Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

2018 to 2019 CEF Run What YA Brung UNLIMITED speed contes (CLOSED) - Page 9 Cox_ba12

2018 to 2019 CEF Run What YA Brung UNLIMITED speed contes (CLOSED) - Page 9 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 10:11 am

» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 8:04 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

2018 to 2019 CEF Run What YA Brung UNLIMITED speed contes (CLOSED) - Page 9 Empty
Live on Patrol

2018 to 2019 CEF Run What YA Brung UNLIMITED speed contes (CLOSED)

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Help! Re: 2018 to 2019 CEF Run What YA Brung UNLIMITED speed contes (CLOSED)

Post  1/2A Nut Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:53 am

Bumpro doo~
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:59 pm

So,

I haven’t forgotten. I will be messaging aspeed this evening to crunch numbers. There are a couple other aspects of this contest that need attention and I am not sure if enough pictures were provided to proceed. If you guys that entered see this, please post a picture or two of your entry.

Thanks,

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:28 pm

GUS THE I.A. wrote:Have the finishing places been determined?
My JATO attempt has not occurred, yet.
Thanks!

No, but the entries are closed. Feel free to start a new thread detailing your exploits!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:38 pm

1/2A Nut wrote:Following along for fun -
Unofficial averages for 1/2 mile runs / not best lap time:

Ken 10 laps / 42' lines Tee Dee
1799.28 ÷ 24 seconds = 71.97 mph

Shawn 12 laps / 35' lines Reed
1799.28 ÷ 29.8 seconds = 60.38 mph
Reference laps Per vid time readings was taken from laps starting at 17 seconds to 47 seconds
Used for actual lap time: 8 digit digital stop watch

Alan 13.125 laps / 32' lines Reed
1799.28 ÷ 28.5 seconds = 63.133 mph

Alan 10 laps / 42' lines Tee Dee
1799.28 ÷ 26.2 seconds = 68.7 mph (5 laps x 2)

Gus / Doug 13.125 laps / 32' lines Reed *time started after 1st lap.
1799.28 ÷ 33.2 seconds = average up to 54.2 mph

Per Alan est.:
42' lines / Tee Dee
"Gus / Doug at 19.68 for 5 laps. Works out to 45.68 mph"
   I find these results pretty good.  I would add Jim Carter's time to be 26.32 sec. @ 68.32 mph and I guess Getback's 28.16 sec. at 63.85 mph back a few years ago. I did not get a time on Roddies, but it was pretty.

Last edited by aspeed on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:02 pm

For interest's sake I got a few single lap times/speeds that mostly were within 1 mph of the average over the ten lap times. Getback being maybe the most difference. at 62.2 mph and 66.85 on some random laps. The TD with Ken's times some random ones later on were 70.79 and 66.6 mph, so it was burning down a bit I guess. I think Jim's would have some great times if he just had it a bit more level. The average was 2.63 seconds, but I got a few that were over 2.7 when they were high. Maybe it was the changing of height or the extra drag of the elevator being up? Just guessing. Maybe next year.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:02 pm

Thank you Alan I stopped posting results after Ron announced you would provide the results.
Congratulations to the apparent 2 high speed winners Ken / TD and Alan / Reed (of this portion of the contest). Cool
Down to build logs and photos eh wut chaps?

Per page 1:  Old Bugger
* Voting:
TOP MPH calculated from 32 (REED) or 42 (FISE) foot lines is 80% of the total
Build and testing documentation is 10% of the total
Execution, complexity, originality, uniqueness, fit n finish, 10%

* Bonus Points....By popular vote the best build and testing documentation.

