Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Cox_ba12

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by roddie Today at 11:07 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 10:32 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 10:50 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 9:33 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:38 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Empty
Live on Patrol

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Empty Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun

Post  rsv1cox Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:48 am

After weeks of scratching around to find the materials to reconstruct this old timer it's starting to come together.

Two coats of spray primer over sanding sealer is bearing results, although white shows every pin hole and flaw in the airframe. Two more coats of gloss white should intensify that although I have used filler to cover many. Plain Jane now but decals should spruce it up a bit.

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Aircra10

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Aircra12

Somewhere in all that plastic is a windshield.

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Aircra13

I'm thinking about frosting/fogging the whole airplane with black spray before applying the decals to give it a little WW1 look. I'm not trying scale anything here.

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Empty Re: Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun

Post  roddie Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:10 am

Very cool Bob! She's really looking nice! I like the idea of fogging with a darker color. Maybe experiment with different colors, over your base-color on some cardboard. Maybe beige or olive-drab might look good too.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Empty Re: Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun

Post  RknRusty Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:16 am

What a change, you really resurrected this one. I wouldn't worry about a few pinholes and flaws considering what an improvement it is over its condition in your first thread. The old backasswards Enya looks pretty fresh too.
Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Aircra12

If you want to add some exhaust stains, brown might be a better choice, masking and creating a streak down the side of the fuselage. I'd be afraid of disappointing myself if I tried fogging it with a dusting of black. But test it on a board and see what you think.

What are you going to do with that old galloping ghost? Dare to trust some future build to survive a flight with that thing at the controls? You could name it George Lol.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:50 am

Thanks guys,  I have been fishing around for comments and idea's on this thing.  In truth, when it comes to artistry and finishing details I'm a lost lamb.  I have kept everything that came with this model, even down to the deflated Trexler wheels.

That GG system (Yes, George the Galloping Ghostler should be proud) is a marvel in motion, what engineering.  I would need the transmitter and battery pack and receiver to put it in operation, but I haven't altered anything that would prevent it, just remove the bell crank fill the mount hole and I'm there.  

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Gg_sys10

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Gg_sys11

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Gg_sys12

PS: Yes, the engine that came on it was a TV engine with the exhaust on the other side. That one is a C/L engine. I have 09's with a muffler but if I change my mind and use it I'm going to have to mod the front end. This is a large plane, that table is two feet wide and I'm not sure if a 09 will haul it.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:06 am

Bob , shes looking GOOD , man it has came a long way since the beginning , I see what Rusty means by the engine exhaust port on the same side as the needle ?/?? A frosting would be a great idea I think to bring out the ole in it , I seen a bike a guy did a long time ago that he hung the parts and burnt some plastic jug under it and the smoke form it put some interesting designs on it then clear coated I was thinking some time in the future trying that !Good FUN , Eric I Love This Forum! ( yes George ! that's a good one )
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:24 am

What a difference Bob!! nice work
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:29 am

Thanks again. Some difference from this:

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Enya_010

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Enya_011

To this:

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Aircra14

I take pictures as memory prompts, the old noggin isn't what it used to be. Good thing, I had forgotten what it looked like several months ago.

I have that engine all cleaned up, but it's TV and I would have to wire it open using it C/L. I have thought about constructing a mechanism that would offer mid speed and high speed settings.

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:06 pm

Almost there, I still have to construct the control handle lead-outs, paint the struts black and add a few more decals but in a pinch I could fly her now.

After a test sheet I decided not to "fog" it with black, but I still have to clear coat the decals. I really like those vinyl decals on the tail and wings. You just peel off the backing, align and remove the film and it leaves just the image itself.

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Ac_w-p10

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Ac_w-p11

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Ac_w-p12

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Ac_w-p13

I did find a windshield in all that plastic. I cut a circular slot in the balsa, filled it with epoxy and set the shield. The epoxy hasn't fogged it yet.

Now that I have nearly finished this someone else's disaster, I won another on ebay this morning. At least this one has a wing. Anyone recoganize the kit?

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun A_proj10

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun A_proj11

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun A_proj12

It started at around $2.00, sold for $64, less than the value of the rather uncommon Enya .06. It had several bidders including a sniper at the ten second mark but I managed to snipe the sniper. I will enjoy putting it back together.

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:19 pm

Looks amazing!

Quite a transfomation Bob.

I am wondering about your leadout setup though. It's going to be really difficult to hook up lines as configured. Normal leadouts exit past the guide.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:34 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Looks amazing!

Quite a transfomation Bob.

I am wondering about your leadout setup though. It's going to be really difficult to hook up lines as configured. Normal leadouts exit past the guide.

Ron

I think he has an arrangement made for the LO's. This is similar to an idea in the scale section of Stunthanger. I thought the wingtip would have an open eyelet of some type, but I can't see any openings in the pictures.

