Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

From the cob-webs in my mind:  the Dyna-Jet Cox_ba12

From the cob-webs in my mind:  the Dyna-Jet Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:42 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 2:22 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 10:32 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:38 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

From the cob-webs in my mind:  the Dyna-Jet Empty
Live on Patrol

From the cob-webs in my mind: the Dyna-Jet

Go down

From the cob-webs in my mind:  the Dyna-Jet Empty From the cob-webs in my mind: the Dyna-Jet

Post  SuperDave Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:02 am

Emerge visions of the Dyna-Jet. They were an actual model jet engine that was started using a manual tire pump to get the air flow going then the jet was fired off and the fun began.

Popular in the post-WWII era into the 60's, Dyna-Jets were all the rage in speed competition although ear-protection was a necessity for both the pilot and the spectators.

I've not read about or seen anything on the Dyna-Jet in many years. We used to call them "The Flying Blowtorch" as the were not only loud but emitted a flaming exhaust. Smile

Comments welcome.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

From the cob-webs in my mind:  the Dyna-Jet Empty Re: From the cob-webs in my mind: the Dyna-Jet

Post  PV Pilot Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:56 am

I read a article years ago in Strictly IC magazine about a gentleman from Hungary who built a model turbine back in the early 60's with a functioning afterburner. This guy was a wizard who was waay ahead of his time. He made 7 cylinder radial CO2 engines that would fit inside a contact cold capsule...several of them,, would fit in 1 capsule. He had built a tiny dyno,,to check the power output of his tiny CO2 engines. He also had the dyno stats on his turbine,,with and without afterburner engaged. The turbine was the size of a small Campbell's soup can and had a spraybar system cobwebbbed around the back section of the turbine, to induce fuel for the afterburner section.

I looked and looked for that article,,even emailed the now owner of Strictly IC magazine for the complete magazine indexes for all the years they were printed,,to no avail.

You guys would be amazed.

Maybe someone had seen that article. IF the ole' brain bucket remembers right, I am almost positive the article was titled, "The amazing engines of Emilio Lazarus".
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

From the cob-webs in my mind:  the Dyna-Jet Empty Re: From the cob-webs in my mind: the Dyna-Jet

Post  nitroairplane Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:59 am

look at this,

nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 pm

Could the co2 engines have been made in Czeck Republic?
there is a guy who sells some masterpieces,
http://www.gasparin.cz/

that is another of his engines i think it is the second smallest.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:14 pm

nitroairplane wrote:Could the co2 engines have been made in Czeck Republic?

I don't think it was listed as the CZ republic.

That one is way to big,,these engines in the article were,,,molecule size,,I guess is the best way to explain it. He used a set of tweezers to hold the 7 cylinder for a picture. You would think it was a speck of dirt or a tiny,tiny pebble if you looked at it quick.

My ex father in law handed me that magazine, I even contacted him seeing if he still had it. No luck.

Last edited by PV Pilot on Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : dumb reason)
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:44 pm

PV Pilot wrote:
nitroairplane wrote:Could the co2 engines have been made in Czeck Republic?

I don't think it was listed as the CZ republic.

That one is way to big,,these engines in the article were,,,molecule size,,I guess is the best way to explain it. He used a set of tweezers to hold the 7 cylinder for a picture. You would think it was a speck of dirt or a tiny,tiny pebble if you looked at it quick.

My ex father in law handed me that magazine, I even contacted him seeing if he still had it. No luck.

I'm sure that gasparin made some that size
look at this compilation.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:52 pm

nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:54 am

SuperDave wrote:Emerge visions of the Dyna-Jet. They were an actual model jet engine that was started using a manual tire pump to get the air flow going then the jet was fired off and the fun began.

Popular in the post-WWII era into the 60's, Dyna-Jets were all the rage in speed competition although ear-protection was a necessity for both the pilot and the spectators.

I've not read about or seen anything on the Dyna-Jet in many years. We used to call them "The Flying Blowtorch" as the were not only loud but emitted a flaming exhaust. Smile

Comments welcome.

Never had any actual experience with them...though they did hold my fascination as a kid. Got an old magazine somewhere in my collection with a construction article on an R/C Phantom powered by one. When I was 13, I'd always skip to the end that described the flying characteristics and try to imagine what it must have been like. While I don't remember the exact words in this particular article, it was close to: "Model is fast...Pilot reactions must be quick!"

From the cob-webs in my mind:  the Dyna-Jet Ahc_ad11

Think there may be Youtube videos of the C.L. events with them.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cz10 Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:52 am

I remember them well... At CL contest, when one fired off, heads turned over the entire field... No question what was flying... Sometimes ending in flames....

I don't remember them as being particularly fast... But heavy... I think they used the speed circle that had a post in the middle to help the pilot stay in the middle.

