Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

And then...The Wind Stopped !!!!!!!!!! Cox_ba12

And then...The Wind Stopped !!!!!!!!!! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Today at 6:40 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 2:48 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 12:38 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Admin Today at 10:31 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

And then...The Wind Stopped !!!!!!!!!! Empty
Live on Patrol

And then...The Wind Stopped !!!!!!!!!!

Go down

And then...The Wind Stopped !!!!!!!!!! Empty And then...The Wind Stopped !!!!!!!!!!

Post  Kim Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:46 pm

When you live the life of a high-powered, macho, model airplane nerd, flexibility is an absolute must! For the past week or so, we've been averaging 15-20 knot winds, with some a lot stronger. Trash cans, lawn chairs, and hangar doors have been in constant danger of leaving their assigned locations.

This was predicted to go for on a good while longer so, also being a strategic dude, I had pre-loaded the ole Assault Van with about 50 pounds of laundry and related accessories for an after-work trip to the local laundromat.

Scanning the field as I rounded our big hangar, I noticed the windsock...hanging straight down! The air was foggy as a glass of skim milk... but calm! With the laundry now at the bottom of the priority list (Walmart ALWAYS has clean clothes!), I hoofed it home to send the B.O.T. out on it's first surveillance mission in good while.

I had just enough daylight left to load the camera and fill the tank while the B.O.T. quick-charged. With it's .051 screaming our plans at yonder subdivision, I chucked the B.O.T. into the gloom and watched it circle up to the nondescript cloud base. Had it just high enough for me to start worrying when the Tee Dee croaked.

These are some of the photos I pulled from the video...the sky is every bit as cold and damp as they suggest, but I DID get a little stick time...and best of all...ALSO got the B.O.T. back !!!!!!!!!

One of the photo's captured my friend's house, figure I'll e-mail it to him tonight so he'll know I'm keeping an eye on him!

And then...The Wind Stopped !!!!!!!!!! 17_12

And then...The Wind Stopped !!!!!!!!!! 18_10

And then...The Wind Stopped !!!!!!!!!! 19_12

Last edited by Kim on Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

And then...The Wind Stopped !!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: And then...The Wind Stopped !!!!!!!!!!

Post  fit90 Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:08 pm

Kim,

Cool pics, glad you were able to take advantage of the break in the wind. It also sounds like you have your priorities in good order.

Have a great Thanksgiving,

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

And then...The Wind Stopped !!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: And then...The Wind Stopped !!!!!!!!!!

Post  Kim Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:20 pm

fit90 wrote:
Kim,

Cool pics, glad you were able to take advantage of the break in the wind. It also sounds like you have your priorities in good order.

Have a great Thanksgiving,

Bob

Thanks Bob!

I've been told I've got the attentions span of a hummingbird "WHOA-------LOOK AT THAT!!!!!!-----ZIP !!!", but it's actually a treat to have an evening when the wind's not bouncing cats off the barn !

You also have a safe and great Thanksgiving!!

I've got three places I've GOT to hit, so by this time tomorrow, I'll be in a tryptophan coma !

Last edited by Kim on Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Godsey3.0 Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:03 pm

What type of plane is that? I have been looking for a plane for my .051.
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:35 pm

Godsey3.0 wrote:What type of plane is that? I have been looking for a plane for my .051.

The plane is a 2 Meter "Bird of Time" sailplane with a power pod strapped to it's back. Any 2 meter glider will work. A healthy .051 with a film canister fuel tank (1 ounce) will take it and it's camera plenty high enough to scare you !

While on that subject, it's a good idea to adhere you name and phone number, with the phrase : "REWARD FOR RETURN" on all departable components ! If you lose your radio link in an aerobatic plane, you'll usually have, at least, SOME debris. If you lose it with your sailplane at altitude, there's an excellent chance that it will just leave!

Anyway, my powerpods for these applications are built from a middle layer of 5/16ths balsa, sandwiched with 1/16th ply. The "Foot" of the pylon is 1/16th ply, with a fiberglass wrap epoxied around the seam, and balsa triangles bracing either side of the pylon. The engine bearers are 5/16th X 1/4" hardwood (scrap from a cabinet shop), and run the length (horizontally) of the pylon top.

You'll notice that the pylon is positioned far back on the wing to offset the weight of the camera. I have a slug of lead ballast that goes in the nose when the plane is not packing it's cameras.

ALWAYS! Double, Triple-check your balance if you do this, and ALWAYS Quintuple, quadrupal-check that your radio is on before launch. Gadgets like cameras can cause you to be distracted, and require extra pilot discipline all around!

Let me know if you need more photos or measurements!

And then...The Wind Stopped !!!!!!!!!! Bird_o10

And then...The Wind Stopped !!!!!!!!!! 3_24

And then...The Wind Stopped !!!!!!!!!! _051_p10

Last edited by Kim on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:50 pm

Kim wrote: For the past week or so, we've been averaging 15-20 knot winds, with some a lot stronger. Trash cans, lawn chairs, and hangar doors have been in constant danger of leaving their assigned locations.

Scanning the field as I rounded our big hangar, I noticed the windsock...hanging straight down! The air was foggy as a glass of skim milk... but calm! These are some of the photos I pulled from the video...the sky is every bit as cold and damp as they suggest, but I DID get a little stick time...and best of all...ALSO got the B.O.T. back !!!!!!!!!

This wind has been unreal --- we've had the same on this side of the river. It blows day and night. Heck, if I wanted to live in South Dakota, I would have moved there.

Those are some great pics. Looks like you got some serious air under the BOT.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:34 pm

Hey Andrew!

I've tortured that poor airplane about every way I could think of !! Yeah, the flight today was a little over half-a-tank, and looked like 800-900 feet. I've been using a micro recording altimeter from "Winged Shadow Systems" over the past two years, and have gotten to where I can do a pretty good estimate of the B.O.T.'S altitude.

Seems like I do just about everything with the B.O.T. EXCEPT chase thermals. I got the bright idea this past Spring that it might be neat to strap a GPS to it and cruise it out around the hill. After several flights, and comparing it's track on the GPS to way-points I'd previously entered, I could really judge it's distance out from my yard.

And then...The Wind Stopped !!!!!!!!!! 1_35

And then...The Wind Stopped !!!!!!!!!! 2_23

And then...The Wind Stopped !!!!!!!!!! 3_25

The B.O.T.'s next big project will be acting as a test-bed for the homemade lighting systems I want to put on my Predator/Reaper Drone. THAT is gonna be One-Spooky-Sucker! Figure it's just a matter of time before the Sheriff comes out and tells me to quit harassing the yuppies!

And then...The Wind Stopped !!!!!!!!!! 2_210

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:00 pm

Clean laundry is over rated. No worries on the attention span thing, i see something shiny go by and i tend to just start following it.

Nice test mule.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:59 pm

Thats nothing I have the attention span of a peanut and oh cox engines,butter ddduuuhh, tongue tongue Flying Airplane Beer Cheers sleep
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down