Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Crash proof 1/2A Stunt  plane  … ???   - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Crash proof 1/2A Stunt  plane  … ???   - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Crash proof 1/2A Stunt  plane  … ???   - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Crash proof 1/2A Stunt plane … ???

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Crash proof 1/2A Stunt  plane  … ???   - Page 2 Empty Re: Crash proof 1/2A Stunt plane … ???

Post  GPW Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:59 pm

We had thoughts of using maybe some screw eyes as tip leadouts , and they would have to be big enough to pass the lines through with  those little fishing clip thingies  ( senior moment) that would clip directly on the bellcrank , no leaders at all … ??? Huh...

Down here music wire always rusts quickly … aargh !!!
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Crash proof 1/2A Stunt  plane  … ???   - Page 2 Empty Re: Crash proof 1/2A Stunt plane … ???

Post  NEW222 Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:02 pm

If you use the plastic coroplast to build with, just gluing a small strip by however long you want to the wing tip, the fishing leaders will pass through it easily, and also acts as an adjustable leadout.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:05 pm

This is the leader material I use along with a couple pictures of the lead out guide I mentioned. Hope this helps.
Crash proof 1/2A Stunt  plane  … ???   - Page 2 57303410
Crash proof 1/2A Stunt  plane  … ???   - Page 2 57484910
Crash proof 1/2A Stunt  plane  … ???   - Page 2 57604310
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:38 pm

Nice leadout trick New … !!! Cool
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:49 am

OK, I know this is going to sound crazy , but I saw a plane in my sleep … a simple little folded foam wing , corroplast spar , with an EPP fuselage/nose , and a TD .020 on the nose ( I have one ) … should be wild on short lines … Shocked Probably won’t weigh much , low inertia …
I’m working on a sketch …
It might be better to make one larger for something simple like a Baby Bee… but we don’t have one … yet … Laughing
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:58 am

Just a quick sketch/ idea  … probably size to fit …  Tiny … crumbs for thought … Crash proof 1/2A Stunt  plane  … ???   - Page 2 A11971315-129-020%20
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:31 am

And for anybody who never folded a wing yet  ( on purpose )  you start with the one piece of foam ( or cardboard ) twice the size of the wing  chord , and divide that into lengthwise two  with a line . Place a piece of thin packing tape down  the middle on the outside edge of the foam sheet .  Using a long ruler run some dull object down the ruler making an indentation (not a cut) into the foam on the inside of the bend .  
 Glue the spar material  to the bottom  wing , and fold the top over the leading edge where it’s pre- creased. glue the top of the spar to the top skin as you fold it over so both pieces meet at the trailing edge …  Airfoil …   instant wing …  ( cheap )  Beveling the wing trailing edge on the bottom wing skin with a sanding block makes for a better fitting and thinner trailing edge , coincidentally the same thickness as the stabilizer material … Wink

Note:  If you’re using a coroplast spar make sure the corrugations face up and down   ( I know )   instead of tip to tip ..  the spar keeps the two wing skins away from each other and the “perpendicular corrugations”  would be similar to balsa spar shear webs …
In folded wings in the past we just used foam spars and that worked too … Much room for experimentation … That and i have some salvage foam Chicken meat trays that look just fine for wing material …   Huh...
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:44 am

Nothing like a model airplane dream sunny New222 i used that method for the lead outs and was not long the lines came together in one section ? I don't know but didn't work well for me though the plane is easy to fly . My son started out on one and quickly when to Balsa . Beer Cheers cheers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:46 pm

I think Dave has been reading along here, and made a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dO55a5ch9Q Anyway I measured my old .15 size one. The span is 33" x 8" chord. The tail part is 6" long and 2 1/2" of that is elevator. It is 10" wide. The leadouts are about 1/2 way back, so 4" from the leading edge. The motor mount is just as long as needed for balance.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:24 pm

Awesome. Thank you for the dimensions. I can now start looking for some coroplast. Thought I had some, but it is already in use, and the rest I have are small.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:33 pm

No election signs around you? Muffler shops or pizza specials? Always opportunities if you don't mind snooping.We have a real estate agent in the club that has offered signs. Try to find the 2mm thin stuff, not for this plane but it is good for other ones. Hard to find.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:40 pm

I will be going snooping this week. Election signs are not around, but will talk to a couple people. I think Home Hardware or such sell pieces, or might hit up a sign shop. Can't be that much.... I had a good source for 2 mil, but haven't talked to them in a while. Was $18 CAD a sheet (4 x Cool. I have an old US Aircore 40 Trainer that is not being used and needs some work, so could sacrifice the wings that are 2 mil......
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:44 am

$ 18 is a great price. I paid $14 quite a while ago, got 2 sheets. Now they never stock it and want you to buy a big stack, so it is difficult to get colour selections. GE Polymershapes, I think someone else bought them out, but they supply everyone and don't keep stock. Doesn't seem like a good business policy, at least to sell stuff, maybe there is a saving of storage space?
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:49 am

Maybe the best idea is to run the control lines through the leadouts and tie them directly to the bellcrank , Cox RTF style …   Ought to be OK for 1/2 A  ? … Huh...

