Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

FOR SALE: BRAND NEW, ORIGINALLY BOXED VECO .19 ENGINE - Page 2 Cox_ba12

FOR SALE: BRAND NEW, ORIGINALLY BOXED VECO .19 ENGINE - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 5:02 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 3:38 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:42 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 2:22 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 10:32 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

FOR SALE: BRAND NEW, ORIGINALLY BOXED VECO .19 ENGINE - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

FOR SALE: BRAND NEW, ORIGINALLY BOXED VECO .19 ENGINE

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

FOR SALE: BRAND NEW, ORIGINALLY BOXED VECO .19 ENGINE - Page 2 Empty Re: FOR SALE: BRAND NEW, ORIGINALLY BOXED VECO .19 ENGINE

Post  nitroairplane Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:25 pm

I really did not want to comment on this originally because I did not see any problems with it as many companies varies their designs.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

FOR SALE: BRAND NEW, ORIGINALLY BOXED VECO .19 ENGINE - Page 2 Empty Re: FOR SALE: BRAND NEW, ORIGINALLY BOXED VECO .19 ENGINE

Post  Ivanhoe Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:09 pm

tabled wrote:Hi All,

A reaction from me seems to be in its place. Last night, after an email conversation with Dave, i removed the cilinder head and find out everything was in it's place as it should be... As discussed above, some Veco .19 engines does have a cilinder head turned sideways. Maybe the ones only used for cars or something?

Just to make you all guys over here I am not fu...ng around with an re-assembled engine or so..... As I said earlier.... this engine is new !!

To approve: here is picture of the inside engine:
FOR SALE: BRAND NEW, ORIGINALLY BOXED VECO .19 ENGINE - Page 2 Imag0013

Please leave your comments about this...

Regards,

Ed

I rest my case, as in my earlier post stating that I once had an engine with the head apparently on "Sideways" but which was correct. I've even remembered what it was, an early Enya 29 (not a US engine as I first thought)

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:32 pm

http://www.mecoa.com/kb/aero/controlline.htm

I invite you to scroll down to the Veco .19 and check the alignment of the cylinder head cooling fins running paralell to the crankshaft.

Ed's engine shows them running perpendicular to the crankshaft.

The only way this would be possible is if the engine wasn't assembled properly either by Veco or someone who knew nothing about what they were doing. If it were intend for car useage it would be indicated on the orginal box shown.

While I no longer to wish buy this engine I'd like to help Ed solve the problem.

SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:55 pm

[quote="SuperDave"]Mark:

Can you name a "two stroker" that DOESN'T have baffled piston top?

I just saw this post and somebody beat me to the most obvious example, but I'd like to add...How about almost every late model two stroke engine currently on the market? Check any O.S. made in the last twenty years for a piston baffle.

The second photo is a RaCar made in the early 70's, I believe Hollywood, CA

Merry Christmas
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:16 pm

Oh yeah i just checked my Toki .05 and it has none as well Razz
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:32 pm

Interesting that Ed's picture of the cylinder head shows a whte object placed in the grove for the piston baffle. Why?

And the mystery continies...........................................

Inspector Cleuseau

Last edited by SuperDave on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:34 pm

SuperDave wrote:Interesting tha Ed's picture of the cylinder head shows a whte object placed in the grove for the piston baffle. Why?

And the mystery continies...........................................

That looks to be a the effect that the flash on shiny objects.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:48 pm

Indra:

I'm thinking not. It does not appear to be what you state. Look VERY closely then get back to us.

Inspector Cleuseau aka: SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:52 pm

SuperDave wrote:http://www.mecoa.com/kb/aero/controlline.htm

I invite you to scroll down to the Veco .19 and check the alignment of the cylinder head cooling fins running paralell to the crankshaft.

Ed's engine shows them running perpendicular to the crankshaft.

The only way this would be possible is if the engine wasn't assembled properly either by Veco or someone who knew nothing about what they were doing. If it were intend for car useage it would be indicated on the orginal box shown.

While I no longer to wish buy this engine I'd like to help Ed solve the problem.

The only way the engine could be "Not assembled properly" would be to have the hole for the gudgeon pin ("Wristpin") bored through the piston at 90 deg to it's normal position, and that the head casting mould somehow had it's bottom section rotated 90 deg to the top half! Can you imagine a situation where either or both of these could occur, either during production, or somehow be done later by a previous owner? I certainly can't!
Oh, and the "white object" is an effect of the flash, if you look closely (and I mean blow it up BIG) each bolthole has a white reflection in it too.
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:07 pm

SuperDave wrote:Indra:

I'm thinking not. It does not appear to be what you state. Look VERY closely then get back to us.

Inspector Cleuseau aka: SD

Is this you? http://coxengineforum.forumakers.com/u164
Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:25 pm

The Inspector is out celelebrating Christmas eve. Try again later.

""The Pink Panther" Santa
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:16 pm

Re: Veco 19

I betcha if the piston were rotated 180 degrees it would fit into the cylinder head with the cooling fins paralell with the crankshaft?

