2 or 3 in the morning.. and go back in Monday afternoon at 4:00 p.m. By Thursday I'd have my 40 hrs. easily. I could sleep late Friday morning.. (after getting in at 3-4:00) and still be a weekend warrior! Laughing

Oh yea.. the weather.. It's averaged 24F here in N. Smithfield for the last 72 hours.. but clear. Very windy mid-days.. fairly calm at 6:00 a.m. when I go out to start the car and warm it up. (I didn't have heat most of last winter.. it's fixed now). We got about 2" of snow in two different dustings over the last ten days. That's all we've gotten thus far. It's been cold enough; that there's still some on the ground. I'd like to see the 2-4" in the current weekend forecast happen.. because I didn't use my ski-sled once last season.

How's the weather? - Page 4 1-4-1410

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QggK5bWD0_M

Those handles act as friction-brakes/steering-assists. I upgraded since the vid with cleats on the bottom to help with braking. It's a really fast sled with only 4" surface-clearance. It won't go in thick powder.. so it's best to have some kind of a packed base. Serious sledders have a tough time finding good runs. The European "rodels" made by Torggler have a higher ground-clearance.. and the rider assumes a legs-forward seated position.

Torggler rodels

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

How's the weather? - Page 4 Empty You are welcome to So. Cal. anytime

Post  happydad Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:59 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Looks like the folks on the US east coast are gonna get creamed over the next couple of day.  Lay low, hold tight & keep warm.  Turn up the heat & forget about the outside world for a few days.
Go well.  Hope you're all safe & secure.

Rod.

Rod: You are welcome to So. Cal. anytime. lol!
     Forecast is possible rains this Saturday, warm and sunny next week, .

happyierdad RC Plane               Futaba Radio Jeep

United States Australia
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:37 am

Well, today is a no fly day. A good day for straightening the bench, repairing, drinking coffee, and snow shoveling. 14" are on the ground in virtually white out conditions. The township uses tri-axle trucks with chains for their plows. This was stuck outside of my house. You know that's a sign to stay put. Truck had to back up all the way down the street. I admired his driving skills. One major consequence of living on a fairly steep hill. I'm on the high point which fairs well during the wetter spring and summer months. Appears that we have at least 10 more inches on the way and as fast as you can shovel it, the stuff comes right back. The 35-40 mph winds make it a real treat. Makes one appreciate summer. During my shoveling, I uncovered the BB-Q grill so, it loks like hamburgers and hot dogs. This elevates the moral. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:07 am

Record snow here in WV.

How's the weather? - Page 4 Snow_011

How's the weather? - Page 4 Scary_10

How's the weather? - Page 4 11_am_10

They are calling for another ten inches this afternoon.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:18 am

Ha! Bob I saw your earlier post and thought that was weird cuz up the road around the time of your photos show they had a LOT more snow

In your post you said " Come-on..that the best ya got?????" and I grinned thinking...Careful what you ask for Bob....grin
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:26 am

Ken the Grill will be just like the summer months out there cooking and singing at the song birds , Bob you should bee happy now that you have been blessed . We got a lot of Ice yesterday probably more than snow I am headed out to get the paper and mail I hope , Heck its only 2-3 " what could go wrong winds picked up a lot and my wood is running low and that an't good Doh! Hope everyone's power stays on !! getback
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:29 am

fredvon4 wrote:Ha! Bob  I saw your earlier post and thought that was weird cuz up the road around the time of your photos show they had a LOT more snow

In your post you said " Come-on..that the best ya got?????" and I grinned thinking...Careful what you ask for Bob....grin

No kidding! Shocked You got spanked Bob!! Our forecast has been upgraded since last night. No longer 2-4".. now they're talking 6-10.. but nothing yet. That's ok.. "bring it on".. I'd rather get it now, than Sunday night or early Mon. morning. Time to get the old girl out of the shed.. and stage her at the top of the driveway with tarp and bungees covering her. Haven't had to fire-her-up yet this winter. My wife has asked me twice now to go to the store before it starts snowing. If I don't go soon.. "she's" gonna get fired-up!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:04 pm

