Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 12 Cox_ba12

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 12 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Anzac Day!
by Oldenginerod Today at 5:07 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 4:34 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 12 Empty
Live on Patrol

CEF speed contest Design Discussions

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Mad Re: CEF speed contest Design Discussions

Post  pkrankow Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:49 pm

andrew wrote:Question for Phil and Mark ---

Since you both have chosen a similar approach in mounting the engine, I'm sure there is a viable reason.  

With the engine mounted to the right of the centerline, it seems that it would have a tendency to turn the plane into the circle.  Aside from simplifying fuel flow, was there a particular reason for outboard mounting rather than inboard?  I don't know how much impact outboard vs. inboard would have, which is why I'm asking.

andrew

I've only seen it done this way...

Having the motor on the outboard side will reduce or eliminate the need to wingtip weight.

I doubt there will be significant effect on the model with this setup. I have rudder offset built in anyways.

The outboard wing is significantly less than necessary... My Dad flew combat heats missing the outboard wing because it was too much damage to repair...If these were unlimited but for power plant I would dispense with the outboard wing entirely. The inboard wing would become a fairing for the control lines more than anything else.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:53 pm

roddie wrote:
pkrankow wrote:
ian1954 wrote:Nail polish is usually nitro cellulose in a butyl actetate or more commonly ethyl actetate solvent.

I think it should be fuel proof but it can become quite brittle. It can be removed using its solvent - butyl or ethyl actetate - but even more rapidly with acetone.

Sounds like it will be perfect, depending on my fuel bath test tomorrow with my test sticks.

Phil

I assume the nail polish won't react with the Polycrylic?... If it reacts with fuel... maybe you could "mist-it" w/a few coats of Lustrekote (fuel-proof clear) after trimming... especially if it's a "hard-to-match" perfect color you've found. I've got lots of trim to paint too... and I'm not sure how I'm gonna' do it yet... I hope this works for you.

Roddie  

p.s. My "wife" uses this nail polish called "Out the Door"... or "Express Finish"...so you can image how quick that stuff dries... I don't know the chemical make-up off hand though... I'll tell you what I "do know"... If we spent as much money per month on hobbies; as the average woman spends on beauty/cosmetics... do the math. "not that I'm complaining"...

just sayin'...  Snowman 

Polycryllic is most assuredly NOT fuel proof.  Calling it fuel resistant is a stretch too.  Denatured alcohol or fuel will strip it quite effectively.

I already have Rustoleum grey primer (well sanded) and Rustoleum white paint with Rustoleum orange for trim.  Compatibility between the nail polish and the polycryllic is not an issue.  I don't know how it will react to the Rustoleum yet however.  I expect that I will be waiting several days before trying.  

I should have saved the spray painted masking...

I chose this hard to obtain color called "black" for my trim work.  Tired w/ Coffee Read  lol! 

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:06 pm

andrew wrote:Question for Phil and Mark ---

Since you both have chosen a similar approach in mounting the engine, I'm sure there is a viable reason.  

With the engine mounted to the right of the centerline, it seems that it would have a tendency to turn the plane into the circle.  Aside from simplifying fuel flow, was there a particular reason for outboard mounting rather than inboard?  I don't know how much impact outboard vs. inboard would have, which is why I'm asking.

andrew

Andrew, I used this engine mounting scheme for the empirically derived and scientifically proven reason that "it looks good". It's a profile plane, so I thought it should look authentic from the side. Besides, I figured that if I tried to mount a round cowl over the engine, I'd most likely get it out of alignment and increase the total drag of the model. As for the asymmetrical thrust from the engine on the outboard side of the fuse, I doubt that it makes any real difference. The location of the leadout guide and engine offset would have more effect on the inward/outward turning. I just guessed where to put the leadout guide on the inner wing, probably making it too far aft for minimum drag, but I didn't want to spend a bunch of time experimenting with the best placement. I was more interested in ensuring the plane wouldn't turn in towards me as it flies. I'm not putting in any left thrust on the engine. We'll see how things go after the test flight.

The Good Looking Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:27 pm

pkrankow wrote:
ian1954 wrote:Nail polish is usually nitro cellulose in a butyl actetate or more commonly ethyl actetate solvent.

