Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 1:04 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:44 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Mosquito, finished

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Empty slight hijack

Post  fredvon4 Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:41 am

And in case you guys missed it ----County Line Models Bob Jablonski is bailing out and retiring
His site has reduced prices

http://www.countylinehobbies.com/u-control-kits.html

But he does not have the BH mossy

From other forums, the new Black Hawk owners are not too responsive, but some folks have had success ---eventually

On new site this is the BH Mosquito page for an order

http://blackhawkmodels.com/products/de-havilland-mosquito
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Empty Re: Mosquito, finished

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:19 pm

fredvon4 wrote:

Interesting observation- the completed Mosquito in this picture appears to have Gilbert engines attached, although the pictures are not clear.  The port engine appears to have the large Gilbert spring starter, hence identifying it as a Gilbert.  The starboard engine doesn't have a starter from what I can see.  If you only had one heavier engine, wouldn't it make more sense having it outboard? Huh...
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:17 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Decals and fuel lines on.  Controls set, I used Rusty's heat shrink method to secure the lines, unnecessary in this case but I think it looks cool.  
Hey, if you can't be cool, what good ar ya! The shrink tube might help keep them from getting hung up.
You know, just two simple passes through the crimp is the FAA approved method, so I'd say you're good to go. Do a 10g pull test before flying. And be sure and check your lateral CG hanging it from the leadouts. Between now and maiden day, do some dry flying inside the house.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:27 pm

RknRusty wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:Decals and fuel lines on.  Controls set, I used Rusty's heat shrink method to secure the lines, unnecessary in this case but I think it looks cool.  
Hey, if you can't be cool, what good ar ya! The shrink tube might help keep them from getting hung up.
You know, just two simple passes through the crimp is the FAA approved method, so I'd say you're good to go. Do a 10g pull test before flying. And be sure and check your lateral CG hanging it from the leadouts. Between now and maiden day, do some dry flying inside the house.

A coincidence Rusty, I did that yesterday after I took it off the balance pylons.  I hung it by the control lines like you  said and it hung slightly nose-down with the bell-crank in the neutral position which I guess is a good thing.  So thankfully the position of the lead-out guide on the plans was correct while the holes in the nacelles were not.  Good thing I checked that.  

Yup, those lines are not coming loose, but as on any new plane I do a pull test with my fishermans De-lier.  I have probably used it on more planes than fish.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:58 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:
fredvon4 wrote:

Interesting observation- the completed Mosquito in this picture appears to have Gilbert engines attached, although the pictures are not clear.  The port engine appears to have the large Gilbert spring starter, hence identifying it as a Gilbert.  The starboard engine doesn't have a starter from what I can see.  If you only had one heavier engine, wouldn't it make more sense having it outboard? Huh...

The new owners kept the copy/media from Mr. Larry Rice's ownership. It is all "recycled," except for presentation. I asked them if they could provide bigger pictures...But they never.answered. Mr Rice, on the other hand, provided some guidance even after the change of ownership.
I would hang the heaviest engine outboard, unless it was significantly bigger/stronger than the lighter engine. Weight to the outside, power to the inside!
I have read that multis run "unbalanced" fine-as long as the imbalance either favors inboard via horsepower, or through really big rudder offset.
And I'll admit up front...My own Mossie is my first twin...So what do I know? Not too much! But I'm having fun experimenting!

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:46 am

My Golden Bee/Blackwidow powered P-38 was a pleasure to fly, not really fun as stunts were out of the question. But powering up those Bee's and sync-ing them was an experience. My first and to date only flyable twin.

I was watching a youtube video where the flyer used a tach to sync his engines.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:57 am

Bob,
ISTR you mentioned picking up a DPC P-38 in one of the other threads.

Have you started it yet?

rsv1cox wrote:My Golden Bee/Blackwidow powered P-38 was a pleasure to fly, not really fun as stunts were out of the question.  But powering up those Bee's and sync-ing them was an experience.  My first and to date only flyable twin.

944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:29 pm

944_Jim wrote:Bob,
ISTR you mentioned picking up a DPC P-38 in one of the other threads.