GETTING FIRED UP IS NOT GOOD ENTER WITH CAUTION hope you have gone and back by not ..... Wish you were 17 again !!!   Still just cold, windy BUT , The weather out side is frightful....... but the fire inside is SOOO delightfulllll I am due for a makeover but not at this time. getback Happy New Year
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:26 pm

How's the weather? - Page 4 Capture_zpsf7fmfzny

Goin' flyin' tomorrow. Cribbs is in town, we fooled around in the shop this evening and will be meeting the rest of the squadron at the Fort in the morning.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:52 pm

No flying for me, it's pretty bad. We just picked up another 6". We've had more as I remember the storm in 96 that left us with over 3' overnight.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:23 am

roddie wrote:
fredvon4 wrote:Ha! Bob  I saw your earlier post and thought that was weird cuz up the road around the time of your photos show they had a LOT more snow

No kidding! Shocked You got spanked Bob!! Our forecast has been upgraded since last night. No longer 2-4".. now they're talking 6-10.. but nothing yet.  That's ok.. "bring it on".. I'd rather get it now, than Sunday night or early Mon. morning. Time to get the old girl out of the shed.. and stage her at the top of the driveway with tarp and bungees covering her. Haven't had to fire-her-up yet this winter. My wife has asked me twice now to go to the store before it starts snowing. If I don't go soon.. "she's" gonna get fired-up!

Yup, a little tongue-in-cheek bravado on my part. Got more than my boots could handle. Neighbor plowed my driveway, 34" on level ground plus drifts was just to much for my little plow equipped ATV, but I did shovel out the walkway and in front of the garage doors.

Weather improves this week, kind of pretty though.

How's the weather? - Page 4 Next_m10

How's the weather? - Page 4 Next_m11

How's the weather? - Page 4 Next_m12

I remember two similar snow storms in Tiverton roddie, just not quite as much snow. Most amount of snow recorded in Virginia/West Virginia was 40.5 inches in Shepardstown about 30 miles away.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:13 am

[quote="rsv1cox"I remember two similar snow storms in Tiverton roddie, just not quite as much snow.  Most amount of snow recorded in Virginia/West Virginia was 40.5 inches in Shepardstown about 30 miles away.[/quote]

Hey Bob, how long did you live in Tiverton? I remember you mentioning living there. Did you move directly from there to WV? My wife and I moved from Woonsocket to N. Smithfield in the Spring of 2011. Hurricane Irene hit later that Summer. I shot some amazing vids of hummingbirds on a feeder outside our kitchen window. Leaves/branches flying through the air.. and these "smallest of the small" braving it for a sip of nectar!

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:27 am

As we moved about the world and within the USA as an Army Brat , later a soldier for full career, we experienced all sorts of differing winter seasons.

On the island of Formosa (Taiwan) we were cold at 65F during the winter and burned Kerosene heaters in the house making my mom super nervous about carbon monoxide

Dad got re-posted to Joliet Illinois and the first winter (1965) was one of the biggest snows in the Chicago area, or so the news said. Our place looked a lot like the snow load Bob is showing. We kids loved it except I was old enough to help shoveling and that began my deep dislike for heavy snow.

From there we moved to near where Admin (Jason) is. In this case Fridley MN and again we kids learned much more about winter living, skating, snowmobiles and Ice fishing. By now dad invested in a snow thrower and I kind of had fun with the chore using that machine

The only thing about winter I miss is the beauty of a heavy deep snow on a moon lit night with very little wind, just big giant puffy flakes and the subdued quite created----  only to be turned into nasty gray dirty slush soon re freezing each night making the roads treacherous.

As a junior soldier we (wife was a soldier too) could not call in and decide the safe thing was to stay home. Sometimes (rarely) the Fort would declare the road condition Black and issue a "delay of reporting" for "non essential personnel". Unfortunately wife and I were always "essential personnel".

