Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 22 Cox_ba12

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 22 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by aspeed Today at 8:06 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 22 Empty
Live on Patrol

CEF speed contest Design Discussions

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

Mad Re: CEF speed contest Design Discussions

Post  duke.johnson Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:12 pm

I thought you went with that but wasn't sure. I'll check the total length tonight.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:26 pm

RULES SAY PROP PLATE TO END OF FUSELAGE 12 " I WAS GOING TO ASK HAS ANY ONE GOT A BAL. POINT AT ALL. No! 
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:46 pm

SORRY  Embarassed didn't read the post or something /?? I just ripped off the the landing gear and my damn weight was in the forward position on wing tip engine  and I am kindy [bleep] at me !!!  CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 22 Wp_20128 old pic I am was further along my cg was [down at any position ]CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 22 Wp_20129   down at any position without a mount ,also when I put the lead out on for the lines had the plane upside down of coarse , but turned around the WRONG SIDE though about just going left hand at that time..... lol! CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 22 Wp_20130  that's that s all for now folks ....ERIC? YEA I know the hinges are on wrong geeees
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:45 pm

P-40Q?
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:28 pm

that's correct Mark  , Curtiss P40-Q  ,  CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 22 Wp_20131  updated landing gear ,still got to finish them end Biplane  I hope u do fly the Bi- wing plane looks good!!Eric  I made that rear wheel its 2X1/16 " ply sandwiched
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:36 am

I'm coming up a little short on the Pitts length. I have another idea using the production backplate, I'll see if I can try it tonight. I know some of you really want a bipe in the race.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:12 am

duke.johnson wrote:I'm coming up a little short on the Pitts length.  I have another idea using the production backplate, I'll see if I can try it tonight. I know some of you really want a bipe in the race.

Would a trim tab on the rudder count towards length?
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:18 am

Small trim tab yes, three inch tail wheel extension no. lol! 
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:23 am

Hey the tail wheel idea might help with it being nose heavy. Very Happy 
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:18 pm

duke.johnson wrote:Hey the tail wheel idea might help with it being nose heavy. Very Happy 

Yes Duke... not sure if you read this part of my previous reply: "You could also make-up a tail-gear using 1/16" music-wire with a (heavy) tail-wheel made from a small steel fender-washer.. sandwiched (glued) between two thin discs cut from sheet-plastic (or thin plywood..) for the hubs."

... it would add "functional" weight... if nothing else; it would help keep the tail down when R.O.G.... As I mentioned; "PAINTING" will offset your models' current "nose-heavy" state... I have been weighing my Bearcat through the painting process. Applying x2 coats of primer-sealer (Kilz brand-white pigmented) has added .5 oz. to my models' airframe... and I still need to apply the base and trim paint.. as well as final clear-coats. Seeing that my "base color" is also white.. I may elect to just apply my trim color over the white primer, and finish with the clear-coats.. foregoing the gloss-white base that I had originally planned.

If I somehow end up "tail-heavy"... I have a carbon-fiber push-rod option to help offset this. Again; "functional" trimming is a much better option than adding dead-weight to the nose or tail.

Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:17 pm

Roddie
That's the plan, "funtional trimming". I'm trying to make the bipe work for those who want to see it in the contest. I still need to finish the P-40, it's the back up plan. I got lazy last night and didn't work on anything last night.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:10 pm

duke.johnson wrote:Roddie
That's the plan, "funtional trimming". I'm trying to make the bipe work for those who want to see it in the contest.  I still need to finish the P-40, it's the back up plan.  I got lazy last night and didn't work on anything last night.

Hey Duke.. I hear ya'... my being on lay-off since last June.. the Bearcat should have been done months ago.  Shh but that's part of the delay... I get to feeling guilty for working on it... when I could be out making $$ as a male model.. or exotic dancer  Rolling Eyes

Actually... I try to at least do at least one little thing every day.. even if it's sanding-out a blemish, adding a detail/note to the drawing or pre-gluing a part. It's one "less little thing" I'll have to do later.

Roddie

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 22 2-5-1410
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:16 am

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 22 Wp_20132  Curtiss p40-Q got some makeover on the landing gear, now higher in the front looking more like image I am using..engine  mostly together, off to Boomer to see my son today then a few more days off as work still very slow , give me time to stat on the engine mount.. This has been a lot tougher than I had imagined being I have not even built a kit in over 30 yrs. But I am not willing to give into the project . Thinking I really need to get a couple kits and work my skills? up  Crazy Eyes got another load from the bay I want to try the finger handles out anyone used these before??  CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 22 Wp_20133  Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:21 am

getback wrote:CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 22 Wp_20132  Curtiss p40-Q got some makeover on the landing gear, now higher in the front looking more like image I am using..engine  mostly together, off to Boomer to see my son today then a few more days off as work still very slow , give me time to stat on the engine mount.. This has been a lot tougher than I had imagined being I have not even built a kit in over 30 yrs. But I am not willing to give into the project . Thinking I really need to get a couple kits and work my skills? up  Crazy Eyes got another load from the bay I want to try the finger handles out anyone used these before??  CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 22 Wp_20133  Eric

Hey Eric, The Curtiss is looking good! I'm sure you'll get a lot done in your upcoming free time. Nice "eBay load"!!! Not that I've "been around"... but I've never seen those finger handles before... They look really cool... and I want one!!!!  Cool 
I'd think that they're what you'll want to fly the Curtiss with (using a narrow line spacing).. They're a much better choice for your 1/2A airplanes.

Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ebeneezer Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:25 pm

Hey these models are looking great. I'm interested in trying to use a fuel bladder. Where can I find out how to use/make/get one. I didn't realise they were good to use on reed valve engines Are they as good to use as I've read? Once you used one you never go back.
Seeing some of the models with cowls, makes me wish I'd chosen one instead of the Bugatti, although its an interesting looking shape. I haven't flown it yet, still waiting for some calm weather. If anybody could advise me on where the CG should be on a speed model I'd be greatful. If there's a next time, I think a GeeBee R3 is in order.
Now to clean up my workshop and start my next project. An electric Baby Flight Streak. Yes I know it hasn't got a real engine, but I can walk to my local flying field and fly it without upsetting anyone.
Cheers Mike Flying 
CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 22 Dsc02011
CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 22 Dsc02012
CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 22 Dsc02013
CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 22 Dsc02014
Cheers Mike Flying
ebeneezer
ebeneezer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:22 pm

Love your plane Mike... It's so radical!!! I don't have any experience with bladders... but Jim, Rusty, Ron and many other CEF flyers use them "exclusively"... and will surely help you out with advice.

You can "purchase" everything you need from Texas Timers though... including a fine-threaded (128 tpi) needle valve assy. for the "reed-valve" engine that you'll be using... (highly recommended) Check out the Texas Timers website.. and at the top of the page.. click on "Helpful Hints"... scroll down to the 5th and 6th topics from the bottom, where you'll find info. on setting up a bladder. The guys "here" will also surely give you some helpful hints!

Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ebeneezer Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:20 pm

Thanks Roddie, I hoped that would be the case. I'll check out their website.

Mike  Flying
ebeneezer
ebeneezer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:36 pm

NICE !! Mike that plane looks like it about on the strike ..CG NONE THAT I have heard of I have yet to find anyone say they have?? I think mind is some were close to the engine  lol! Beers back to you!!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:27 pm

My bladder making and using videos are pinned, but I was still new at it when I made them, and have simplified it a lot since then. Jim - JPvelo has made it even more simple using o-rings to secure the bladder to the feed fitting since then.

Here's my clunky old pair of videos:
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t3317-pressure-bladder-how-to-videos-parts-one-and-two

Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:15 pm

Mike,
There are two things critical to running a reed valve engine on bladder pressure, a fine thread needle valve and a filter to step down the tubing size. The valve can be purchased from Texas timers or scavenged from a postage stamp backplate. Here's what the filter/step down looks like:
CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 22 IwAu9N6

There's an explanation of the setup here:
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t5911-super-mouse-build-thread
It's a short thread, scroll down until you see the same picture I posted above.

Rustys videos will show you the fueling and starting procedure.

The beauty of bladders is that you are no longer dependent on Venturi vacuum for fuel draw. This lets you drill the Venturi out for maximum airflow. I'm not home and I don't have a drill index in front of me but I think I drill through with a 11/64 and drill to just past the spray bar with a 13/64. That should get you about a 1000-1500 rpm increase.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:26 pm

RknRusty wrote:My bladder making and using videos are pinned, but I was still new at it when I made them, and have simplified it a lot since then. Jim - JPvelo has made it even more simple using o-rings to secure the bladder to the feed fitting since then.

Here's my clunky old pair of videos:
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t3317-pressure-bladder-how-to-videos-parts-one-and-two

Rusty

Rusty.. those are GREAT videos! I had never seen them before. You are very organized and concise in your instructions (doesn't surprise me  Smile ) Your reference to having safety glasses and an eye-wash bottle nearby, is something that anyone running a model engine should know... and include in their flight box/caddy.

Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ebeneezer Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:54 am

I take it you remove the corse thread spray bar from your backplate (how) and replace a with the fine one. Does this work with a Killer Bee backplate  confused Flying
ebeneezer
ebeneezer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:48 am

ebeneezer wrote:I take it you remove the corse thread spray bar from your backplate (how) and replace a with the fine one. Does this work with a Killer Bee backplate  confused Flying

Mike, read through this thread a bit... Mark Boesen explains how he swaps-out the needle valve assemblies... Jim comments as well.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t6170-modifiying-horseshoe-backplates#77616

Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ebeneezer Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:26 am

Thanks Roddie all is clear now. It had no idea Cox did different needle valve thread Pitches

Cheers Mike
ebeneezer
ebeneezer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:05 pm

ebeneezer wrote:Thanks Roddie all is clear now. It had no idea Cox did different needle valve thread Pitches

Cheers Mike

Yea... you'll notice in that thread, that there's some confusion on just how many threads-per-inch the fine needle has. I have come to understand that the early Cox needles were 128 tpi. The "current" Texas Timers needle is 128 tpi... and there used to be a company in California called "Kustom Kraftsmanship" (sadly no longer) that produced fine-thread NVA's for Cox engines. The Tee Dee style was 128 tpi ... but the reed-valve style's "pitch" is not specified in my old catalog... and it obviously has a different part number than the Tee Dee's. There's a possibility that it "may" have been the odd 124 tpi needle that's out there on some modified engines. I should point out though; that the KK custom reed-valve engines were of the "tank-back" style... and NOT "Postage-Stamp" or "Horseshoe" types... so this would not apply to running a bladder set-up. (at least from the info on KK that I have)

Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next