Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Another proposed design by Roddie - Page 7 Cox_ba12

Another proposed design by Roddie - Page 7 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by rdw777 Today at 5:56 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 5:52 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Another proposed design by Roddie - Page 7 Empty
Live on Patrol

Another proposed design by Roddie

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Thinking Re: Another proposed design by Roddie

Post  roddie Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:14 pm

NEW222 wrote:Good Job. Coming along quickly. I am at a standstill here due to the lovely weather!

Thanks buddy.. I detect a note of sarcasm.. Huh... The weather "here" has been all over the road bro... It got Cold early in the week and it's still chilly here.. compared to last weekend.

Are you waiting for "painting-weather".. or flying-weather?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Thinking a tail-skid

Post  roddie Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:21 pm

I realized that I needed a tail-skid for this airplane. If not; the elevator-horn would scrape the ground. Shocked

I could have used a smaller diameter music-wire.. but I wanted a substantial skid.. for reasons outlined in the next paragraph..

Another proposed design by Roddie - Page 7 _046_i10
Another proposed design by Roddie - Page 7 _046_i11

I could utilize this skid as a pin-stooge anchor-point if need be.

I'd been thinking about this.. but put it off because I built a new C/L launch-stooge which has a fork which cradles the models' tail-plane just forward of a conventional-stabilizer.. (a popular stooge-design). I had previously been using a "pin-stooge" which requires the model to have a "receiver" for the pin to lock into. This had traditionally been either a music-wire tail-skid with a "loop" formed in it.. or a tail-wheel having a hole for the stooge-pin to pass-thru.. retaining the model.

Here are some photos of my new "fork" or sling-shot stooge..

Another proposed design by Roddie - Page 7 Dsc05710
Another proposed design by Roddie - Page 7 Dsc05711

Looking at these photos in retrospect.. I should add some soft-foam padding to the backside of the stooge-fork to prevent scratching the models' finish on release.

Here are some photos of my old "pin-stooge" which is still a very compact and reliable design.

Another proposed design by Roddie - Page 7 4-28-110
Another proposed design by Roddie - Page 7 4-28-111

There are many quick/easy ways to adapt a C/L tail-dragger to accept a pin-stooge link/receiver.

A safety-pin hooked onto the tail-gear..

Another proposed design by Roddie - Page 7 Custom10

A strip/tab of fiberglass window-screen material attached to the rear-underside of the model using 5-min. epoxy at the field.

Another proposed design by Roddie - Page 7 5-7-1410

My reason for building the "tail-fork" stooge was because of my two latest renditions of the Lockheed P38 Lightning.. and T33 "Shooting-Star".. which both have tricycle gear.

Another proposed design by Roddie - Page 7 20180612
Another proposed design by Roddie - Page 7 20190435

We're getting there.. I'm working towards getting several models in the air this season.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:30 pm

NEW222 wrote:Good Job. Coming along quickly. I am at a standstill here due to the lovely weather!

Good Lord Chancey.. this thread has some dust on it.. Smile

These graphics are promotional-stickers for the company that I work for.  

Another proposed design by Roddie - Page 7 20200221

I installed a pair of wheels on the model this evening. A different pair.. but the same style as previously fitted. They're the 1.25" diameter poplar-wood wheels that I've been using lately.

Another proposed design by Roddie - Page 7 20200222

The struts are 1/16" (.062") diameter music wire. The wheel-retainers are Goldberg #GPB0116 or SIG #SH121.. coil-spring style retainers, designed to "grip-around" the stub-end of a 1/16" diameter music-wire axle.

I make my own washers... when the need arises.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:59 pm

I'd like to begin my 2020 flying-season with a maiden on this model. I'll just have to try a bit harder to make that happen.. this year.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:29 pm

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:07 am

lol! lol! DO-IT Young Roger !! I Love This Forum! Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:35 pm

I feel you roddie. I too have a few models I would like to fly this year, and also hope I will actually get around to doing it. Once the weather warms up here, I do and will be doing it this year. Just not sure in what order I will fly them.....
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:17 pm

woah... hope this finds everybody in good health. I've been off-work since last Tues. at noon; as per MA Governor Charlie Baker's order for all non-essential businesses to close their doors until April 7th.. I get the feeling that it may be a longer time than that.

I miss work. I'd gotten settled-into my new position.. and feeling more confident.. rather than anxious. We were getting busier.. and ramping-up processes/communication in an effort to maximize productivity. Updated SOP's/methods.. available to aid in cross-training. Now it's come to a screeching halt. I like having a routine. Weekends generally throw me off balance. You can take from that what you want.. but this is starting to feel like a never-ending weekend Laughing I need to make a list.. I think.