Any takers?

Inspector Cleuseau (aka: SD)
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:41 pm

Page 231 from Mr. Dannel's Book: Item 43---VECO 19 Series R/C 72SM ("Sideways Mounting" possibly ?)- July 1972 - .1998 in2.

"As #39 but head fins run across the cylinder. Race Car Engine."

FOR SALE: BRAND NEW, ORIGINALLY BOXED VECO .19 ENGINE - Page 2 Veco10

Ed...your engine was assembled correctly and IS legitimate.

Kim

Last edited by Kim on Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:00 pm

Solved,,good work Kim!. Such a small head for a car motor,,but hey,,back in the day that's what was available. Would have never thought (and admittedly didn't think) it was a car head.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:30 pm

Also note that it has a Perry Carb. All of mine are earlier versions with either the Veco carb or the Veco venturi. The Veco .19 was a highly regarded car engine, especially if reworked, until the Schnuerle K&B 3.5cc ABC appeared, which blew the doors off the Veco in stock form. From there on, other companies improved and the old Veco .19 got left in the dust. I still have an old car with a reworked Veco .19, may it R.I.P.
BTW, years ago I ALMOST bought one of those sideways fin models for AC use from a LHS until I noticed that it was the car version.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:37 pm

Thanks PV !

A second entry on the next page notes that the engines following Ed's .19 were

"modified to fit the then-new international 3.5cc size classification. This was done by a slight increase in crank-shaft stroke. The '.19' was ground off of the bypass and '.21' stamped in it's place. Usual car setup was with the head fins running crossways, and the throttle arm on the Perry carburetor on the right side."

This also explains the Perry Carb on Ed's .19 as the models were carried "until around 1978 when they were discontinued."
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:31 pm

With this new information I'll accept the fact that the cylinder head on Ed's engine IS installed correctly. Had I known this was a specialty engine the issue would not have arisen. It was not advertised as such so I believed it to be a standard VECO 19 with a rotary value. The orgininal box shown has no indication either.

I apologize to Ed and CECF for generating what has become a lengthy discussion. Thanks to those did the definitive research that brought this mystery to a satifactory conclusion. Ed now knows that he has a specialty engine with a Perry carburetor most likely indended for a car and if the engine is to be sold that it should be advertised as such.

I see no deception on Ed's part because he has little knowledge of model engines. I have apologized twice in one day here and this will weigh heavilly upon me for quite some time. I believe everything that has occured was of honorable intent and I am grateful that no one was harmed or slandered.

Not so SuperDave
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  tabled Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:41 am

To All,

Many thanks for all your help to solve this mistery... Many thanks to Kim who finally find out that this engine was installed correctly.

To Dave, thanks for all your mails, i learned a lot from you!!

Apart from all this..... the engine is still for sale Smile

Regards,

Ed
tabled
tabled
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:59 am

SuperDave wrote:With this new information I'll accept the fact that the cylinder head on Ed's engine IS installed correctly. Had I known this was a specialty engine the issue would not have arisen. It was not advertised as such so I believed it to be a standard VECO 19 with a rotary value. The orgininal box shown has no indication either.

I apologize to Ed and CECF for generating what has become a lengthy discussion. Thanks to those did the definitive research that brought this mystery to a satifactory conclusion. Ed now knows that he has a specialty engine with a Perry carburetor most likely indended for a car and if the engine is to be sold that it should be advertised as such.

I see no deception on Ed's part because he has little knowledge of model engines. I have apologized twice in one day here and this will weigh heavilly upon me for quite some time. I believe everything that has occured was of honorable intent and I am grateful that no one was harmed or slandered.

Not so SuperDave

Dave this is good.
You generated discussion and without discussion no forum would be fun and there were no flames or mindless insults and swearing trust me I have seen that on other forums!
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:19 am

Just for interest, my Enya with crosswise head was used by me in aircraft for a number of years, never noticed any difference in it from the norm.

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:55 am

I figure that it'd STILL work just fine for sport use...AND give the new owner an excuse to fabricate a Really Cool Air Duct/Scoop !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:56 am

Like this!
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:09 am

Indra:

Thank you for your kind words. Feeling pretty humble this morning.

Please read this sent to Ed this morning:

Ed:

Hope you read and will accept my apology that is posted on the forum.

It is now certain that your Veco is intend for a purpose other than aircraft, most likely a model car. I hope that you understand why the confusion occurred. The specialized nature of the engine only increases it's value to a buyer.

May I suggest to you that you advertise on a forum dedicated RC model cars where you are more likely to find a buyer?

I harbor no resentment against you and I hope that you will bear no grudge toward me. We both learned something.

Enjoy your Christmas day.

Dave

SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:14 am

Every one should feel good this morning even if you do not "believe" it is a day to celebrate and be happy.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:25 am

You do all realise that we are on this forum on CHRISTMAS DAY! How sad are we??

lol! lol! Santa
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next