Small Cox Logo  RC Plane  Popcorn
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:40 pm

OK have not seen this topic get any action in a week or so

Today I tried ...after the hour long post about Black Widows..to slogg through every page and catch up

Hard to do for me right now as still only half a brain ( like I can every claim full use of all of it...grin) working and for some reason an very annoying eye "floater" screwing with my vision.... I am sure you all been there....even closing the offending eye has the floater highlighted...grrrr

So I think Ron  and I need a good recap of all the entrants...we should probably discuss what is a fair voting method...as I re read my initial proposal it occurred to me I suggested too much subjective crap of folks that want to compete in the rules and wine buy being the best and not some arbitrary beauty contest or popularity

That said I cannot really tell exactly how many participated...

I would like to pay out the winners and put this failed experiment behind me.... and you guys that participated YOU BETTER NOT think this is aimed at you  DAMMIT!  you all deserve a  Beer Cheers

Old Bugger
I Love This Forum!
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Help! My documentation for RWYB...

Post  GUS THE I.A. Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:15 pm

The build log and such, of how my airplane was constructed, is posted around here, somewhere. I will highlight it again, if necessary. I was able to use the same plane for both engine classes. And JEEPERS, my TD engine time and speed is slower than my airplane's REED VALVE time and speed. Crazy.

Thank you for your consideration!
GUS.
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:28 pm

Ok! Headed back home tomorrow! Get the stuff in! Some we have some not. If you are a not please submit!

If we don’t all the stuff I guess we just go off of speed only.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:19 am

I built my plane a few years back with several others. Early on, due to wheel rules and gear rules, I was never able to use my planes to compete. I have more than enough planes and I don't need to build anymore so I sat the prior contests out. Now we had a event with a simple purpose which was anything goes. Nothing fancy here, just a stock TD and 25% nitro. It's a clean design with the entire fuse being plywood on the outboard side. Wing is carved from 1/4" bass with a bass elevator and ply stabilizer. 1/4" maple beams run back to high point of wing.

2018 to 2019 CEF Run What YA Brung UNLIMITED speed contes (CLOSED) - Page 9 Dscn2844

Fred, I can't make heads or tails of your post. I don't know what your trying to convey. Maybe because I may have missed something here as I haven't been able to focus on the computer over the past few weeks. When you say you offered too much suggestion, this is what has me puzzled. If I understood this correctly, the only suggestions were two size line lengths for two different engines and go as fast as you can go.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:04 am

Sorry Ken my focus is terrible and as you know I never could write a coherent string of words

Below is from first post. As I read this the Voting sound very subjective and the tone of some of the contestants focused (rightly so) on being the fastest time....I can see hurt feelings for a contestant that was fastest but lost in the beauty contest....hope that makes sense

Point is to have fun, prove we at CEF really are the gentlemen we already demonstrate every day and perhaps entice some RCG RCU Stunthanger to be new members and participate

* Voting:
TOP MPH calculated from 32 (REED) or 42 (FISE) foot lines is 80% of the total
Build and testing documentation is 10% of the total
Execution, complexity, originality, uniqueness, fit n finish, 10%

* Bonus Points....By popular vote the best build and testing documentation On CEF will receive a $50 CoxInternational Or ExModelengins gift certificate...winners choice...or $25 to each supplier
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Help! Mini Blob Build Log

Post  modelbuilder49 Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:23 pm

Hi!  I didn't realize we were supposed to post the entire build log  Shocked !  Well, no problem, here's everything I compiled since I bought into being part of this project.  I keep it as a Word doc and all the photos are imbedded in the document but from the looks of it they won't post as they were formatted so I'll try to put the pictures in some other way.  Nevertheless, here's my build log up to the point of the initial test flights:

MINI BLOB Build Log

Saturday, April 27, 2019
I pondered whether to try building another plane for the Cox 1/2A Speed Event.  Back in 2017, I downloaded a copy of a plan for an F2C/N trainer called “da Blob” by a fellow named Don Burke from one of the forums on RC Groups.  I built one and I liked it so for the heck of it I figured I’d take a chance and printed off a 60% plan thinking it might be good for just such a project but I have to admit, I’m not sure just what size I should make it, so I set the idea aside for a few days.

