Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Rusty's Medallion Cox_ba12

Rusty's Medallion Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 5:36 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 5:36 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 3:38 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:42 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 2:22 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Rusty's Medallion Empty
Live on Patrol

Rusty's Medallion

Go down

Rusty's Medallion Empty Rusty's Medallion

Post  Kim Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:59 am

From my Facebook Page:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Rusty's Medallion"

We lost several friends from our little circle of flyers this past year, making me redouble my efforts at having a good life and appreciating it at the same time.  The clock is ticking folks...get out and do stuff.

My friend, Rusty Knowlton passed away a few months ago, and was a walking example of squeezing all the living possible from one's existence.  

We met in person one time three years ago, but were constantly in touch, before and after, through the Cox Engine Collector Forum, and his weekly/bi-weekly live forum, "At the Bench", over on the Stunt Hangar site.

A memorial has been organized by the C.E.F. for Rusty...a "Traveling Engine Event"...with three engines mailed between members who will run, fly, or display them for posting on the Forum, along with any thoughts or memories they may have about our ole bud.

I was recently honored and somewhat shocked to receive a package of Rusty's gear from Will Davis, a mutual friend.  One of the items was a Cox "Medallion" .049 engine, and it was instantly assigned duty in the nose of my "Scout" project.  With as few changes as possible, it'll be bolted to the little plane, with some sort of notation on the model's side.

The "Medallion" series of Cox engines are considered (by me at least), to be the "Gentler Tee Dee's"...not as powerful---though close--but easier to start and a little less picky about their settings.  Kinda like the difference between a high-strung thoroughbred and a friendly work horse.

As I like to do these days, I set up a test stand to check the little engine's health, and it came to life almost immediately, with just hand flips to wake it up.  It'll be ready-to-rock when it's put on the nose of the Scout.

Here are some photos of it's run, along with a few memories of my ole bud, Rusty:

Rusty's Medallion 1_183
Rusty's Medallion 2_162
Rusty's Medallion 3_87

Rusty's Medallion 4_73
Rusty's Medallion 5_132
Rusty's Medallion 50_21

Rusty's Medallion 10_51
Rusty's Medallion 12_36
Rusty's Medallion 14_33

Rusty's Medallion 0_5413
Rusty's Medallion 0_7412

Last edited by Kim on Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:21 pm; edited 4 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Rusty's Medallion Empty Re: Rusty's Medallion

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:12 pm

I think that was very admirable of Will. One of my club members whom I haven't seen in many years had a Scout with a Medallion. The plane and the engine go together like a pocket on a t-shirt. Rusty, my son and I also enjoyed each others company. I made it to Huntersville 3 times . One of the trips there, I arrived ate lunch, flew the contest, packed up and had to return home all within a few hours. That was not so fun. The after the contest flying which took place at Rusty's friend Watt's house was memorable. Not only did we enjoy terrific bbq, we flew until you couldn't see your plane any longer.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:02 pm

That’s great Kim. I was informed by Wayne Robinson that I will be receiving a package from Will Davis as well. I’d much prefer just to have Rusty back with us.

Rusty had called me a week before he passed and I missed the call and forgot to call him back right away. That is really weighing heavy on me. I have been returning all my missed calls immediately since then. Let that be a lesson to all of us. We aren’t promised tomorrow only today.

I am sure that is the perfect engine for the Scout!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:09 am

Cribbs74 wrote:That’s great Kim. I was informed by Wayne Robinson that I will be receiving a package from Will Davis as well. I’d much prefer just to have Rusty back with us.

Rusty had called me a week before he passed and I missed the call and forgot to call him back right away. That is really weighing heavy on me. I have been returning all my missed calls immediately since then. Let that be a lesson to all of us. We aren’t promised tomorrow only today.

I am sure that is the perfect engine for the Scout!

Yeah, the Scout project just got a lot more special.

I had a similar situation with a long-time friend who kept saying that we needed to get together for a Sunday Fly Day.  I had no idea that he was very ill, and the weekends slipped away until I got a call from his son that he had passed.

We develop many contacts, and it's probably impossible to cover every possible base, and Neal was not the type to talk about being sick, but I sure wish I had pushed aside whatever was going on, and had another great Sunday afternoon with him.

But, if he could comment on it, I know for a fact that he'd wave his hand and say, "Please don't worry about it."

I'm pretty sure our Rusty would have the same reaction.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down