Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

CEF speed contest Static Judging discussion Cox_ba12

CEF speed contest Static Judging discussion Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 10:32 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Greenman38633 Today at 10:15 am

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 9:24 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 10:50 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 9:33 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:38 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

CEF speed contest Static Judging discussion Empty
Live on Patrol

CEF speed contest Static Judging discussion

Go down

CEF speed contest Static Judging discussion Empty CEF speed contest Static Judging discussion

Post  pkrankow Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:38 pm

These are some awesome planes getting built. But what about showing them off?

Are we going to judge them? Popular vote? Scored categories?

What is your input on the mater?

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

CEF speed contest Static Judging discussion Empty Re: CEF speed contest Static Judging discussion

Post  JPvelo Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:33 pm

I like the idea of two categories. An open vote for "most scale" where a photo of the model and the subject are submitted and voting is open to all forum members. The other category would be "builders choice", open only contestants if that is possible. Builders choice would not judge on scale but builders favorite other than their own model.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

CEF speed contest Static Judging discussion Empty Re: CEF speed contest Static Judging discussion

Post  pkrankow Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:07 pm

So... how many images should be submitted for judging? What views are required and what are optional? Should more than 1 image be required, or ONLY 1 image permitted?

What resolution for submitting (well, I guess what resolution for proper display on the vast majority of computers... resolution reduced, but kinda hard to increase resolution)

Who else even wants to have static judging?

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:15 pm

I would say for sake if simplicity one photo each of the subject and model. These are just my ideas, I will leave the static judging portion up to someone else.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:12 pm

JPvelo wrote:I would say for sake if simplicity one photo each of the subject and model. These are just my ideas, I will leave the static judging portion up to someone else.

Jim

Sorta getting there. I would like to have static judging. I would also like feedback from more participants.

My original thoughts were three images posed identically (top, bottom, "show" side), with two that could be posed with more liberty (above front quarter, above opposite rear quarter). With the requirement of "above" meaning both wings can be seen "over" the fuselage.

Single image showing the best of the plane allows for more artistic potential and showing the plane in the best possible image. It also means that more focus could be put of staging the plane's "good side" making the detailing easier on the builders (no need to detail the bottom of the wing, or non-show side of the fuse)

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:24 pm

Phil, I like the idea of views from different angles. You write it up when you get your ideas sorted, and you can be the official beauty contest director. Jim should have final approval or veto on the proposal.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:57 pm

Although this contest only requires a "stand-off" profile scale model appearance.. many/most of us with entries, are putting a lot of thought/care into how they look. That being said; I feel that there should be 3-views at least... of both model and subject for dimensional accuracy.. and one more full-color photo each; of the model and subject, shown in the most flattering view IYO.  3-views could consist of 2 composite images.. which would make 4 images total.

This is how I'd like to see the entries presented.

Merry Christmas!  Santa 
Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:09 pm

Sounds like this is becoming more of a profile scale contest then a speed contest? Huh... 
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:30 pm

http://brodak.com/scale-rules

Maybe I'm lazy.  Brodak rules look pretty good and concise.  With the understanding that this is a "box" contest where the plane must be bigger than the box, regardless of scale.

Documentation would of course be in the form of links to appropriate websites and images.  Brodak limits to 4 pages, so 4 links maximum.  

The Brodak rules state: side view, end view, plan view, so these would be needed pictures.  I assume this means "show" side, front, and above views. (correct me if I am wrong) The above view will include rulers to verify size.

Photographer's choice would be the 4th picture ("quarter" view recommended).  

Judging would be done from properly cropped images of a certain size to effectively make the same distance from viewer to model.  (either 600x400, or 400x240, to be determined)  The submitted photographs would need to be bigger so the cropping and sizing produce the same size, or the submitted photographs would need cropped and sized properly by the photographer.  (I only have GIMP, and what comes in windows for this task, which is pretty powerful stuff for "free"  I can generate an "example" set of images relatively easily)

Participants will perform scored judging using Brodak rules on the other participant's planes.   Depending on the final number of entries we can limit how many planes each judge has to evaluate.  (for example: If we more than 5 participants, then each will only evaluate 5 models as assigned.)  (I am not sure how to handle multiple entries other than to limit static judging at a certain number.  People may need to judge more models so a minimum number of scores per model exist.)  

Places for scored would be based on a combination of the scores.  (Not sure how to normalize score, flat average? Drop top and lowest of 5, or lowest of 4, and add the 3 remaining? so minimum of 3 scores per model, maximum of 5.)

Popular judging would be open to all as a forum vote.  Multiple entries would be welcome.  "Photographer's choice" image only for popular judging sized to 800x600

Awards would be bragging rights.  

Photograph entries into the judging are not necessary to compete in speed, just a judging photograph from above with rulers to prove size.

Popular entries do not need to enter scored judging. Scored judging entries do not need to enter popular voting. Entries into both are welcome.

So I need opinions:
Image size for judging 600x400, or 400x240  Yes, these are small, this is supposed to be from a short distance.

Image processing by someone else, or the photographer?  Or case by case?  (I really don't want to be editing a dozen or more image sets.)

Score combination method, flat average (of 3 to 5 scores), or added 3 middle of (up to) 5?

Did I miss anything?

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GUS THE I.A. Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:44 pm

WOW! I was just modelling a representation of the planes, and hope they would do a fair job of flying. It will be easy to identify the planes because of similarity to their full-scale counterparts, and they DO fit within the guidelines of the rules for size.

As for documentation, all I could do is ask for one to enter the "N" number of the aircraft in an internet search, or the museum-in the case of the jet, and hope that they are able to view the same images that I have based my builds upon. I could take a picture of the finished models, but for size and cropping...I am at the mercy of whatever flops out of the camera, and what I can get to stick on here. Nothing fancy.

I am in favor of flight documentation video, to show the speed /times that the planes achieve, but I have never sent or posted a video on the web-so that may require someone with REAL technical saavy to help me with that! Wouldn't a lot of pictures and video kind of "clog-up" the site? I don't know how that works.

I'm just eager to get outside, and go flying again, to try out these new ships I have! I guess we have until March, to iron-out all the details. I'm in it for the fun!
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:27 pm

Videos are going onto youtube or similar.

Phil

pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:56 pm

pkrankow wrote:Videos are going onto youtube or similar.

Phil

That's right. Gus, the forum itself is only a text file. All pictures(with the exception of avatars and possibly the gallery) videos are only hyperlinks out to the host servers where the pics and vids actually reside. Even the embedded pictures and videos you see in posts aren't actually on the forum server, it's just magic that makes it look like that. They're really on servimg.com or photobucket, youtube, etc., with some trickery to appear to be here at CEF. So there's no way to bog the forum with multimedia.

However... if lots of members are clicking on the same video in a thread here, it could get bottlenecked. That's why I always click the "Watch on Youtube" button on the imbedded videos. It usually runs more smoothly, because Youtube/Google has much bigger faster machinery.

Hope that makes sense.

Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RK Flyer Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:52 pm

I am new to this forum & not the most expierenced guy here but it seems like the cat is out of the bag and making rules after so many planes have been built or being built is not the best way to go.
I think at this point it would be best to keep it simple........

RK Flyer.....
RK Flyer
RK Flyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down