Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

How's the weather? - Page 5 Cox_ba12

How's the weather? - Page 5 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by rdw777 Today at 5:56 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 5:52 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

How's the weather? - Page 5 Empty
Live on Patrol

How's the weather?

Page 5 of 41 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23 ... 41  Next

Go down

How's the weather? - Page 5 Empty Re: How's the weather?

Post  RknRusty Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:23 pm

Fred, I don't expect you'll have any reason to be back in Columbia, but if somehow you ever do pass through, Please give me a call or PM. I'd love to take you out to the fort, and stop in for a rest at my neighborhood pizza shop. Today(Sunday) Ron Cribbs and I spent several hours in the beautiful 50 degree Sun burning circles with some of my buddies. Saturday night we played in my shop, then stuffed ourselves with barbeque Holley made for us, talked about all sorts of things and watched Gold Rush and NASA TV. While we were out flying today, TD Bandit from Central Georgia called to see what we were up to. I have some great friends here.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:55 am

Creatures of the forest.

How's the weather? - Page 5 Pd_02210

Took a little stroll around the property this morning, not easy walking for me or the creatures. Rabbit, deer, dog (Coyote) bird, squirrel tracks and others. This deer was having a hard time, more bounding than walking.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:49 pm

Yikes, how do they all not freeze to death? That makes my soft underbelly cold.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:57 pm

Their coat thickens in the winter and they are acclimated to the cold. Deer love cold weather and are quite active in the winter. Cold weather is good for the rutt.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:36 pm

Rusty

Thanks for the invite... not sure when we will explore that side of the world on wheels but you are in line with our typical run from Texas to WVA then down to Atlanta than back home circular, see the family, route.

I have always planned to stop near Columbia as a good end of drive day rest place. And If we do plan another trip I will coordinate with you
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

How's the weather? - Page 5 Empty Weather

Post  RK Flyer Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:59 pm

Someone asked , "How'a the Weather".

It's so bad here that I have been reduced to making 1,000 piece puzzles!....With my wife!!

RK Flyer Cold
RK Flyer
RK Flyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:43 am

Well, 2/3 the way through summer here and it's still raining.  Got about 2" in half an hour a couple of days ago.  Probably 4"-5" over the last 4-5 days.  Not that I'm complaining. Thumbs Up   Rain this time of year is great for us.  Our lawns were competely brown and in the last 5 days are back to green again.  Green grass don't burn.  Always a big worry with fires this time of year around here.
So, I'm enjoying this.  Still getting around in shorts and tee shirt.  A little humid but not uncomfortable.  Thunderstorms every day.  I love this weather.   Clapping Still warm enough that you don't mind getting a bit wet.  Not so good for flying or building, but I don't get to do much of that anyway. Shh
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:39 am

Got our first Snow / Freezing rain yesterday , started early was going to work But second thinking it $$ went anyway got there 12.30 ish . Snow kept coming with the big flakes but nothing on the roads Yet !! They were calling for 1-3 then 3-5" night . anyway bout 4;30 pm i cut out from work 20min. drive 23 miles , it had started sticking pretty good to the road by then Shocked got to the hi=way and first thing on the ramp side ways going down the ramp with the 1999 2.5 ton Suburban all over the road ,, but drawed up needed a drink for this ride ... LLLLLONG drive home slow traffic / stopped at the food kitty for some cold beer and arrived safe at 5;30 as i was driving i told self you are stupid!! i went in and may have made $50 the time i was there What? This morning looks like about 1" on the ground!! I am waiting with the Vanilla extract and sugar bowl and spoon LOL Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:18 am

No snow here, just a cold, raw day, with the sun going away and the wind picking up. Got a big mug of hot chocolate, and the shop well on the way to warming up, with the intention of getting back on the Hurricane project.

Looks like a good day to hide out on the hill...

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:37 am

The weathers been nuts!  Last Monday we had thunderstorms with wind gusts that busted 3 out of the 4 power poles bringing power to us, power was restored by Tuesday at 5:30pm.  Today, I get outa bed and winters here! How's the weather? - Page 5 44a23810
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:42 am

Coastal storm coming up from Texas and Eric's area.

Mark, 40 miles East of me got about 4 inches this morning, none here until an hour ago. A dusting so far.

How's the weather? - Page 5 Gr_00310

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:09 pm

Here's my house in the morning of Oct 26th this year:

How's the weather? - Page 5 Image21

And here are my girls after our morning walk lol!