Have you started it yet?

rsv1cox wrote:My Golden Bee/Blackwidow powered P-38 was a pleasure to fly, not really fun as stunts were out of the question.  But powering up those Bee's and sync-ing them was an experience.  My first and to date only flyable twin.

Yes, got it a week ago, but can't make up my mind if or when I want to build it.  If I build another before summer it will be one of these three.

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Models10

But I still have this one to finish...

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Models17

and this one to repair......

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Models13

and I want to fly all of these before I build another.........

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Models14

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Models12

[url=https://servimg.com/view/19152833/1601]Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Models11[

Plus many more that are out of sight.  So you see my problem.  Why build another plane when I have all of these already built.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:02 pm

Bob,

I wish I could get out your way and help you fly those things. How close are you to an AF base? Langley AFB?

Anyway, doesn't matter, what use are un-assembled kits?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:12 pm

I feel your pain Robert.. Laughing Those are some cool models! Good Lord.. I have some that need attention too. An afternoon's work.. (if that..) would probably repair (or finish....) any one of mine. My unfinished ones eat at me the most.

If I were you........ I'd pick-out one of your models that you're "least-attached" to.. throw an engine on it and fly it tomorrow! Laughing Easier said than done.. I know. I'm very attached to everything I've ever built.. or started to build. Chances are; you'll have a blast.. no matter how it turns out!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:06 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Bob,

I wish I could get out your way and help you fly those things. How close are you to an AF base? Langley AFB?

Anyway, doesn't matter, what use are un-assembled kits?

I have been close to Navy and Air Force Bases all my life Ron, from Pensacola in 1956 waaay before you were born, to MacDill AFB in Tampa as recently as five years ago. But now I'm way out in the sticks with nary a uniform in sight. However there is a Dollar General about seven miles away if you ever work on their systems. Smile

I self-motivated myself with that picture above of the unfinished Corsair. Brought it down to the dining room table, moved the Mosquito and started on it again. The previous owner had it set up for electric power so I had to modify for fuel and bearers. Hard work done now, I just mounted the engine and aileron servos. Now to finish the balsa repairs and sheet the wings.

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Corsai10

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Corsai12

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Corsai11

roddie, just lay those unfinished models out on the dining room table, lot's of room and warm. Stimulates the - go get it's. Smile

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:08 am

Good Lord you have a plenty of planes there Bob, I can see a lot of FUN for you in 2017!! RC Plane I Love This Forum!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:30 am

With the Mosquito finished I started once again on this Sterling F4U-1 Corsair that's been in the works for a year or two.  But I'm well on the way now with the radio, engine, controls, and fuel tank installed.  

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Corsai13

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Corsai14

The "clown" canopy still bugs me but it allowed me to dig deep into the balsa block and hide the receiver in there.  Good thing as the available fuselage area is tight. This model was started probably years ago by someone and found at a consignment shop. There were lot's of built-in errors to correct and patching to do.

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Corsai15

I have enough sheet balsa to plank the wing but I'm going with insignia blue monokote instead.  Easier, less weight and I will have better access to those aileron servos should one go south. Probably will use spray Lustrekote on the fuselage and tail.  Power is an OS .20, probably minimum for this model, but plenty for the type of flying that I do.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:08 am

Looks good Bob, with that engine will be a hot performer.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:49 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Looks good Bob, with that engine will be a hot performer.

Thanks George, I was hoping for a dog. Smile  I haven't flown RC since Florida some 12/15 years ago and have probably lost any skill that I had.  Might have to put the Fledgling in the air first.

All done now except for sand/seal/prime/paint and monokote on the wings.

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Corsai16

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Corsai17

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:57 am

Bob, that spun aluminum cowl is a real prized beauty. I remember as a child that having such was a selling point of Sterling kits. Then sometime toward the nearing of Sterling's demise, they began substituting those cowls with inferior sheet plastic vacuum moulded ones.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:23 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Bob, that spun aluminum cowl is a real prized beauty. I remember as a child that having such was a selling point of Sterling kits. Then sometime toward the nearing of Sterling's demise, they began substituting those cowls with inferior sheet plastic vacuum moulded ones.

That's right George. My dad had built a Sterling Waco Cabin in the 1960's, that had an aluminum cowling. It was beige w/red trim that matched the red-head of the McCoy .19 installed. Fast-forward to the late 1980's; he bought and built a Sterling Mono-coupe that has the plastic cowling.