This thread is about a flying-model that has my employers graphics/logo as its trim-scheme. I'm thinking that if I can get the graphics done.. and post a few images (here and FB) it might boost morale for my fellow employees.

We (Lynne and I) live in Rhode Island very near the SE Massachusetts border. My job is in nearby MA. Lynne works in Providence.. but has been working from home since last week. She does NOT like working from home.. but at least she's still on a payroll.

Just venting folks.. Smile I know that we're all dealing with this on some level.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:30 pm

roddie wrote:woah... hope this finds everybody in good health. I've been off-work since last Tues. at noon; as per MA Governor Charlie Baker's order for all non-essential businesses to close their doors until April 7th.. I get the feeling that it may be a longer time than that.

I miss work. I'd gotten settled-into my new position.. and feeling more confident.. rather than anxious. We were getting busier.. and ramping-up processes/communication in an effort to maximize productivity. Updated SOP's/methods.. available to aid in cross-training. Now it's come to a screeching halt. I like having a routine. Weekends generally throw me off balance. You can take from that what you want.. but this is starting to feel like a never-ending weekend Laughing  I need to make a list.. I think.

This thread is about a flying-model that has my employers graphics/logo as its trim-scheme. I'm thinking that if I can get the graphics done.. and post a few images (here and FB) it might boost morale for my fellow employees.

We (Lynne and I) live in Rhode Island very near the SE Massachusetts border. My job is in nearby MA. Lynne works in Providence.. but has been working from home since last week. She does NOT like working from home.. but at least she's still on a payroll.

Just venting folks.. Smile I know that we're all dealing with this on some level.
My son works as a waiter and needless to say is out of work, I have employed him to do things around the house that would take me a couple of years to achieve . So far he has cleaned the carpet , cleaned the hardwood floors, sanded my drywall project, and moved 13 ton of landscape rock around the house . in the evenings we sit around the fire and play our guitars. so..... life gives you lemons...make lemon aid . Very Happy
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:17 pm

Hey Joe, I'd love to sit-in on piano! Was it you who told me about a website where musicians can collaborate in real-time? I've yet to try that.. but it seems very interesting. It's nice that you and your son do music together.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:10 pm

I've been off work since 2010! 🙂 you soon find that you wonder how you ever had time to work!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:37 pm

whoa.. we're a good part.. of a bad year here.. since my last visit to this thread. Hope you're all good. Smile

Just some pics. I might re-build a stock Cox .049 Golden Bee engine for this model.. we'll see..

Another proposed design by Roddie - Page 7 20201015
Another proposed design by Roddie - Page 7 20201016
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:33 pm

Nice work roddie. Looks like a cute little plane. Your own design?
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:05 pm

NEW222 wrote:Nice work roddie. Looks like a cute little plane. Your own design?

Thanks Chancey, yes.. it's my own design. I scored a pair of Cox Golden Bee engines in a consignment lot a couple years ago.

Another proposed design by Roddie - Page 7 Dsc05112

If the model turns out to be tail-heavy.. I may opt to set one up for it. The original plan was to go with a product-style engine (horseshoe backplate) fed by a balloon-type tank (not a pressure bladder) encapsulated in a protective-tube outboard, just behind the firewall. I hope to go that route.. because I've wanted to try the static-balloon fuel-feed to see how well it works when tossing the model around.. in an aerobatic fashion. This airplane will hopefully be capable of a few maneuvers. Time will tell..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:09 pm

Should run just fine roddie. I have mostly used the same set-up when bench running my engines with horseshoe backplates, and one control line plane, but sometimes I used just a standard balloon and no tube to keep it in as well so I could get a bit more fuel into it for longer runs (bench running), but still not filling it to get any pressure. For now, if I do use a balloon, it has to be the round type as the small conger ones that go nicely in a cigar style tube have been unobtanium for me here, and am saving my last few for flying models only now.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:05 am

You going to put any paint on her ? Leaves
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:45 pm

getback wrote:You going to put any paint on her ? Leaves

Hi Eric, The last two photos are deceiving. There's gloss-white automotive acrylic enamel on the airplane. The lighting was adjusted to reduce glare. Makes it look a little like bare wood. This will be an experiment in finishes. I intended to have a gloss-white finish but I should have done it differently, because there will be graphics. I may need to scuff the gloss from those ares.. if I can. The sandable-primer that I used is white. If I'd thought more about it beforehand; I'd have applied the graphics over the white-primer and applied an acrylic clear-gloss over that.

The graphic is the company logo where I work.

Another proposed design by Roddie - Page 7 Logo-a11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7