A friend had one that had never been flown... We took an old Magician .35, cut off the top of the fuse straight from the canopy to the tail (rudder, we don't need no stinkin' rudder) and fabed up some sheet metal brackets to strap it above the top of the fuse with about a 1" gap to avoid flames in flight... Went down to the Fremont, CA GM plant and flew it in the paved rail yard where they loaded cars on a weekend morning... Way out in the middle of nowhere about a mile or more from any residential area... The cops were there just as our second flight started... I can still remember explaining to them, shouting at the top of my lungs, that no, there is no way to stop it until it runs out of fuel, which wasn't very long... They were pretty thirsty... By the end of the flight, the top of the fuse was charcoal anyway...
Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cz10 Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:12 am

All I can say is.... WOW!
Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:15 am

I'd call everyone's attention to the Dyna-Jet's "cherry red hot" exhaust shown in the vids.

They were known to cause some pretty serious fires both in the air and on the ground. Of course, in those days, the hazards of asbestos were not known or appreciated.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:50 pm

Cz10 wrote:

All I can say is.... WOW!

I know right he has an amazing collection it must be 2000 times bigger than mine.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:42 pm

From the A.M.A. Museum today...

From the cob-webs in my mind:  the Dyna-Jet Img_3013

From the cob-webs in my mind:  the Dyna-Jet Img_3011

From the cob-webs in my mind:  the Dyna-Jet Img_3012
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Kim wrote:From the A.M.A. Museum today...

From the cob-webs in my mind:  the Dyna-Jet Img_3013

From the cob-webs in my mind:  the Dyna-Jet Img_3011

From the cob-webs in my mind:  the Dyna-Jet Img_3012

very nice model but i see it is not one for the under arm style launch.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:23 pm

The startup process was always an interesting exercise to watch and usually involved two or more people. You had a holder (both IC and jet speed planes were launched from a dolly), someone to fiddle with the mixture and buzz box, and someone to pump, although most brought air tanks with a probe later on. At sanctioned contests, someone was normally on the sidelines with a fire extinguisher. It was literally a three-ring circus since there was a time limit on starting. Lots of activity punctuated with short BRRRAAAAAAAPPPPPPPs. When it did start, the noise was unbelievable -- pilot took off running to the center, someone pulled the equipment out of the way and the holder just tried to keep from being grilled.

The post mentioned by Cz10 in the center of the circle was there for two reasons. It had a yoke that the flyer had to keep his forearm in. This ensured that he could not easily whip the plane or shorten the lines to increase the apparent speed. You were allowed to whip the plane to get it up to prop speed and on the pipe, but the timed run had to be done in the yoke.

I always like the IC speed events due to the RPMs turned by the engines being insane, but jet speed bordered on wicked with the noise and hot pipes.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:27 pm

andrew wrote:The startup process was always an interesting exercise to watch and usually involved two or more people. You had a holder (both IC and jet speed planes were launched from a dolly), someone to fiddle with the mixture and buzz box, and someone to pump, although most brought air tanks with a probe later on. At sanctioned contests, someone was normally on the sidelines with a fire extinguisher. It was literally a three-ring circus since there was a time limit on starting. Lots of activity punctuated with short BRRRAAAAAAAPPPPPPPs. When it did start, the noise was unbelievable -- pilot took off running to the center, someone pulled the equipment out of the way and the holder just tried to keep from being grilled.

The post mentioned by Cz10 in the center of the circle was there for two reasons. It had a yoke that the flyer had to keep his forearm in. This ensured that he could not easily whip the plane or shorten the lines to increase the apparent speed. You were allowed to whip the plane to get it up to prop speed and on the pipe, but the timed run had to be done in the yoke.

I always like the IC speed events due to the RPMs turned by the engines being insane, but jet speed bordered on wicked with the noise and hot pipes.

But i bet the jets dont sound as good as a Shuriken .061 at peak RPM.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  tubebass Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Just yesterday my dad, brothers and I were flying a Dynajet powered R/C model. We go to an abandoned WWII training airbase in the middle of nowhere so the noise won't be objectionable. Noisy fun!
tubebass
tubebass
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:13 am

tubebass wrote:Just yesterday my dad, brothers and I were flying a Dynajet powered R/C model. We go to an abandoned WWII training airbase in the middle of nowhere so the noise won't be objectionable. Noisy fun!

High pitch noisy fun for the whole family Smile
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

From the cob-webs in my mind:  the Dyna-Jet Empty Let's see if this works

Post  tubebass Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:38 am

From the cob-webs in my mind:  the Dyna-Jet Dsc00211
It's a Lanier Shrike. The yellow box behind the plane contains the ignition unit, and also serves as a stooge which holds onto the airplane till we're ready to release it. The plane is sitting on a dolly which stays on the ground when the model lifts off.

Last edited by tubebass on Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
tubebass
tubebass
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cz10 Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:43 am

Yep... That's pretty much how we mounted it on the Magician.
Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  tubebass Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:46 am

We've got thin aluminum sheet under the engine to prevent the charcoal problem you mentioned. We've been flying this one for around 15 years now.
tubebass
tubebass
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:28 pm

tubebass wrote:We've got thin aluminum sheet under the engine to prevent the charcoal problem you mentioned. We've been flying this one for around 15 years now.

What fuel?
Butane,propane ethane?
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  tubebass Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:57 pm

We're using a mixture of regular gasoline and Coleman fuel (naptha).
tubebass
tubebass
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:12 pm

tubebass wrote:We're using a mixture of regular gasoline and Coleman fuel (naptha).

Cool I once made a pulsejet the old soup can thing.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down