I wish I had photos of the Waco.. but the Mono-coupe is now in my possession. It needs a little TLC though. It has an OS FP .25 that has never seen a drop of fuel.

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Sterli10

I like that Corsair Bob! My brother found an old (1978 vintage) Top-Flite RC kit and picked it up for me a few years ago. Unfortunately.. the cowling is missing from the kit.  Sad  It looks to be otherwise complete.. but I'm not sure.

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Dsc02811
Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Dsc02810

I don't have an engine that's big enough for it.. but maybe it would be a good candidate for a brushless/electric motor?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:38 pm

What does "Spun" aluminum mean, is it cut from a pipe or a billet on a lathe?
Wayne has a huge Super Connie kit with spun aluminum cowls.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:49 pm

Rusty, metal spinning is a process where you form a cylindrical piece from a flat disc by not removing material but by forming the metal... Hard to explain but here's a video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L29FMj1GniQ

EDIT: this is an interesting process, and actually one that could be done in a well-equipped home shop. A sturdy wood lathe would be a good tool to first make the plug out of plywood discs or a hard block of wood, and then use the plug to form the aluminum.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:38 pm

I can tell you first hand that spinning aluminum is not easy and it's dangerous. I have made a few cowls myself. You need to start with a hardwood form first. My buddy Dan made a fixture to adapt to the tool rest on the lathe where two handles are used. One handle has a slit in it and while the flat disc is spinning, the slit in the one tool holds the edge which allows you to bend the aluminum while spinning. The second tool is pivoted between to dowels on the fixture which you apply LOTS of pressure to as your folding the aluminum over. The problem is that while it begins to form, it also wrinkles. Eventually the wrinkles tear and the piece explodes. It took a long time to figure out the problems. The main problem is that you have to purchase a non-heat treated aluminum that has no strain. As the aluminum folds, you have to work fast. The material is hardening and if you stop, it doesn't conform to the form on the mandrel but rather causes a speed bump in it. My friend Dan is responsible for making many of the cowls for Walter Umland kits. http://www.builtrightflyright.com/
The Galloping Comedian is one kit he made a lot of cowlings. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:18 pm

I just remembered this picture of me taken just last year Smile and shamefully posted here again.  

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Corsai18

Guess I will have to paint 320 on the nose and distress the model a bit to match. I actually started that puppy.

Square that hat sailor.  Norman Oklahoma, July 1956.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:36 pm

Cool photo Bob! Cripes.. I was four years in the making in 56... My dad was pitching for Cleveland Indians AAA league in Daytona back then. I probably ruined that plan... Laughing
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:56 am

The first of the spinners for the Mosquito arrived, the plastic ones are now in customs in NY.

These are very nice, light and well made.  But the adapters do not fit the prop shaft on my Enya .09's, worse they do not fit on any of my Enyas.  I asked for 5mm's and didn't get them.

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Enya_o10

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Enya_o11

Little matter, I consider them to large for this model anyway.  1 1/4" would be much better but I can only find them for electrics.

Those spun aluminum cowls are really nice and easy to work with.  I had to drill eight holes in the Corsairs cowl, the main one for the cylinder head.  I just drew a circle outline on a pine 2X4 and used a band saw to cut it out then used it to back a hole saw for the cut. Same procedure for the other holes.  

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Nie_en11

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Nie_en10

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:37 pm

2nd crop of spinners arrived. At 1.5" still to large for the .09 Enyas and will not fit my OS .20 as the backplate is too thick for the short shaft.  Lower pitch props may fit better. They do fit my .19's and .29's but not well.  Looks like the Mosquito will go spinner less.

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Spinne12

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Spinne14

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Spinne13

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:44 pm

Yes, I see that the thicker hub of the vintage Top Flite wide blade props coupled with the thickness of the spinner backplate doesn't give much room for the prop nut to properly thread on the shaft. I suspect a similar problem with the Sterling 36" P-38 profile, too. Photos on the box show it as being spinnerless. Of course on this model, it would be as a spinner nut versus a hub enclosing spinner.

Mosquito, finished - Page 2 Sterli10
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next