How's the weather? - Page 5 Image20

Since that the snow has melted, and it has snowed again a few times. Right now it is raining but still some snow left as the temps stay around or below freeze.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:28 pm

Well i did cook a batch of raisin oatmeal cookies and working on a orange supreme cake still coming down sometimes harder than others ..  How's the weather? - Page 5 2017_f11
How's the weather? - Page 5 2017_f10
How's the weather? - Page 5 2017_f12
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:51 pm

Talk about extremes Affraid or WOW!
You guys are getting snow etc and California's burning.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:10 pm

Our predicted dusting and flurry mounted to 3". This is a minor snowfall for the Philadelphia area. However, this was a real wet and slippery snow. As usual the townships were unprepared, no brine was sprayed, no salt spreaders on the roads the evening before and now we have a real mess out there currently. Living in a hilly area means that unless your a skilled driver or have 4WD your not getting up the hills. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:47 pm

Here in RI it's been snowing steadily all day. The previous "winter weather advisory" was upgraded this morning to a "winter storm alert" through 7am tomorrow morning. There's about 7" accumulation so far.

Lynne and I had been invited to a family-gathering today in Plymouth, MA.. but that's a LONG drive, so we cancelled. It just doesn't make sense to take chances under these conditions.

I baked cookies like Eric did.. but mine were "Toll-House".. a double-batch (90 cookies.. Laughing ) I make em' from scratch using my trusty "Kitchen-Aid" mix-master!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:23 pm

It's been pretty mild here for the most part. Last Monday it went from 57°F raining to 27°F snowing. Coating everything with ice, the roads were hell for a few days...the rain washed the pretreated salt crap off the roads plus people forgot how to drive in it.

It's been below freezing since, 19°F right now. Cold

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:48 am

I haven't seen this in years, frost on my trucks tonneau cover!! I haven't been able to wear my flip flops all week, I got my heat set at 73 and it feels cold to me.
I must have thin blood, don't know how you do it up north. I am all stiff and my joints ache. I know i,m a PUSS!!

How's the weather? - Page 5 Dsc01610
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:01 am

crankbndr wrote:I haven't seen this in years, frost on my trucks tonneau cover!! I haven't been able to wear my flip flops all week, I got my heat set at 73 and it feels cold to me.
I must have thin blood, don't know how you do it up north. I am all stiff and my joints ache. I know i,m a PUSS!!

Nah, your just a Floridian! Smile

In 25+ years down there I only saw it snow twice. Once in Jacksonville, the other in Spring Hill. Dust, gone in a coupleof hours.

23 degrees here in WV, been down to 5 above so far this year, but I have seen it 6 below.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:59 am

For me the cold is not much of a problem, mostly just a matter of wearing the right clothes and taking care of the battery of the car. A slight PITB is the fact that many smartphones automatically shut down in certain temperature, so you can't count on them to get help should something happen while you're out. Have to keep them in the inside pocket, but if you want to take photos or use the navi, then the device can just decide to quit. Well, it does say in the back of the iPhone that it was designed in California, temperatures below 30F were probably something that no one thought about Smile

The house has seen -30F (yes, "minus" 30F Cold ) and even colder, it is OK, as it is built to take it. Nice 70-75F inside even then and the heating cost is still reasonable. Power outages are very rare as this is not a rural area and our cables are routed underground.

For me the heat is a bigger problem, especially if it is humid. I sweat like a wrestler and burn like a vampire in intense sun, have to wear 30 or 50 grade sunscreen and a hat. I don't know how anyone can function in temps like 90 to 100F and high humidity. I used to live in St Louis and in Atlanta area and the summers there were difficult for me.

On the other hand, in Finnish Sauna typical temperature range is anything from 160 to 220F, I have no problem with that but then you are naked, don't really need to do anything except every now and then pour water on the rocks on the "kiuas" (stove). And you can get out in the shower (or in the snow or in the lake or river) to cool off anytime you want lol!

Right now it is snowing again, calm, temperature around 30F, just below freeze. Tomorrow's forecast shows 10F but that's for tomorrow only, should get warmer again next week.

BTW, sunrise today was 9:38 am and Sunset will be at 3:03 pm. Days are just a brief period of dim in the middle of darkness. Can't wait for the Solstice (Dec 21st), after that the daylight begins to win again sunny
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:48 am

KariFS wrote:

BTW, sunrise today was 9:38 am and Sunset will be at 3:03 pm. Days are just a brief period of dim in the middle of darkness. Can't wait for the Solstice (Dec 21st), after that the daylight begins to win again sunny

Yes, the winter solstice, something I look forward to each year with a combination of joy and dread. Joy because the days start getting longer and dread because of the darkness. I'm a day time outdoor sunshine person evidenced by the skin cancer that grew like a garden on my follicle challenged dome of a head. Gone now thanks to the benefits of modern medicine. Guess I will have to use sun screen and a hat from now on.

