Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

test stands - Test flew my new fuel system and first flight of my Medallion Cox_ba12

test stands - Test flew my new fuel system and first flight of my Medallion Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by Cribbs74 Today at 10:52 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 10:24 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 8:05 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Today at 6:55 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 5:36 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 3:38 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

test stands - Test flew my new fuel system and first flight of my Medallion Empty
Live on Patrol

Test flew my new fuel system and first flight of my Medallion

Go down

test stands - Test flew my new fuel system and first flight of my Medallion Empty Test flew my new fuel system and first flight of my Medallion

Post  RknRusty Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:38 pm

I took the Li'l Jumpin' Bean and the PT-19 out today. I wanted to test that bladder I made and also fly my Medallion for the first time since I got it last Fall. The bladder worked pretty good. I'm not sure I had the engine needled rich enough. I set it like I would set a Tee Dee, but it slowed climbing up into loops more than it should. I used a 5.5x3 prop which has worked well in the past. But the damn thing ran for 5:50 on about 25 cc of fuel. I did some fast turning and a lot of plain laps just to get my flying legs tuned up. No dizzy, so I'm good that way. I had to run around a lot to keep the lines tight and get back to my spot before I hit the building or the trees. There was a little wind, but not so much I should have struggled to keep the lines tight. I'll set it richer next time. It can still leave the stooge running slower without hitting the ground before it gets airborne. Listen and tell me if you think it was needled right. It could possibly be the bladder, but it's as free flowing as it should be.

The PT-19 with the new Killer Bee was a different story. I doubted if it would fly off the platform, so I used an old line and skewer type for a rolling takeoff. I pulled weeds along the takeoff path where I worried they would catch the lines. The KB and a 5.25x4 prop got it off the ground almost instantly, a first for that plane, which always reminded me of getting a kite aloft. But it either caught the weeds or got tangled in the stooge line. I have watched the video 10 times and I can't tell. It was funny as hell. After it got up to about 4 feet it suddenly turned into the circle and made some interesting maneuvers on its own. I thought I was going to have to dodge it, but it finally hit the ground in an explosion of rubber bands. No damage at all. You gotta love the PT-19 for that.

I was tired, so I just threw everything in the wagon and went home. It looks to me like it can fly from the stooge on the platform, so I'll try it again tomorrow. The Killer Bee is really strong. It seems plenty stronger than a BW. My new 2" pitch props are at the post office, so I'll have them Monday and I can try that PT-19 loop I promised.

I didn't post a video of the PT, but I did post some of the Bean. I removed the boring laps I flew just for the exercise, but I did post most of the third flight. I flew plain laps twice on a half tank to make sure it all worked and then videoed the long flight. It does run better all the way through on a fuller tank, and just speeds up for a second, then cuts off when it's empty.

Anyway, here it is. Click full screen if you can.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

test stands - Test flew my new fuel system and first flight of my Medallion Empty Re: Test flew my new fuel system and first flight of my Medallion

Post  PV Pilot Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:41 am

It sounded about right. I think it was just the intital change in the angle of attack for the loop that was causing the motor loading sound. Maybe the intial gee force was slowing the fuel flow on a non-pressure medallion setup. Did you pull the glow head and have a peek at the coils?

It seems as thought the Bean and others could use a bit more rudder, maybe glue a bendable trim tab to the rudder edge so you can adjust for the wind. It will slow it down a bit, but it will keep the lines tight on the average.

As a side thought, maybe throw down a white rag or marker of some sort, so you can get back to circle center with your peripheral vision , ya had me cringing getting over by the church, lol.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

test stands - Test flew my new fuel system and first flight of my Medallion Empty Re: Test flew my new fuel system and first flight of my Medallion

Post  RknRusty Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:06 am

Yeah I did get close to the brick wall didn't I. Laughing A marker is a great idea, I'm definitely going to take that advice. I was looking at the stooge to find my spot. I use plenty of outboard thrust angle, so I might tweak the rudder. Thanks for the tips.

I might see if kitting it together still has fine thread NVs for that engine, then I can pressurize it. Or maybe it was Kirncraft, can't remember off hand. I had fun anyway, and got my annual Spring confidence lull all fixed. I'm going to fly the RR1 today, and try the PT-19 off the platform stooge. It seems strong enough to fly off if it.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:30 am

Welll, shoot us some RR1 video, that is a must. Very Happy

PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:58 am

PV Pilot wrote:Welll, shoot us some RR1 video, that is a must. Very Happy

Sure will. I'm going to put it on the Li'l Satan. Gotta wait for the worshipers to disperse over at the church... and hope my wife doesn't get in a projecting mood. Rolling Eyes

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:05 pm

Hey Rusty, Hank at Texas Timers has those
fine thread needle assemblies your looking for.
Bob
http://texastimers.com/
Scroll down the menu on the left.
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:50 pm

dckrsn wrote:Hey Rusty, Hank at Texas Timers has those
fine thread needle assemblies your looking for.
Bob
http://texastimers.com/
Scroll down the menu on the left.
They sure do, I had forgotten about that. Thanks Bob.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:31 pm

RknRusty wrote:

Sure will. I'm going to put it on the Li'l Satan. Gotta wait for the worshipers to disperse over at the church... and hope my wife doesn't get in a projecting mood. Rolling Eyes

She is your director of cinematography??
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:07 pm

PV Pilot wrote:
RknRusty wrote:

test stands - Test flew my new fuel system and first flight of my Medallion Rofl-1 We pronounce that "Projickin" around here, as in working on spontaneous projicks around the house and yard.

Now I'm off to write the RR1 report and post the video. I accidentally deleted my first paragraph, so I'm starting on the thread right now. Stay tuned.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:14 pm

RknRusty wrote:
PV Pilot wrote:
RknRusty wrote:

test stands - Test flew my new fuel system and first flight of my Medallion Rofl-1 We pronounce that "Projickin" around here, as in working on spontaneous projicks around the house and yard.

Now I'm off to write the RR1 report and post the video. I accidentally deleted my first paragraph, so I'm starting on the thread right now. Stay tuned.
Can't wait.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down