Tuesday, April 30, 2019
After giving more thought and research into what size a 1/2A plane should be for a nice stable speed racer, I downloaded a photo of a really kool looking, twin boom, 1/2A model that I thought I might build for the upcoming Cox Speed Event.  I knew I would need to do a build log of the plane to accompany the video, if I want to win.  In addition, there was an additional award if to had a Jetex or Estes engine boost.  Around noon or so, I began working on the design for the new 1/2A speed model.  One of the most difficult parts is figuring out just how big to make the various components without compromising or inhibiting the optimum performance.  As a side thought, I decided to make the templates for the 60% F2C/N Racing Trainer called the CHALLENGER that I downloaded from the RC Groups forum.  I’m thinking that at least the wing may be somewhat usable even if I can’t use the fuselage.  But at the same time, I haven’t given up on the twin boom style either.  I started cutting out the templates for the CHALLENGER.  I think I’ll call it a MINI BLOB.  That’s a cute name, I think I’ll keep it even if I have to make another one slightly larger.  I guess I’d call it artistic freedom because other than the outline I didn’t use any of the materials called for per ‘se.  I used a piece of Sig airfoil shaped balsa for the wing with a piece of 1/8” balsa sheet glued to it to make up the 60% wing template.  The wing and horizontal stab were outlined with a piece of 1/8” square bass.  I used a piece of 3/16” balsa for the fuselage thinking I could come up with a successful way to mount a Black Widow to the front end of the balsa fuselage.  Then it was time to begin cutting, sanding and shaping.  It took the better part of the afternoon to get to this point. I may have to come up with an alternative for the horizontal stab because after sanding the wing to a reasonable airfoil, the wing trailing edge came out to be a little less than 3/32” thick.

Wednesday, May 1, 2019
I started the day around 0730 or so and by 0930, I was in the workshop.  I resumed work on the MINI BLOB and decided to cut an additional fuselage from a piece of ¼” bass.  My thinking was to build another one that would be fitted for a side mounted Tee Dee 051.  I haven’t decided what to use for the wing but I’ll probably use a piece of ¼” balsa.  Next, I spent a couple of hours fabricating and fitting an elevator assembly and when I had one that seemed usable, I sealed it in place using the iron-on hinges.  By 1850, I was pretty tired but I had basically completed the assembly of one of the MINI BLOBS, specifically I used the ¼” bass fuselage.  This fuselage gave me the ability of mounting the TEE DEE 051 without the need of using maple motor mounts.  It took a bit of fitting but I did get it done and it looks good.  All I need now, is to figure out the control system that I’m going to use.

Thursday, May 2, 2019
I came into the workshop then resumed work on the MINI BLOB.  I piddled at trying to rig the controls but I didn’t really accomplish anything.  I managed to spend all of about 30 minutes on the MINI BLOB controls.  Needless to say, I didn’t make much headway.

Friday, May 3, 2019
I decided to come into the workshop and resume work on the MINI BLOB.  I feel so fortunate because the Lord gave me a good idea for completing the controls and it gives me a nice degree of variability for the amount of elevator movement.  I took a couple of pictures to document the progress.  It’s getting closer to the time for finishing!  I decided to see if I could make another wing for the balsa fuselage.  I decided to use a 3” wide Sig pre-shaped balsa wing glued together with a piece of 1/8” balsa sheet.  With that fitted, I was able to trim the wing to shape followed by a rough fitting sanding to be able to insert it into the fuselage slot.  Next, I used some scrap 1/64” ply to laminate the bottom of the wing.  While the contact cement set, I cut a couple of 1/16” brass tubes that I can superglue in place and use as lead out guides on the first of the MINI BLOBS.  With that done, I decided to take a few minutes to update the log before shutting down for the day.

Saturday, May 4, 2019
I spent a bit of time straightening up then put a few minutes of work into sanding the wing for the second MINI BLOB.  It’s now 1627 and I need to stop for the day or at least until it stops thundering and lightning.