With so many elections going on around here, it’s pretty easy to find corroplast election signs, and nobody minds if you take a few after the election … Shocked Free planes , now with specific purpose we’ll collect some stock for future builds .

The last time we used any corro-plast for gas engine work was building the “Floppy Disks “ ( Model Builder magazine , Mar. 1993 ) With no really good glue at the time , we used tab and slot constructiion to make it easier .. As we recall they lasted so well we had to finally give them away … Laughing

We may learn to fly inverted yet !!! Old Bugger
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:12 am

You can just leave a slide clip on the bellcrank, and unhook the lines from there.  I never use dacron.  The stunting suffers and they go slack.  I really hate that, it is bad enough with good lines.  I have been using solid .009" lines for many years because I got a big spool.  They are a bit rusty but ok.  The .008" braided is good but needs binding. I have no problem flying inverted, but overhead stuff gives me trouble.  Maybe my age and I have a problem looking up.  Then again, only a few of my planes are capable of overhead flight.  Mostly F2D combats, and they are pretty fast if mistakes are made.  Had a few times when they went behind me and I gave them full up till I could see the plane again.  Probably did five loops behind my head.  Keeps the adrenaline up. I like that. In the pic, you can see that some guys (and maybe one girl) leave the lines on all the time. https://digilander.libero.it/pampy/Pag%202%20F2A/Foto/Muzio%20presenta%20OPS%205%20%26%2010cc.JPG
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:41 am

Wow!!! Speed , that’s pretty Radical , but I get your point … We were planning on trying out the “suggested" Spiderwire lines , and since we use it for fishing , makes sense to try it for a simple little plane as planned … Just for me anyway !!!
Just trying to keep this simple without jumping in all at once ($) … I do have a box of EPP , foams , and lots of ideas … I’ll just see what I can come up with following at least one of the ideas previously mentioned … Huh... All for Fun …. perchance inverted flight … Laughing
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:06 pm

Whoa !!!  And then we found some of this …. Crash proof 1/2A Stunt  plane  … ???   - Page 2 A11993605-28-aquarider     5.75” X 35” X  0.75 “ “ pool noodle Foam “
 Light , stiff (ish) , gotta’ be fuelproof … Huh...    Maybe a balsa /ply  fuselage/firewall  (nose )  simple foam stab and fin … ???    Plenty to experiment for a couple little wings .    getting out “the Knife “ …  Thinking a nice FAT airfoil , though streamline , would work and fly slower ( more drag ) …     KF Airfoil ….   Hmmm? RC Plane
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:49 pm

How about something like this ??? Crash proof 1/2A Stunt  plane  … ???   - Page 2 A11993821-102-Aquarider%20
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:53 pm

Looks possible.  Get a strong bellcrank mount and you can skip the rudder I think.  They don't really do much.  How thick is the foam, and how firm? It looks similar to the expansion joint foam for cement sidewalks. It is a bit less than 1/2" thick X 3 1/2" or so.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:58 pm

Speed , it’s basically pool noodle Foam .. pretty tough ( likely made to survive children … Surprised )

I ws thinking of just inseting a plywood square in the foam to hold the bellcrank … maybe somehow tying it in with the fuselage some way ( stronger … Huh... ???

No fin eh ??? Somehow that doesn’t “look” right ??? But we’ll try it … we can always add a cosmetic fin ... Airplane
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:21 am

Oh sorry ! … The foam is 3/4” thick 5 3/4” wide … 35” long … like a plank … It’ slices with a very sharp razor knife , imagine it turns fuzzy when sanded ( turbulators ? ) … or we can make some templates and hot wire the LE … ??? Huh...
And , the round circle at the tip of the LE is a Bamboo skewer … We’ve been using them on Foam RC planes for years and they really prevent a lot of “landing rash “ to the wing . Light , but Strong !!!
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:57 am

I didn't see any at Wallyworld yesterday. I think maybe it is similar to the foam they are using in some of the newer F2D planes on the leading edge, although it has smaller cells. I used the expansion joint stuff to make a KFM airfoil on a coro combat, but it seemed too heavy with two layers, one corro and one foam. I cut it with a knife and it cut well, but seemed way too open celled without a covering. For a trainer/beater the open cells could slow it down well, but would soak up the oil better than a sponge. I guess it could have been fastened down with the closed cell up. I aborted the idea anyway.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:17 am

Speed , we see this same material in packing sometimes … We try to save those for various projects … I’m kinda’ thinking if we make it out of cheap materials it can be considered “disposable “ when It crashes while I’m trying to fly inverted …. hahahaha
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:30 am

Just remember DOWN is your friend. After three laps, you got it forever.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:56 am

Usually we get to 2 1/2 laps and crash … inverted … Surprised Funny , we can fly inverted RC no problem , but we don’t do it close to the ground … Laughing
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next