I think it should be fuel proof but it can become quite brittle. It can be removed using its solvent - butyl or ethyl actetate - but even more rapidly with acetone.

Sounds like it will be perfect, depending on my fuel bath test tomorrow with my test sticks.

Phil

Decidedly NOT fuel proof. The fuel simply washed the nail polish away in mere seconds.

I don't know what I will do. Maybe use clear fuel-proof dope over it? Maybe see if black Rustoleum comes in 1/2 pint cans?

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:51 pm

pkrankow wrote:
pkrankow wrote:

Phil

Decidedly NOT fuel proof.  The fuel simply washed the nail polish away in mere seconds.

I don't know what I will do.  Maybe use clear fuel-proof dope over it?  Maybe see if black Rustoleum comes in 1/2 pint cans?

Phil
I was just reading somewhere that paint can be mixed into epoxy for colored epoxy. Maybe try that thined with alcohol?

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:02 pm

pkrankow wrote:
pkrankow wrote:

Phil

Decidedly NOT fuel proof.  The fuel simply washed the nail polish away in mere seconds.

I don't know what I will do.  Maybe use clear fuel-proof dope over it?  Maybe see if black Rustoleum comes in 1/2 pint cans?

Phil

Phil, I was recently looking at paint "pens/markers" at the craft store... Concerns are; whether the paint is fuel-proof... and the fact that you usually have to "press-down" to start the flow, which could puncture/engrave the soft balsa unless the "main" finish was tough enough to prevent that.

Upsides are; it "is" paint... and in a large variety of colors, and there is a choice between fine or broad tip sizes. For very small free-hand lettering etc... to match your "main" color scheme, they may work great. My Speed model will be white/gold... with some gold detailing/lettering... and I gave these paint-pens a hard look; as gold is one of the many different colors available.

Again... they would have to be tested for compatibility with any fuel-proof clear-coat... because I'm guessing that these pens contain a very similar acrylic enamel found in nail polish...

Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Here are some "oil-base" paint pens by "Sharpie" that I saw too... not as many colors as the Acrylic though...

http://www.sharpie.com/enus/pages/oil-based-paint-marker.aspx

I was interested in them, because they have "metallic gold".. which is what I need.

(edit) here's a site that has numerous markers; including the "Dykem" we used in the machine shop.

http://www.markingpendepot.com/?gclid=COX0jMbwqLsCFRFgfgodmToAKw

Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:26 pm

The industrial paint marker video on this page is worth watching.

http://www.markingpendepot.com/markal-xt-pro-line-ultimate-marker.aspx

Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:47 pm

I use Testors paint pens all the time for touchups and painting prop tips. I press on a hard surface until the paint flows, and it gets plenty wet to do some marking before you have to press to reload. The paint comes off the props when I aggressively clean with alcohol, so I go easy on it. And I haven't tried spraying Lustrekote over it or painting anything critical in the engine area. It sticks to the existing paint around touchups better than on the plastic prop, and I can see it on my cleaning rag, but I haven't ever rubbed it all off. I think the red stays on the prop tips better than the white. And it looks cool too.

Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:31 am

If you haven't decided on a speed model yet.. or are thinking of building another, Here's a VERY cool site to peruse and get some ideas!

http://www.air-racing-history.com/index.htm

This link below, is to aircraft listings/info.

http://www.air-racing-history.com/aircraft.htm

Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:07 pm

I drew my wing last night. Boy, scaling a plane from random pictures pasted from the internet is a pain. I had to crank out a bunch of percentages with all the different angles on the P-51 wing. My fuse is exactly 12", making my wingspan 14.76". Since that's below minimum, I'll stretch it to exactly 15". I should have made the fuse longer if I wanted exact scale, but I know it isn't an issue here.

I'm undecided about whether to use an airfoil or just a flat surface. I'm thinking of sanding a thin flat bottomed foil out of a 1/4" sheet. It seems like for speed, a little bit of lift to float the plane would be helpful rather than using so much energy to brute force it through the air. The root chord is 3.1", so a Sig 1/4"x3" symmetrical airfoil is an option. On the other hand a flat slat with a couple of degrees of + incidence might serve the same purpose, but I would guess it may also introduce enough drag to counter the lift, or worse. Decisions decisions... any thoughts on lift vs. brute force?

Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:31 pm

If you need to calculate percentages, go to Kirt's site. You fill in the length you've got and the length you want to obtain. The % is given right away!:

http://www.airplanesandrockets.com/resources/plans-scale-calculator.htm

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:37 pm

RknRusty wrote:I drew my wing last night. Boy, scaling a plane from random pictures pasted from the internet is a pain. I had to crank out a bunch of percentages with all the different angles on the P-51 wing. My fuse is exactly 12", making my wingspan 14.76". Since that's below minimum, I'll stretch it to exactly 15". I should have made the fuse longer if I wanted exact scale, but I know it isn't an issue here.

I'm undecided about whether to use an airfoil or just a flat surface. I'm thinking of sanding a thin flat bottomed foil out of a 1/4" sheet. It seems like for speed, a little bit of lift to float the plane would be helpful rather than using so much energy to brute force it through the air. The root chord is 3.1", so a Sig 1/4"x3" symmetrical airfoil is an option. On the other hand a flat slat with a couple of degrees of + incidence might serve the same purpose, but I would guess it may also introduce enough drag to counter the lift, or worse. Decisions decisions... any thoughts on lift vs. brute force?

Rusty
I used 3/16 sheet with a 3/16x1/16 basswood L.E. cap sanded to a symmetrical airfoil. I got the trailing edge as thin as possible and then reinforced it with light glass. Not do much brute force as "slicing through the wind".

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:16 pm

RknRusty wrote:I drew my wing last night. Boy, scaling a plane from random pictures pasted from the internet is a pain. I had to crank out a bunch of percentages with all the different angles on the P-51 wing. My fuse is exactly 12", making my wingspan 14.76". Since that's below minimum, I'll stretch it to exactly 15". I should have made the fuse longer if I wanted exact scale, but I know it isn't an issue here.

Rusty

If you're gonna try to make the wing shape scale, you're going to run into the same problem I had.  At 15" wingspan, I couldn't make a scale wing shape.  If your root chord is only 3.1", you're not going to be able to taper the wing.  It'd have to be 2.9" at the tip to maintain the 45 square inch rule for the wing area.  To make my wing scale, the root would have been just at 3 1/4", so my tip couldn't have been any less than 2 3/4" to meet the 45 sq.in. rule.  I went ahead and made my root 4" and then scaled the taper to make as scale-like a wing as I could and still maintain 45 sq.in.  Or, you could taper the wing, but make it longer than the 15" minimum wingspan.  It's a fact on full scale planes that a long, thin wing has less drag than a short, fat wing.  I thought about it for a long time trying to decide if that also held true for a small C/L plane, but in the end decided to go for a short, fat wing for structural strength.

The Short, Fat Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:25 pm

batjac wrote:If you're gonna try to make the wing shape scale, you're going to run into the same problem I had.  At 15" wingspan, I couldn't make a scale wing shape.  If your root chord is only 3.1", you're not going to be able to taper the wing.  It'd have to be 2.9" at the tip to maintain the 45 square inch rule for the wing area.  To make my wing scale, the root would have been just at 3 1/4", so my tip couldn't have been any less than 2 3/4" to meet the 45 sq.in. rule.  I went ahead and made my root 4" and then scaled the taper to make as scale-like a wing as I could and still maintain 45 sq.in.  Or, you could taper the wing, but make it longer than the 15" minimum wingspan.  It's a fact on full scale planes that a long, thin wing has less drag than a short, fat wing.  I thought about it for a long time trying to decide if that also held true for a small C/L plane, but in the end decided to go for a short, fat wing for structural strength.

The Short, Fat Mark
Ah, hell, you're right. I think I'm less than 30 squares as it is. Back to the drawing pad. Well it's gonna be a cold rainy weekend, so that'll be a good dining room table project. I'm headed back out to the shop to continue on the Yak now. I didn't get to work on it last night.

Thanks for alerting me to that oversight before I cut wood. Maybe it will look like a P-51 and a U2 mated.

Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:58 pm

I am so glad I chose a simple wing shape...