Monday, May 6, 2019
I started the day around 0700 or so and spent a few minutes working on the final shaping of the wing for the MINI BLOB with the balsa fuselage and when I was satisfied with the fit, I glued it and the horizontal stab in place.  I received a call from Larry and he asked me to build a MINI BLOB for him so he could mount an OK Cub and try his hand at the Cox Speed Contest.  I said I would.  

Tuesday, May 7, 2019
I spent the better part of the afternoon on the final setup for the MINI BLOB with the Tee Dee .051
After rigging the bellcrank, elevator pushrod and leadout wires, I cut a 1-3/8” square x 3/16” plywood motor mount for mounting the Black Widow engine and then cut the front of the fuselage, leaving about 1/2” ahead of the wing leading edge.  After that, I spent the remainder of the time working on the balsa MINI BLOB for the Black Widow.
I finished out the session by adding a bead of thin CA to outline the wing and the horizontal stab and elevator to add a bit of strength, then proceeded to centering and gluing the motor mount to the fuselage.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019
I managed to glue some 1/2" triangle braces between the firewall and the wing of the balsa MINI BLOB.  The mount and braces were saturated with thin CA and when cured, I spent time shaping the front end and over the course of the morning and afternoon I was able to complete the balsa MINI BLOB and mounted the Black Widow engine.  It is seriously nose heavy and will need some tail weight, but none the less, both of them are basically ready for finishing.
Finally, I completed the leadouts for the wing then added a music wire landing skid.  I talked with my flying buddy Larry and he asked me to build a Mini Blob for him.  I decided that I would not use a landing gear for his.  Out of curiosity, I need to see how much difference there is in the weights of the Black Widow and the OK Cub .049 engines.  Well, now I know!  My Tee Dee .049 weighs 2.0 ounces whereas my OK Cub .049 weighs 1.6 ounces.  In addition, it is much shorter, 1-5/8” versus 2-3/8”.  I need to check with Larry and see which way his engine mounts so I can get his mount right.  I need to check with Larry and see which way his engine mounts so I can get his mount right.  Larry responded and the photo he sent looks like his OK Cub has a mount like the Black Widow.  

Thursday, May 9, 2019
I started the session by putting in the time and effort to complete the balsa MINI BLOB for Larry.  To this end, I used thick CA to seal the fuselage and wing joint, used thin CA to saturate and harden the motor mount and added a segment of music wire to create a nose skid because I opted to not fabricate a landing gear.  I’ve decided to turn it over to Larry and see what he can do with it.

Friday, May 10, 2019
Later in the afternoon, I decided to coat the MINI BLOB with a coat of Balsarite.  I didn’t do Larry’s with the balsa fuselage.  While that dried, I spent a few minutes watering the garden and when that was done, I brought the planes back in the workshop and opted to shut down for the evening.

Saturday, May 11, 2019
I turned the balsa MINI BLOB over to Larry so he could finish it his way and mount his OK Cub on it.

Monday, May 13, 2019
I decided to spray a coat of Rustoleum Blue on the MINI BLOB.  I probably should have monokoted it but Larry sent a picture of his and it was painted and ready to fly, so I decided to paint mine.  The worse thing is that it began sprinkling rain so I had to bring it indoors to dry.  Oh well, once it does, I should be able to give it a nice smooth second coat after about an hour otherwise I may have to wait 48 hours for a second coat, that would be Wednesday morning.  One thing is for sure, I need to get some test runs on the various Cox engines to find a couple of them that should perform best.  Around 1500, I applied a second coat for the heck of it then hung it on the rack to dry overnight.

Tuesday, May 14, 2019
I checked the general look of the paint and while it looked okay, it definitely could have used a coat of fine filler beforehand.  I just hung it back up for the rest of the day.  I’ll check it out tomorrow.

Wednesday, May 15, 2019
I started the session by beginning the finishing processes for the MINI BLOB.  I mounted the bellcrank and controls along with the landing gear then I decided to cut a hole in the wing into which I could fit the Perfect 1/2 oz Wedge Fuel Tank and sealed it in place.