Still here thirty years later so I guess our driving skills in REAL BAD weather were adequate as neither of us ever needed a wrecker, insurance agent, or ambulance as we managed to get to work and home after sending kids to whatever day care we had arranged

Last edited by fredvon4 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : speltin errer)
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:00 am

Yea.. the roads were bad here yesterday when I went out to the store. I went early.. but the storm had already started within the hour. The rate was at least an inch/hr. at the start here. It's only about 1.5 mi. round trip to the nearest store for us, but a lot can happen in a short distance when you have stupid drivers on the road. I was stupid to wait until the storm started, to run the errand.. but it was comfy and warm here at CEF.. and well.. you know how it is.

I didn't get the snow-blower out of the shed yet.. but it's currently sunny and clear. The temp is 35F.. up 8 degrees from just an hour ago. My wife and I are going out to clean it up in a bit. Maybe I can get her to make a snow angel with me?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:35 am

fredvon4 wrote:The only thing about winter I miss is the beauty of a heavy deep snow on a moon lit night with very little wind.
Aye Fred, we have 2' feet on the ground here, and there's a big moon tonight.
Should be beautiful.
How's the weather? - Page 4 Snow11

Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:13 am

It was some years later as I grew and got to personally see mother nature at work before I started appreciating some description of something in poetry or book stories

In this case a family tradition was always the reading of Clement Clarke Moore's 'Twas the night before Christmas poem

As a Lad I did not understand these lines until I witnessed the described event

"The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below"

"As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky."

Actually this poem led me to learn how to enjoy reading outloud
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:44 am

Thanks very much for that , Fred.
I'll remember those words tonight.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:40 pm

roddie wrote:[quote="rsv1cox"I remember two similar snow storms in Tiverton roddie, just not quite as much snow.  Most amount of snow recorded in Virginia/West Virginia was 40.5 inches in Shepardstown about 30 miles away.

Hey Bob, how long did you live in Tiverton? I remember you mentioning living there. Did you move directly from there to WV? My wife and I moved from Woonsocket to N. Smithfield in the Spring of 2011. Hurricane Irene hit later that Summer. I shot some amazing vids of hummingbirds on a feeder outside our kitchen window. Leaves/branches flying through the air.. and these "smallest of the small" braving it for a sip of nectar!  

[/quote]

Five years roddie, four stationed at Newport News and a year at school while the family stayed behind. Wife worked at Wingate Computing Center in Fall River while I commuted to the base in an old 63 VW Beetle.

I cleared the drifts and the last 4 inches of new snow from the driveway this morning with the ATV, Let the melting begin!!!!!

How's the weather? - Page 4 Meltin10

How's the weather? - Page 4 Meltin11

I'll check out that "Moon on the breast of the new fallen snow" tonight Fred. Ought to be clear with most of a full moon left for illumination.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:48 pm

fredvon4 wrote:It was some years later as I grew and got to personally see mother nature at work before I started appreciating some description of something in poetry or book stories

In this case a family tradition was always the reading of Clement Clarke Moore's 'Twas the night before Christmas poem

Magical words Fred. I can remember back when I was a child.. first being able to really understand them.. and living in a very rural, wooded area of town. I still look for.. and see the beauty of Winter. It helps to deal with the drudgery side of it.

Yesterday's storm started with huge flakes.. Today's early afternoon sunlight provided for some photos after the clean-up.

How's the weather? - Page 4 Dsc03114

An over-heated Roddie.. post snow-blower duty.

How's the weather? - Page 4 Dsc03115

My wife "Lynne".. don't get in her way of shoveling!

How's the weather? - Page 4 Dsc03116

The trusty "Roddie-mobile" with oil-consuming Captiva behind..  

How's the weather? - Page 4 Dsc03117

Lots of privacy here.. woods to the sides and out back. There's a trail leading out of the yard to the right of the swimming pool. It leads to a network of trails.