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:26 pm

Templates for speed plane #2:
CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 12 5aomLWi
Any guesses?

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:22 pm

RknRusty wrote:
batjac wrote:If you're gonna try to make the wing shape scale, you're going to run into the same problem I had.  At 15" wingspan, I couldn't make a scale wing shape.  If your root chord is only 3.1", you're not going to be able to taper the wing.  It'd have to be 2.9" at the tip to maintain the 45 square inch rule for the wing area.  To make my wing scale, the root would have been just at 3 1/4", so my tip couldn't have been any less than 2 3/4" to meet the 45 sq.in. rule.  I went ahead and made my root 4" and then scaled the taper to make as scale-like a wing as I could and still maintain 45 sq.in.  Or, you could taper the wing, but make it longer than the 15" minimum wingspan.  It's a fact on full scale planes that a long, thin wing has less drag than a short, fat wing.  I thought about it for a long time trying to decide if that also held true for a small C/L plane, but in the end decided to go for a short, fat wing for structural strength.

The Short, Fat Mark
Ah, hell, you're right. I think I'm less than 30 squares as it is. Back to the drawing pad. Well it's gonna be a cold rainy weekend, so that'll be a good dining room table project. I'm headed back out to the shop to continue on the Yak now. I didn't get to work on it last night.

Thanks for alerting me to that oversight before I cut wood. Maybe it will look like a P-51 and a U2 mated.

Rusty

The "dead-flat" 1/8" thick wing on my Bearcat is 17.0" span, about 68 squares.. has a 6" root-chord and a 2.5" tip-chord with 0% incidence. My length is 13.5". I designed everything by eye... but the full-scale aircraft has a 35.5 ft. span and a 27.5 ft. length... so everything looks proportional so far. Judicious use of trim and paint-color shading, can enhance the profile illusion. My wing is 2" over minimum span... but I don't really care!  Smile  I like the way it looks... and it meets the specs.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Mad F8F-2 cowling

Post  roddie Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:25 am

I worked on this tonight. I had to enlarge that prop hub to .189" (was 4.5mm?) and bush for the #5 prop-screw.  Cowl is a cap from a Lysol auto-air freshener cartridge, cut with hole-saw, trimmed w/x-acto #11 blade and cleaned-up w/120 grit emery-cloth.

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 12 12-13-10
CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 12 12-13-11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  navion34 Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:21 am

Why I can't get this prop in my country ?????????

I have to order some in the USA....

navion34
navion34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:13 am

That's one badass little prop. That's about what I had in mind too.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:45 am

navion34 wrote:Why I can't get this prop in my country ?????????

I have to order some in the USA....

Rémy,

Have you tried already Syracom, north of Rouen?

http://www.syracom-modelisme.com/

I think you better phone them because they have more in their shop than displayed on their website. I've been there already and they have gotsome tiny props on their shelves.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  navion34 Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:15 am

Thanks Lieven, I will call them,
navion34
navion34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:08 pm

OVERLORD wrote:When I looked at the wing this evening, I noticed that it starts to take the shape of a giant propeller; and it's a pusher!

Lieven

I got fed up with my warped 2 ply wing. I tried several times to straigthen it using weight and water, clamping it, put pieces of wood under the parts to correct and using a hairdryer. All in vain. I will make a new one out of a solid plank and try to carve the holes for the inserts with a knife.

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 12 Imgp6112

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 12 Imgp6113

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 12 Imgp6114

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:55 pm

OVERLORD wrote:
OVERLORD wrote:When I looked at the wing this evening, I noticed that it starts to take the shape of a giant propeller; and it's a pusher!

Lieven

I got fed up with my warped 2 ply wing. I tried several times to straigthen it using weight and water, clamping it, put pieces of wood under the parts to correct and using a hairdryer. All in vain. I will make a new one out of a solid plank and try to carve the holes for the inserts with a knife.

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 12 Imgp6112

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 12 Imgp6113

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 12 Imgp6114

Lieven
Cut the holes for the inserts all the way through. Save the pieces you cut out to use as "plugs". Install inserts, glue plugs on top of inerts, sand the plugs flush with the top of the wing when the glue is dry.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next