Thursday, May 16, 2019
I tried bench testing a couple of my Tee Dee's with little to no reliability during their runs. I found that the plastic housings on both my .049 and .051 were cracked where the carburetors thread in. I have no idea when this happened but it was almost impossible to keep the carbs in place so when I got frustrated I ordered the components that I need to repair both of my Tee Dee .051’s from Cox International.  

Friday, May 17, 2019
I started the session by retesting the Tee Dee engines but I opted to add a bit of superglue around the outside of the carb of the Tee Dee .051’s in hopes that it minimizes any air leaks when they’re running.  I opted to mount the Tee Dee .049 on the MINI BLOB for the initial test flights because it was rebuilt not too long ago by one of the members of the Cox Forum and this will be the best time to try it out.  Other than needing some trim colors or stickers on the MINI BLOB, I believe it’s ready to go.  The engine ran nicely but all I had was an old Cox 6x4 prop. I posted the finish to the MINI BLOB build log on the Cox Engine Forum then I posted it on my Facebook page and the Control Line page.  I really hope it flies well when I, hopefully, test fly it tomorrow!

Saturday, May 18, 2019
By 0900 I was at the flying field and started the session with the MINI BLOB.  I had Don serve as the pilot so I could get some video of it in the air.  It took a couple of attempts but once it did get going it really did its thing.  It was fast and I got a full video of the flight.  Unfortunately, it took a few laps before it settled down for the best ten laps but this was only the initial test flight.  One thing is for sure, it doesn’t glide at all.  When the engine died, it basically fell out of the sky.  So, it now logged its second time in the air.  Next, I tried my MINNOW with its TEE DEE 051 but it didn’t fly so after a couple of attempts, I decided to call it quits and put the 1/2A’s away.  I returned home and spent some time cleaning and replacing the props on the 1/2A’s and preparing them for the next session.   For the record, the MINI BLOB flew with an APC 4.75x 4 prop.  Hopefully the engine will run better once I've received and mounted those replacement front housings.

Monday, May 20, 2019
I decided to measure the Sig dacron lines I used for the initial flight of the MINI BLOB and as per the rules, from centerline of the plane to centerline of the handle the lines measured 42'.

2018 to 2019 CEF Run What YA Brung UNLIMITED speed contes (CLOSED) - Page 9 2019-024
2018 to 2019 CEF Run What YA Brung UNLIMITED speed contes (CLOSED) - Page 9 2019-023
2018 to 2019 CEF Run What YA Brung UNLIMITED speed contes (CLOSED) - Page 9 2019-022
2018 to 2019 CEF Run What YA Brung UNLIMITED speed contes (CLOSED) - Page 9 2019-026
2018 to 2019 CEF Run What YA Brung UNLIMITED speed contes (CLOSED) - Page 9 2019-025
2018 to 2019 CEF Run What YA Brung UNLIMITED speed contes (CLOSED) - Page 9 2019-027
2018 to 2019 CEF Run What YA Brung UNLIMITED speed contes (CLOSED) - Page 9 2019-028
2018 to 2019 CEF Run What YA Brung UNLIMITED speed contes (CLOSED) - Page 9 2019-029
2018 to 2019 CEF Run What YA Brung UNLIMITED speed contes (CLOSED) - Page 9 2019-030
modelbuilder49
modelbuilder49
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:50 pm

Modelbuilder049,

Did you post a video of your flight? I read where you say you have one, but can’t find it.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:01 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Modelbuilder049,

Did you post a video of your flight? I read where you say you have one, but can’t find it.

Heck of a job MB49 and one I followed. Weird design with an OK Cub. I would love to see a video of it flying contest or not.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:04 pm

That's a build log. I should have finished the Meteor...even MB49 caught the JATO clause. Grrrr!

No, that's a great build log!
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:34 pm

His video is on page 8 here. I posted his time on this page.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9