How's the weather? - Page 4 Dsc03118
How's the weather? - Page 4 Dsc03119
How's the weather? - Page 4 Dsc03120

Chiminea #1 to the right of a stack of used-decking to rebuild our "very-used" deck later this Spring.

How's the weather? - Page 4 Dsc03121

Chiminea #2 sitting atop rotting deck.. along with grill. Lynne shoveled-off the deck.. and made decals for my Rare Bear 2 years ago. I love her.

How's the weather? - Page 4 Dsc03122
How's the weather? - Page 4 Dsc03123

That's my story for this storm. No snow-angel making.. although I did suggest it.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

How's the weather? - Page 4 Empty 74 degrees F. and sunny

Post  happydad Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:06 pm

roddie wrote:
fredvon4 wrote:It was some years later as I grew and got to personally see mother nature at work before I started appreciating some description of something in poetry or book stories

Magical words Fred. I can remember back when I was a child.. first being able to really understand them.. and living in a very rural, wooded area of town. I still look for.. and see the beauty of Winter. It helps to deal with the drudgery side of it.

Yesterday's storm started with huge flakes.. Today's early afternoon sunlight provided for some photos after the clean-up.

Lots of privacy here.. woods to the sides and out back. There's a trail leading out of the yard to the right of the swimming pool. It leads to a network of trails.

How's the weather? - Page 4 Dsc03118

That's my story for this storm. No snow-angel making.. although I did suggest it.

Sorry guys, but it is 74 degrees and sunny here in Escondido, California. It rained last night for 2 to 3 hours, but it is all dried out and clean now.

happydad RC Plane sunny Clapping
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:47 pm

Really is amazing how many on CEF can relate to different places

In my case a number live near where I used to live, or I worked near where they now live

Jason the Admin tells stories from his place and I can relate as I lived a little north in Fridley and went to Spring lake park Jr High

Bob just now mentions living in New Port News VA and I was an instructor at Fort Eustice there for 4 years

Bob aka rsv1cox is also in a area my wife's kin folk grew up and worked and we visit every few years

Duke is in the tide water WA area and I did two tours at Fort Lewis (Tacoma) and family tree from that area

We (CEF) lost track of SuperDave before I could meet him

With a mobile society, and in my case, with family all over the USA, I can relate to many other places mentioned on CEF

Rusty in Ft Jackson area...Columbia SC is Capitol AND a college community with some of the best in the world Pizza places making each of my trips there truly memorable....better yet...traveling I ate at a lot or restaurants...college kids are much better wait staff than a small town with high schoolers living at home

I could go on and ON as a lot of members are posting from locals I am familiar with

Perhaps better in a different thread

Chimenea and decks by Roddie in Rhode Island are cool as wife and I are massive deck freaks with no less than 5 on our property each with a chimenea for cool evenings
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:07 pm

I mentioned getting some video of hummingbirds out during hurricane Irene back in August 2011. Here's the best clip..

Hummingbirds out in a storm

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

How's the weather? - Page 4 Empty And as the weather channel thread morphs...grin

Post  fredvon4 Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:34 pm

Where we are is a MAJOR migration zone for Humming Birds

arriving the end of each March...some staying, and others moving as far north as upper reaches of Canada

Wife and I (retired) spend hours drinking booze  (did I mention RETIRED) and watching the migrating birds trying to see who would be OUR guests for the next 7 months before heading south again...smart assed birds are much smarter than most humans

Re-filling feeders is all part of the weekly routine of PATIO living

I keep meaning to get back to good photography as some of the MINE, MINE,MINE,!! fights over a particular feeder are just plain comical and very entertaining especially since the "staying here" local males get super territorial about a particular feeder====
and some of them come within a inch of my nose demanding a re-fill

As amazing as the small adult Humming birds are... brand new babies are a true miracl to observe

Last edited by fredvon4 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : just to note my Google spell checker is brain dead ans see if anyone-else notices this)
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 41 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 41  Next