Phil

pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:59 pm

Thanks guys,

I wanted the lower wing to be detachable so I installed a blind nut in the fuselage and an aluminum tube in the wing and use a nylon bolt to secure it. I still have to make a couple of ten inch leads which will remain on the lower wing when it's removed, then use connectors to attach to the handle.

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Ac_gui10

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Ac_gui11

Does anyone recognize that model? I would like to find the plans as I will probably have to recreate some parts. The Enya .06 dates to the 1960's so I would think the kit came from the same era.

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:22 am

Looks like a White Knight (the aircrate) Nice job on the bipe I see you changed the NVA to the other side , I bet she will be a good flier and look good doing it . Bob you may want to start another thread on the mystery plane , good score there !! wish I could help but don't have a clue . Eric Cold
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:24 pm

getback wrote:Looks like a White Knight (the aircrate) Nice job on the bipe I see you changed the NVA to the other side , I bet she will be a good flier and look good doing it . Bob you may want to start another thread on the mystery plane , good score there !! wish I could help but don't have a clue . Eric Cold

We're two peas in a pod Eric.  I never name any of my airplanes but I had thought "White Night" leaving off the "K" would be a good one for this airplane.  Then you came up with almost the same thought, so why not....... Smile  The White Knight it is.  I named the pilot after the names creator.  Smile

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Wk2_0010

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Wk2_0110

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:54 pm

Bob,

I just looked at your pictures again. I wasn't paying attention the first time. What you have there is a Veco Scout. Very cool, it's worth a restore.

Ron

P.S. I have plans for it.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:06 am

WTG looks great worth a greenie fo shizzle!!!
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:08 am

Nice job Bob. It's good to see old airplanes get another chance to fly

Last edited by akjgardner on Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:44 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Bob,

I just looked at your pictures again. I wasn't paying attention the first time. What you have there is a Veco Scout. Very cool, it's worth a restore.

Ron

P.S. I have plans for it.

Thanks Ron,  I found Roger's thread on it here:

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t8511-veco-scout-build

Looks like Dumas also kitted it.  The pictures that I have don't show the distinctive profile of the tail, but I think you nailed it.  I believe I can down load the plans.

Greenie applied Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:00 am

Don't you wreak me , Ha Ha HA !! that was what I needed here this morning as I wallow in my pain from moving some ply around in the shop, I am Honored to take a ride in your plane . I guess since I couldn't ID that plane and have a KIT from Roger H. I really need a ass kicking but, I will blame it on this siness infection I have been dealing with lately. lol Bob if you need some templates for the ribs or anything else I can help with let me know . PM so I don't miss it , I have got to get to the building board and finish up some planes (spring is a coming) Eric will fly again!! bounce
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:33 am

getback wrote:Don't you wreak me , Ha Ha HA !! that was what I needed here this morning as I wallow in my pain from moving some ply around in the shop, I am Honored to take a ride in your plane . I guess since I couldn't ID that plane and have a KIT from Roger H. I really need a ass kicking but, I will blame it on this siness infection I have been dealing with lately. lol  Bob if you need some templates for the ribs or anything else I can help with let me know . PM so I don't miss it , I have got to get to the building board and finish up some planes (spring is a coming) Eric will fly again!! bounce  

Thanks for the offer Eric, I will PM you when the time comes. I see the seller has mailed it, I was a little worried as he had zero ebay feedback. It should be here Wed.

Eric aka The White Knight will fly!!!

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Wk_00611
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:38 am

Ok sounds good !
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:52 am

getback wrote:Ok sounds good !

I hope you feel better soon Eric. My sinuses are killer too in the winter, but when spring and allergy season comes they clear right up. Go figure.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:03 am

I received the OS 20 four stroke, but as thought it's to large for this airplane. It sure would solve the tail heavy problem though. Guess I will go with the Enya 09 with a heavy prop washer and a ton of lead in the nose. If it fly's well I will substitute the .15 which will require bearer mods.

Otherwise the lead outs are secure, handle ready and 52' lines. Now all I need is courage and a nice day. Smile

Aircrate - This is beginning to be fun Aircrate%20w%20handle%20003_zpssgxvbvez
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:18 am

Well that's A bummer , at least you have a nice engine for another project and something you didn't have ! Feeling better now , Thanks ! are your 52' footers all ready for hook up ?/ I have a couple of those handles I like them but too much for 1/2A . Cant wait to see it in the air I know you can do this slow and easy bounce Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:15 am

Bob - Sorry I want to apologize, I gave you a "Red" as I was scrolling thru the post on my iPad. I use my finger to flick or slide the screen up to advance the page and  accidentally hit the "-" button.   You really deserve a bunch if greenies for all your work on the White Knight. Hope to see some flight videos!  RC Plane
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:49 am

I gave a greenie to offset the mishap Marleysky Smile

Bob, the OS is with an R/C carb, right? maybe you could set it to run on half or 3/4 throttle or so? Low revs of a 4-stroke would sound great.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next