The winter solstice does conjure up pleasurable images of Pagan celebrations and Stonehenge, and it ushers in Christmas and New Years family gatherings. So all in all the good outweighs the bad.

BTW Kari, I love the picture of your house, looks so warm and cozy the way it is lit and photographed. In those northern climes you really flip day and night the first day of summer.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:28 am

Gosh Kari , with me living here in NC all my live i am pretty sure i would lose what is left of my mind if the days were that short of daylight , but i am sure after being there long enough one could get use to it . Shoot that's not enough time to warm up the trees. Crank i am not a Floridian but do like the warm cause of the same reasons of pain ! The problem around here is the Humidity in the summer makes it hard to breath . I do like that shot of Kari's home in the snow darkness . Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:07 pm

Last evening, we received another 3" of snow. Another storm that snuck itself in there. Philadelphia usually doesn't start seeing snow until a little later into January. It's not that it doesn't happen, the past few years have seen little snowfall but it's been real cold. The bitter cold last year lasted for weeks at a time making you real miserable. Driving a my 2wd pickup, ( I wasn't expecting snow) I had no weight in the rear which left me essentially coming up the road at a 45 deg angle all the way home. This is the 3rd storm like this since last weekend which for as little as they've been in terms of accumulation, they've been devastating to the roads in terms of safety. Over the past few years, the news and media tends to overdo the snow reports. I have been through snowfalls here in excess of 36". If it appears as though were not going to see 10-12" the townships tend to be less proactive with the roadways. However, I would rather drive in 36" of snow vs 3" as it's much more dangerous.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:38 pm

I guess no one will sympathize for us here in Texas...........but I got to say a shift from 76F to 37F day time can make older arthritic folks like wife and I pretty miserable

Hot toddy time

Hot Buttered Rum time

Heating pad on Pop Pop chair for me

I still smoke but not in the house... so when I dash out for a quick hit and stove pipe suck on a butt the dogs look at me like I am insane,,,, but decide to follow to get in a quick pee

Married 34 years and she still HOT over 65F and me still OLD under 77F...no idea how many wall mounted mechanical thermostats we wore out.... 15 years back I just dress warm, have a heating pad, and shut the hell up

I still get jazzed with snow...at first when it is pretty and quite... but the LUSTER of MIDDAY fades fast as we humans mange to make it a nasty grey slushy mess

I do not have any fond memories of shoveling snow from Minnesota...dad eventually got a thrower but that too was a pain as he pulled and pulled on the starter while I spritzed either in the carb

Wife, kids and I did a LOT of winter snow sports in Germany on the cheap....fond memories

Thank all tax payers... we got free buss ride to world class venues, free equipment and clothing, free lift passes, free instruction, mid mountain cafes, with hot wine, schnapps, and good food...cheap

The rental equipment to down hill ski was always new and top of the line brands ---that they did a good job fitting us to

One year I competed for and won a AFRC* Garmish Ski Patrol assignment... 103 glorious days of dragging idiots off a grand mountain ( Zuigspitz) and got paid E-5 pay for it...My First Sergeant was [bleep] at me for an entire winter cuz I was one of his go to NCOs....

* Armed forces recreation centers (AFRCs) are a small chain of Joint Service Facility resorts hotels owned by the United States Department of Defense to provide rest and relaxation in the form of lodging and outdoor recreation for United States military service members, US military retirees and other authorized patrons.

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:45 pm

Bob, Eric, Thanks for the kind words. I really like this house and I feel lucky to have it.

The daylight time here really is short in the winter, and some people get moody, depressed and/or consume unhealthy amounts of alcohol. The snow helps with the darkness, as does the cold, since the colder the night is, the brighter the Moon and stars are, and the snow reflects the light so you don't really need a flashlight or anything. And the darker it is, the better you can see the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) Smile

The summer makes it all up. On the Summer Solstice the Sun rises at about 3:30 am and sets at around 11:30 pm, and the Sun is up every day for at least 18 hours from May to early August I think. It doesn't really get dark at all. Us Finns get a little crazy at summer Very Happy  Some Foreigners from South can't sleep because of the light though, they need dark blinds or eye covers. Most Finns are OK with both the darkness in the winter and the light in the summer.

When my wife and I lived in the USA the sudden and early darkness even in the summer felt weird Smile  Got surprised a couple of times in parks and trails, since in the South the Sun sets so quickly. Around here it sort of hangs at the horizon for an hour or two before setting, in the South it was like flicking a light switch, dark in a few minutes Smile

The warm, dark and humid nights that sometimes occur here in August still remind us of the warm candle-lit summer nights in Missouri and Georgia Smile
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 41 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23 ... 41  Next